Garage Lift

@Wld87GN

It is nice when companies are open about the details for you to make an informed decision. At least now you know what you are up against trying to find an affordable, certified lift that is American made. Below is my thought process from what I remember from 2010 when I eventually bought a non-certified Worth lift. I apologize for sounding like a Worth salesman, it is not my intention. As you are finding out it's hard to get all of the facts, so if anything I say sways your view you should double check me as well.

Similar to you, I was also set on getting a certified lift back in 2010. I didn't understand why any reputable manufacturer would not be ALI / ANSI certified and looked at it as a black mark, which maybe in some sense I still do. I asked the folks at Worth (you can get real people there too) why they were not certified, if I remember correctly it just boiled down to money. As you said, that is the only standard for lifts in the USA, so as supply and demand... they can charge the companies whatever they want (even the UL website says something to the affect of the cert. process being super expensive).

My understanding is that Worth, as a small American manufacturer can't be competitive in their prices after paying the cert. fees when the big guys expenses are marginalized by selling thousands of units. You can asks them and I think they have documentation, but if I remember correctly I was told that Worth has tested each of their lifts to failure well past the designed load (I forget if it was 1.5X or 2.5X). Also I take solace in the fact that it is a company that has been in business and subjected to American litigation for the previous 47 years. If there products weren't safe they'd have gone the way of the Blitz gas can company ( an interesting read btw).

Here is what ultimately made my decision. Look at the pictures of the 2 post lifts above. Notice the err similarities? I don't know who's design it originally was, but there has been some major um er borrowing?? in many two post lifts. Heck if you'd switch the rotary and atlas badges, I'd never be able to tell the difference in the above pictures, even the colors are the same. My worth lift is basically the same design and since I bought mine back in 2010, I've seen basically the same lift with I bet ten different names on it (Eagle Bendpak...etc. etc.). I'm betting many of these come from the same factory in China, many are certified and some aren't. But because they are so similar, they are fairly easy to compare.

So to make my decision, I found a lift that was certified and had some online drawings showing the cross-sectional dimensions of the main uprights and the footprint and thickness of the base plate. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it was a Bendpak, I'm not sure. What really sealed the deal for me was, compared to this certified lift, the dimensions of the uprights for the Worth lift were noticeably beefier and the base plate was larger in both area and thickness. A large base plate is s a nice feature and I think is why you can install the Worth lift on only 4" of concrete. But the uprights of the worth were also wider and of greater thickness, thus assuming the material is as good will be stronger than the "certified" lifts in both areas. The differences are also apparent when you notice the shipping weight between the Bendpak XPR10A (1800 lb) and the worth (2200lb). Now unless the differences can be accounted for somewhere else, it seemed to me like the Worth has about 400 lb more steel, American Steel.

To compare;

Worth Lift:
400 lb more steel
American Steel
Mostly American Supply Chain
Subject to American Law suits
47 year old company
Larger Uprights Smaller Uprights
Much Larger Baseplate (2'X2'X 5/8")
American Welds
American Fasteners??

Certified Chinese Lift:
ANSI / UL 201 Certified
Chinese Steel
Mostly Chinese Supply Chain
Not sure about law suits
Possibly Old Name (Bendpak, etc.)
Smaller Baseplate
Chinese welds
Chinese Fasteners

In short I went with the Worth. For me all of this just overwhelmed any uneasiness of not having a certification sticker on the side of my lift.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look at Challenger and Western as well. I didn't know at the time but I think they offer models that are mostly manufactured here and are probably certified to boot. At any rate, if one can afford it a Mohawk is the ultimate lift.

Keep us informed on what you ultimately decide and thanks for sharing in the process. I know it is tough, but look on the bright side, you'll soon have a nice lift! Hopefully you'll never have to slide under a car again!

20131105_165728_zps84cedf5d.jpg
20131105_165755_zpsde505c0b.jpg

I have the same lift as you tlap, a direct lift 4 post but the long version, I also got the center jack and it really makes a nice package to work on your cars with.

One other nice thing I bought with the lift was a set of race ramps to replace the crazy heavy factory ramps. These ramps were designed for this lift,
and probably weigh less than 5 lbs. per ramp. I will put a pic with it.

@tlap & ghall, what is the lift time with a vehicle on the Direct Lift. I saw a you tube video that showed about 2 minutes for the Direct Lift from ground to top with a car.

That seems like a long time, just wanted to confirm.

It does take some time, although, as I get "older" I take advantage of the time, gather my thoughts and enjoy the rest. I will time it tonight and let you know.

@Barracuda1968, I think I remember reading your story @ transamcountry, you bought from GregLift or something? Shipping issues and what not... anyway it sounds like overall you are happy with your purchase as well?

@Barracuda1968, I think I remember reading your story @ transamcountry, you bought from GregLift or something? Shipping issues and what not... anyway it sounds like overall you are happy with your purchase as well?

Small world! Yeah I had a shipping issue. They delivered 2 lifts to Mt Pleasant where I live and gave me the other guy's lift and he got mine. I called them and got some women on the phone and didn't care for her too much. In stead of waiting for the shipping company to fix it I just went and got my lift back and gave the other guy his lift. The funny part was the other guy was already setting up lift when I got there.

But other than that I'm satisfied with the lift so far.

My lift

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1383769564499.jpg
    1383769564499.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 1383769577555.jpg
    1383769577555.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 140
I have a 4 post lift called a Back Yard Buddy. The are made here locally in Warren Ohio 44483 I bought it used off of a guy that had corvettes and just used it fo storage. Thats really all I wanted it for but I have done some work with it like exhaust,oil chages etc. I can move it around with supplied casters by myself and it doesnt have to be "lagged" down and the concrete only needs to be 4". I also like the uprght support beams are solid tubing wth notches cut into them periodically or "dogs" to lock the upper into location should the hyraulics fail. Some of the other 4 post lifts the uprights are not tubing but folded metal tha is oen on one side.

I'd like to have a drive on with center jacks just for quick work etc and I like my two post for trannys and exhaust etc. They both have their benefits.

I want a drive on where I can store 2 cars in 1 garage space .. I have 12 foot ceelings heat an a/c

@tlap & ghall, what is the lift time with a vehicle on the Direct Lift. I saw a you tube video that showed about 2 minutes for the Direct Lift from ground to top with a car.

That seems like a long time, just wanted to confirm.

Not 2 minutes, seems like it 45 seconds from what i remember but i am not sure. I don't mind the time it takes going up, i like to watch all 4 posts as it goes up to make sure it is going up level and not getting hung on things. Honestly i wouldn't care if it was 2 minutes----1 min, 2 min. makes no difference to me when i am doing something as important as raising a car.

I know you asked for 2 post or 4 post but here is an alternative. I had a two post but sold my house. I am renting a house until I find a new home. The garage is huge but with 8 foot ceilings, I went with this Bendpak md-6xp scissor lift ($1800). It lifts 6000 lbs and the rear axle area and under engine/ front wheels area it totally exposed. It also lifts the car pretty high. Its the best I can do for my space. I do miss my 2 post. :( Here is a pic of someone else who owns one.
BendPakMD-6XP-Digits.jpg
md-6xpporshe.JPG