Garage Ideas

Make sure you have minimum 12' clearance to roof rafters.
Use 3500 lb concrete, I went 8" & used rebar - over kill, but I don't want to drop the TR.
Asymmetric arm Lift.

Finished mine 30x32 this summer. Put radiant heat in the floor, heat with a water heater/propane absolutely awesome heat. No drafts or noise.
Mine is a pole design with 3-2x6's laminated for the poles. Ran 2x4's horizontally on both sides of poles, walls end up being 10" thick.
Open trusses for attic storage with drop down steps.
Lots of lights and outlets. I put outlets every 8' all the way around. Should have put in a couple more 220v.
Hose reels for power and air. My old shop had wall outlets and constantly had leaks.
I'll dig up more pics
pex5.jpgIMG00159-20110621-1343.jpg

004.JPG

Attachments

• 303.JPG
    303.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
  • 304.JPG
    304.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
  • 305.JPG
    305.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 256
  • 306.JPG
    306.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 219
nice work on the inside map maker, I like the cabinets and benches. Is that radial arm saw a digital readout model?

Thanks. No, its just a plain old Craftsman 10". The welder and torch are in one of the corners not pictured.

A few pics of my back shop, been out of it for 10 months, just getting it cleaned and organized again, AC, Painted floor ( no problems as all ) plenty of lights, cabinets, worktops, parts bins are a must !
Welding equipment, metal working stuff, mill etc.

Attachments

• Shop 1.JPG
    Shop 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 212
  • Shop 2.JPG
    Shop 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 223
  • Shop 3.JPG
    Shop 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
A few pics of my back shop, been out of it for 10 months, just getting it cleaned and organized again, AC, Painted floor ( no problems as all ) plenty of lights, cabinets, worktops, parts bins are a must !
Welding equipment, metal working stuff, mill etc.
Looks nice, I bet youve done a lot of work out there, Also I see the dog bone creeper in the back ground, I used to work at the place that made those. There was less than 20$ total cost to manufactor them and they sell for 90$ plus.

Love that creeper, so did my kids when they were younger, spun them around like tops, would not own anything else, glad they make money on them, they save me lots os cussing from the old locked up wheel on a pebble routine. Been a few projects in there ! got one now too

Attachments

• Nova front.JPG
    Nova front.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 165
  • Nova rear.JPG
    Nova rear.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • Nova side 2.JPG
    Nova side 2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • Nova side.JPG
    Nova side.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
  • Nova, graham, Dogs.JPG
    Nova, graham, Dogs.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • Nova, Graham.JPG
    Nova, Graham.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
Just finishnig mine and here's some things I'm glad I did for your consideration:
garage door: Lift Master 8' tall x 10' wide insulated no glass. direct drive motor mounted on the shaft so no chain or screw drive mounted on the ceiling and super quiet.
Narrow glass block type windows on the sides, 7' above ground. Floor is the Rust-o-leum but using clear with rustic concrete stain additive on the first coat. 2nd coat clear only using only 25% of the anti-skid additive but added some metalic glitter. Very happy with the results. put a construction joint in any direction more than 25'. Use 3500 psi concrete and add fiber to prevent (reduce the chance of) cracking. Four post lift is great to have. Also adds additional parking underneath. Must have minimum 11' ceiling height to fully lift a GN. 12' would be nice to have for taller vehicles. Mount overhead lighting to the sides of the parking area (not directly over the car) so to cause less shadowing (more light is good). Overhead electrical outlets. For heat and A/C, I installed a P-TAC, wall unit like you find in a motel. Enoy the project.

*feel free to move thread*

Ok so I just got with a builder and am going to start having my house built. Just wanted to get some ideas about garage ideas that you guys have done or would like to do in your garage. Heres what i have so far 2 car garage one stall is two deep(due to lots being narrow). Insulated walls and door, mop sink, plenty of outlets and on the ceiling, 220v outlet, and will be coating the floor (any ideas with what?brand?)

:) More Space...........Planning, Planning & more Planning.............is the most important thing...........the bigger the better. 12' -14' ceilings.......I like the compressor out side in a small shelter...........easier to work on plus you can do a larger unit.........if you have access to the rear , front and rear drive through doors are great. Windows are great. Cieling exhaust fans. Man door to the outside, if your going to have any equipment like a mill,lathe,grinders, welders Etc. figure out the locations and pre wire everything........110 volt boxes every 6 ft plus ceiling boxes. 3-way switch all your lighting, 100-amp panel in that area a minium, all codes provide for hard wiring your lights so plan ahead and layer your lighting for different areas so that if your working in one corner only that needs to be lit..........extra 220 outlets/ Sheetrock and insulate............. pre wire for cable TV and your stereo .......you'll spend plenty of time out there. I also have floor jacking points embedded in the concrete in two places whereby I can hold down a frame and straighten it.............I do not have a car lift but have two one ton overhead hoists on a trolley that cover the entire area which allows me to pull a body off or change motors. Heat of some sort................it's Ok to overthink it cause when its done it's to late.:)

I have a "man cave"' it's 26x40 detached with forced hot air heat, a/c, cable plasma tv & internet, kick ass stereo system, 100 amp panel, insulated & sheet rocked, (2) lifts, plenty of electric, compressor, etc......Here's my REGRETS: Insulate it with spray foam...it costs more upfront but man does it make a difference versus batt insulation. My neighbor has a similar garage and his is sealed way better for heat/air purposes then mine. Ceiling height, my township wouldn't allow me more then 1o' finished...I can still stuff a GN on the top and slide one underneath but it's tight...go 12'-14' if possible! Lighting, load it up w/ flourescents and put them on (2) circuts so when your just hanging out you have ample light and when it's project time...you can really light up the garage. If I ever redid it, I would do radiant floor heat but I don't necesarilly regret that just would've been nice.

I haven't seen anything in this thread about a pit. I like the idea of having one. It can be dangerous to have,but to a responsible owner,it can be a great thing to have.

I'm hunting for a house to buy. My last "prospect" was a tranny shop with apartments attached. It had lifts and a pit. It sold the same day I found it.

I haven't seen anything in this thread about a pit. I like the idea of having one. It can be dangerous to have,but to a responsible owner,it can be a great thing to have.

I'm hunting for a house to buy. My last "prospect" was a tranny shop with apartments attached. It had lifts and a pit. It sold the same day I found it.

I know someone that has a Pit in there Shop.............but he has a huge shop and that area is dedicated. I've used it but your still limited to the size of the hole and the clearance between the ground and the car unless you jack it up..........Personally I believe it takes up to much space in the average shop and not that much benefit........................ A lift is much more versatile..............just my opinion!

I have a "man cave"' it's 26x40 detached with forced hot air heat, a/c, cable plasma tv & internet, kick ass stereo system, 100 amp panel, insulated & sheet rocked, (2) lifts, plenty of electric, compressor, etc......Here's my REGRETS: Insulate it with spray foam...it costs more upfront but man does it make a difference versus batt insulation. My neighbor has a similar garage and his is sealed way better for heat/air purposes then mine. Ceiling height, my township wouldn't allow me more then 1o' finished...I can still stuff a GN on the top and slide one underneath but it's tight...go 12'-14' if possible! Lighting, load it up w/ flourescents and put them on (2) circuts so when your just hanging out you have ample light and when it's project time...you can really light up the garage. If I ever redid it, I would do radiant floor heat but I don't necesarilly regret that just would've been nice.

Sounds like a nice setup!

30' x 40' 14' ceiling, 3500 lb floor with rebar in lift area, steel foam insulated, 100 amp minimum electric service, individually switched lights completely around wall, minisplit A/C (Older home, need to upgrade A/C) - make sure unit can handle house & garage, it'll be running low speed when garage is set for economy (60* winter, 85* summer).
Definitely asymmetric lift - current one is not asymmetric - always learn the HARD way.
Currently have 12' ceiling & need 14' - house is for sale, moving to larger lot, with house.
Code doesn't allow eaves to be higher the house, however roof slant & 30' depth allows lift to be placed in area with higher ceiling.
Mighty Mule gate to back yard. Need only 1 garage door opener, however all three would be better.
Monitored alarm & at least 2 big, mean dogs - 12 gauge also a good idea.