Garage Ideas

dynoman said:
Many times I needed to hold something down on the floor or a point to pull from and wish I had installed at least one. My dad did body & fender work for 63 years and I guess I grew up with them , just nice to have .

Ok - makes sense. I just figure it out in my pea brain! Hope i get build my own garage one day - i'm taking notes here.

Make yourself a nice sturdy workbench, top it with stainless steel sheet, or a sheet of white formica, like I did, include a good working vise, and a rubber walk mat at the bench to help with standing for long hours at the bench to correct mistakes, like I do...:rolleyes:

DSC_0225.JPG

In my other half of the larger garage I made this workstation.....and keep tools at bench. Makes for quick access to tools for correcting more mistakes like I do.....:rolleyes:

This is my Grand National work station.....among other things....notice a vise....and I have a little grinder on the left side for polishing or buffing small parts, etc. The exposed walls are excellent for posting things, like overdue bills, eviction notices, arrest warrents, speeding tickets, etc..even helpful for holding up wiring diagrams, assembly diagrams.......the mirror is an old medicine cabinet I found on the side of the road...makes for a place for a first aid station, due to idiot mistakes with tools, plus a handy mirror to remover metal parts, caustic liquids, tacks, nails, glue from your eyes (that is, if you can still see) The map on the wall is from my late Dad's office in Vietnam at Da nang...makes for a great conversation piece when my true heroes (Vietnam and all war veterans)come over for a cold one and show me where they served during this war. The catalytic converter is now on the GN (you can see right through it) hmmmmmm...bet you know why!:D

I'm just lucky to have all this room to work in and I just keep the work area heated by a Reddy Heater, kerosene powered....works real nice, that is, until I start to pass out for some reason.......

Bruce '87 Grand National

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG
Oh, and make sure you get yourself some garage clock so you can see how many hours you've spent doing absolutely nothing but screwing up the job on your Turbo Buick.....like I do..!:rolleyes: I even have an old time clock that still works, so I can punch in at the beginning of the job and then punch out just to show the workforce how lucky they are that I'm now retired.

Bruce '87 Grand National

*feel free to move thread*

Ok so I just got with a builder and am going to start having my house built. Just wanted to get some ideas about garage ideas that you guys have done or would like to do in your garage. Heres what i have so far 2 car garage one stall is two deep(due to lots being narrow). Insulated walls and door, mop sink, plenty of outlets and on the ceiling, 220v outlet, and will be coating the floor (any ideas with what?brand?)
Don't forget the garage bathroom/toilet. You don't want to be tracking oil into the house when you have to go. :eek:

Get a reznor
Put electrical outlets on the ceiling for the door opener, even if you do not plan to do an opener yet
Use scissor trusses for added overhead height
If you are going to do any type of real work in there, ditch the floor coating. It wont stand up to a loaded cherry picker, 3 ton jack, jack stands being skidded acrossed the floor. Also, sticky tires will pull it up.
Vist www.garagejournal.com then click "the forum".

instead of dry wall ,I used OSB plywood for my walls, this way you can hang anything anywhere!
plan your lighting, you can never have to much, but.. put in switches so you only use what you need.
in my 30x50 garage, I have 10- 4ft florescent lights, on 4 switches, and still installing work station lights,
group your "dirty work" in one area, near the door, so its easier to clean up.

Get a reznor
If you are going to do any type of real work in there, ditch the floor coating. It wont stand up to a loaded cherry picker, 3 ton jack, jack stands being skidded acrossed the floor. Also, sticky tires will pull it up.
".

my rustoleum floor held up just fine to all those. short of a couple of burns from the torch and weld splatter... im was impressed. bought it home depot.

An insulated garage door with a metal back cover are great for winter work. R-12 minimum with perimeter weatherstrip will keep the heat in the garage.
10' wide for single or 18'or 20' for a double wide door give you plenty of room. Run the door track to clear a lift. I used a #194 Series door from Overhead Door Corp.

Lots of good ideas in here. If at all possible do not install any columns to hold up the beam(s). That is the one thing I don't like about my garage. Darn column in the middle of it. Really wish they went with a steel beam. But OTOH, I'm glad to have a garage.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Lots of good ideas in here. If at all possible do not install any columns to hold up the beam(s). That is the one thing I don't like about my garage. Darn column in the middle of it. Really wish they went with a steel beam. But OTOH, I'm glad to have a garage.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Micro-Lam, might solve your problem

I used the rustoleum industrial grade coating (menards)without the flecks and it held up great, even did a couple burnouts on it. Jacks, jack stands, cherry picker with inline 6 manual trans and transfer case all at once.

Biggest thing with epoxy is to NOT seal the concrete at all. If you seal it, don't epoxy it, it won't stick. Also make sure you acid etch it very well.

I did a rebuild on a car in the late 80s @ my old house in Indy. The smell drifted thru the house and ran my roommate out for a few days. Install exhaust fans!

ceiling fan or wall mount fan if you cant do a/c, about twice as many lights as you think you need and really good locks on your man door, no windows or some entry deterents over them if you do..... helps you to be able to keep the stuff you worked so had for. Old office style file cabinets are great for keeping stuff in. This is a great thread I really like seeing other peoples workshops.
P1070005.JPG
P1070031.JPG

Few more pointers: Hard to beat the pole buildings for price and finishing the interior yourself...Keep ceiling at 12 foot mininum that way you can install a lift at some point. Go with min 8 foot wide garage doors....

My son mounted my heater system in the ceiling that way no floor space is wasted.

Put a small trap door in your one of your side doors and adopt 2-3 cats from the same family.....eliminates any rodent problems in the winter....well worth it. (We have two I brought up from our old house) They love the lay out and get to stay warm in the winter....

Also 12 foot walls drywall comes in that size making it easy to do interior walls...

We made our driveway go completely around the pole building...never have to back up a truck and trailer.

Enjoy it....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dual doors. Meaning if u want to drive straight through u can. So if one care is laid up u can still drive around n do work on other side.