Garage Ideas

Knowing I wanted a lift, and within my space and budget constraints, I had a 26x14x15 garage built. 10x10 insulated door with high lift track, Lift Master 8500 wall mounted opener, walk in door, two windows, sub panel, 4 4ft LED lights and extra conduit for future cable TV. Still need to add a few more outlets, then insulation and wall board. 4 post Atlas lift fits well with room to walk around and storage in the rear. Two car garage in a one car space is nice.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I just added a 4 post lift to my garage that took quite a bit of work to make happen. Had to tear down the ceiling, re frame and drywall it, get the garage door setup for high lift conversion, and install a Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener. Also added a programable heater with a thermostat and a nice sound system. Just have to mud the walls and prep it for painting.View attachment 326638View attachment 326639View attachment 326640
I've been contemplating this also. Did you talk to a structural engineer? We get heavy snow here and I'd need to do it to code in case we ever sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've been contemplating this also. Did you talk to a structural engineer? We get heavy snow here and I'd need to do it to code in case we ever sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No I didn't speak to a engineer. Mine wasn't a structural thing. The builder put in a drop ceiling in the garage to save on cost. None of the support beams were touched.

LED lighting from Northern Tool:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200679033_200679033

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200679036_200679036

I replaced the two incandescent bulbs with the first linked bulbs/lamps. Jeez, you'd think that the roof was removed and the sun was shining in...

RemoveBeforeFlight
Thanks for sharing. I went to Menards to see what they had. They have an LED bulb on sale for $25 and a reflector for $12. The reflector screws into your socket and the bulb screws into the reflector. So the result is similar to the light in your first link at Northern Tool. Menards is running their 11 % rebate deal right now.

Make sure your garage is wide enough. Mine is sure not. In my opinion a garage should be wide enough so that doors for both cars can be opened and not touch the other. That as well as garage door heights tall enough for a large truck if needed. Mine will take a big van. The other comments above are all great.
Ben

My garage came with the house. It is not what I would have built. Just a standard 2 stall, have to pull one car in backwards so I can open the door to get in/out. It does have a floor drain but, over the years, the floor has settled and the drain is in the highest part of the floor! To top it off it's only wired for 110 so forget a good compressor. If you want to see how not to set up a garage, come see mine!

I’m going to be redoing my current two car garage 20x 24 going to 36x 28 with a 2nd floor. Also will be installing a 2 post lift. I’m pretty sure I will need a 13ft ceiling but trying to figure out how wide to go with the 13ft ceiling? Above the lift I’m going to use this area for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just added a 4 post lift to my garage that took quite a bit of work to make happen. Had to tear down the ceiling, re frame and drywall it, get the garage door setup for high lift conversion, and install a Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener. Also added a programable heater with a thermostat and a nice sound system. Just have to mud the walls and prep it for painting.View attachment 326638View attachment 326639View attachment 326640

How high did you have to go for that lift set up?

How high did you have to go for that lift set up?

10 feet is the minimum, but the ceiling is now at 11 feet high, which allows the car to go to the very last notch on the lift for maximum height. Now my ceiling looks like this.
IMG_20180822_1813196.jpg