Garage Advice new Build

Hi Billy
The fan is from Home Depot.
Fenceham 84 in. Natural Iron Ceiling Fan with Remote Control

It was $219 and is pretty bad ass without the bad ass price!

Not much to report on the new garage. I got the OG painted and put back together I still have to pressure wash and seal the floor. I started moving my stuff back in and organizing stuff which is going to take awhile. I got the Audi out of storage, the Buick will probably be next as it is on my trailer in storage and I am going to need that soon to go get the Mustang.

I am still waiting on my new tool boxes and welder to come in and hope to get started on the work benches next week. I have been getting a lot of small stuff done it is a never ending project. It is getting nice outside and I have a ton of stuff that needs finished outside along with the mud pit yard. Hopefully they will be pouring the driveway first week in May.

Attachments

• 0404191217.jpg
    0404191217.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 0407191943.jpg
    0407191943.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 0407191943a.jpg
    0407191943a.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 0411190705.jpg
    0411190705.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 72
It’s looking amazing and the small detail stuff is never ending especially once you start working on projects in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been awhile so I thought I would post an update especially since it is raining again today! Most of the new updates have been outside. I got the new driveway poured and the new covered porch and patio put together. The builder finished up all the small issues and it is starting to look like a completed project. I still need to finish the yard and seed it but I did get a whole shit ton of long overdue landscaping and cleaning done so far this spring.

I got the workbench installed and redid my old red Craftsman tool chest in black truck bed liner to match the New Age cabinets underneath the workbench. It turned out nice and actually looks pretty good for a well abused 35 year old tool chest lol! The pair of HF 44" tool chest fit perfectly and are completely level where they sit. I don't think I am going to build a cabinet for them like I originally planned and will probably leave them like they are. I am planning to build a work table, 4x6 with 1/4 plate steel top, it is going in front of the workbench in the middle of the floor so you can work around it. I have to get the welders set up and running first, I just picked up a 2019 AlphaTig and pretty excited about learning how to use it. I also have a small Miller Mig and I am planning to mount both with bottles on one of the HF welding cabinets I am planning to pick up soon.

I took the Audi to a SCCA Track night May 22 and it overheated due to a bad fan which resulted in me taking an off track excursion with coolant puking all over the place, luckily no damage. I had to replace it so I dug into my first car project in the new garage. On any other car replacing the fan is usually a pretty quick and easy task. Not with an Audi, on these cars you have to remove the enitre front end and core support. So like everything else, while I am in there I decided to dig into a bunch of other shit that needed done and the car was apart for three weeks with parts everywhere. It is finally back together and I am just waiting on the body shop to re-spray the front bumper and if all goes well I can make the NASA HPDE event in July.

No more projects until the lift is installed!! Which I did finally get an email about yesterday from Greg Smith and may have here by the end of the month.

The boats fit nicely in the new garage and I am able to back them in from the original garage which worked out well, cleaning and detailing my ski boat every spring outside in the Sun was always a real chore it is really nice being able to do everything under roof. Even though we haven't seen the sun and it hasn't stopped raining here since I put the damn thing in the lake 10 days ago! I am hoping to get the Chris Craft in the water soon, it has been an 8 year project that is FINALLY getting done. Im planning to make the Conneaut Lake Antique boat show on July 13th which I have been wanting to do for the last 4 years since the boat was first finished!

The Buick is still in storage and I plan to pick it up once the Chirs Craft is out and up at the lake. Hopefully I will have a lift by then and can finish putting the Buick back together with the new motor. I hope to have it all finished and sorted out by the Buick Nationals this year. I am actually planning a whole new build for the T-type. I am going the pro-touring route with it and may even try some road racing with it. I also have some new plans for the Mustang, other than selling it! I would like to get it back out again this year and finally get an 8 sec time slip with it as it sits. I may convert it to a single 76mm turbo, I am also on the waiting list for Drag week but that is a pipe dream at least for this year. All I need now is some extra TIME to get all this shit done!

It is really hard to believe I owned all this crap this long and just now finally built a garage for it all lol!

Attachments

• 31791.jpeg
    31791.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 0618190751_HDR.jpg
    0618190751_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 0618190752_HDR.jpg
    0618190752_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 0618190753.jpg
    0618190753.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 0618190753_HDR.jpg
    0618190753_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 0618190801_HDR.jpg
    0618190801_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 79
  • 0618190807.jpg
    0618190807.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 0618190807a.jpg
    0618190807a.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 75
Looks great. I just put a flat panel TV in mine. Comcast sent me a wireless cable box that works unexpectedly well. Avoided running the wire back out of the basement and into my detached garage which is a slight pain.

Boys and our toys!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am planning to build a work table, 4x6 with 1/4 plate steel top
That's basically what I have , all steel table with 3x3 angle iron legs , 1/4 plate top & a heavy vise on one corner . That vise gets used a lot !!
Your shop looks great and nice to have most everything on wheels for cleaning . Get yourself 1 or 2 of the HF 2 drawer roll carts & magnetic parts trays , they are nice for when you have a car on the lift .

OK 9 pages and close to 9 months later we have BUICK CONTENT for this thread lol!!

I finally got the lift installed and working and OMG what a PIA that was, Kudos to Greg Smith Equipment for fantastic customer support but if I were to do it again I dont care how cheap that Atlas lift is I would go with a better brand. The instruction manual was total shit and they changed so many things some of the people at GSE didn't even realize the changes. Eitherway it is in and it functions and will do the job I need it to do and was a little over $2k installed with me doing the install.

It is getting down to the wire for time and to get the engine back in the T-type in time for BG this year, it is going to be tight as I have a lot of things I want to do with the car and my time is extremely limited. The new S2 motor is still in plastic wrap down at my buddies shop since I got it back last year in November but it is all assembled and ready to go other than the heads being installed. I also have a new fuel system and plan on converting it over to E85 I need to install. I also have a Racepak from my TSO car that I am planning to install along with the dash. I am hoping it will be a 9 second fully optioned, all steel body, foot brake car with AC show quality paint and frame off resto!!

I have also been busy with racing my bicycle. When I got out of racing Buicks in 2010 I got into triathlons and road cycling but now I am focusing just on cycling. The technology in these bikes is incredible and it really is a lot of fun and I am having just as much fun in the new garage working on my bikes. I did a few time trials this year and did really well placing in my age group both times. This is something I rarely do in triathlon because I absolutely suck at swimming and I am OK at running but seem to be able to smash the bike! I have another TT in Sept that I am training for now and hope to do well at it is a flat fast course at Presquile Island in Erie Pa.

And if you could care less about the really cool tricked out bicycle, that is also a pic of the the new welding set up in the background that I am planning to tackle some fab projects with. One of them is possibly building my own bicycle. I have been practicing and starting to get the hang of welding with TIG. I have been really happy with Alpha TIG the new one comes with the upgraded Nova pedal which takes care of the #1 complaint about the unit. Seems like a really good deal and works pretty well at least in my newbie opinion. The Vulcan welding cart from Harbor Freight is the absolute bomb for $319, very sturdy with nice casters etc.

Now I just need to retire so I have freakin time to do all this shit!!

Attachments

• 35948.jpeg
    35948.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 35953.jpeg
    35953.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 43
  • 35727.jpeg
    35727.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 43
Few additional pics of the welding set up

Attachments

• 0620192102.jpg
    0620192102.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 0620192102a.jpg
    0620192102a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 0620192101.jpg
    0620192101.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Mine is up and running just a lot of little crap that has to get done. Could not wait to get the POS of a contractor out of there! Nobody wants to do work anymore they just want to collect a paycheck. Been working on the soffit and soon gutters. Need to finish the steps out back got the stringers done. Inside the downstairs is painted with drylok and exterior latex on the walls. I installed the garage doors. Cars are tucked away and safe. Floors are not getting done anytime soon way too much $$$. I was gonna buy an Atlas lift from Gregg smith since they are local. I have 12ft 10” to work with so shouldn’t be too bad. I have a good hammer drill was gonna use anchor bolts unless I have to use epoxy glued bolts?? I was looking at the 9k lift.
29e3930d383e9cc54530ad09551799e5.jpg
971700844232a11eb085ebcf1a2e3aa0.jpg
08030302713bd4da36d9628d737f74d7.jpg
05d5dc0d8b7b2a4c540011ad38387091.jpg

Garage looks good, what are you putting upstairs those are some pretty heavy duty beams!

Yeah it's never ending with getting it all put together. I still have a long list of stuff that needs done. I think the next projects will tackling the air lines and installing boiler and parts for the hydronic floor.

I only have 11' ceilings and had to use a base plate lift. I can lift a Buick all the way up on the lift and still have plenty of clearance. My truck will be a different story but I dont plan on lifting it much if at all.

I didn't use epoxy on the anchor bolts I was told not to my GS but now wish I would have. The instructions were a mess and the dimensions for the layout were not even correct which took time to figure out. They sent me plastic shims to level the columns, seriously plastic under a 9000# lift columns. GS was great to deal with they replaced them with steel but still I had to stop and wait twice for them to send me shims They also sent sleeved anchor studs for the base plate, throw them out and just get tapcon's, I still don't see how you can install them easily without making a mess which I did with one of them then went out and got 5/16 tapcons. With your ceiling ht I am guessing you are going with a std overhead lift and not need a base plate?

There are some little things with the lift I wish I would have considered at before hand. This lift does not have a single latch release you have two pull releases under each carriage, not a big deal but I didnt realize it and would have like a single release handle on the column instead. Finish is not that great and the tow motor tore up the paint on the one column pretty bad since there was little to no shipping material on it and you cant see it until you've taken it all apart and stand the column up. Their solution is to send you a can of blue paint spray paint. Last the drive through width of the Atlas is on the narrow side and the Danmar and Bend Pak have more clearance. But again the price is hard to beat on the Atlas and they all pretty seem to be the same design.

Mine is up and running just a lot of little crap that has to get done. Could not wait to get the POS of a contractor out of there! Nobody wants to do work anymore they just want to collect a paycheck. Been working on the soffit and soon gutters. Need to finish the steps out back got the stringers done. Inside the downstairs is painted with drylok and exterior latex on the walls. I installed the garage doors. Cars are tucked away and safe. Floors are not getting done anytime soon way too much $$$. I was gonna buy an Atlas lift from Gregg smith since they are local. I have 12ft 10” to work with so shouldn’t be too bad. I have a good hammer drill was gonna use anchor bolts unless I have to use epoxy glued bolts?? I was looking at the 9k lift.
29e3930d383e9cc54530ad09551799e5.jpg
971700844232a11eb085ebcf1a2e3aa0.jpg
08030302713bd4da36d9628d737f74d7.jpg
05d5dc0d8b7b2a4c540011ad38387091.jpg

I like that garage door. Different.

I like that garage door. Different.

I was going to get a contractor for the doors but I figured I’d do it my self. I had some Buick buddies come over and lend a hand. The high lift door had absolutely no instructions with it. So once I had it up my one friend came over to show me what had to go where since he was in the business for years.

As for the lift I’m gonna be able to install a traditional lift. I wanted the ceiling tall enough on this one side. I’ve used tapcoms on basically everything in this garage so far but i got these anchor bolts from Hilti and they work pretty good on anchoring some 2x 8 I had upstairs. I might have to step up to the 5/8 or 3/4 bolts for the lift plate.
Actually upstairs above it is basically a storage loft. There is also going to be a 20x21 room up there. It’s all framed out. Just have to start working on the insulation.

I was going to get a contractor for the doors but I figured I’d do it my self. I had some Buick buddies come over and lend a hand. The high lift door had absolutely no instructions with it. So once I had it up my one friend came over to show me what had to go where since he was in the business for years.

As for the lift I’m gonna be able to install a traditional lift. I wanted the ceiling tall enough on this one side. I’ve used tapcoms on basically everything in this garage so far but i got these anchor bolts from Hilti and they work pretty good on anchoring some 2x 8 I had upstairs. I might have to step up to the 5/8 or 3/4 bolts for the lift plate.
Actually upstairs above it is basically a storage loft. There is also going to be a 20x21 room up there. It’s all framed out. Just have to start working on the insulation.

Is that room for when you are in trouble?

Is that room for when you are in trouble?

I wish, I could not put in a bathroom due to the township regulations. They are so worried about buildings like this due to people renting them out. The garage would have needed to be attached in order to do plumbing. Everybody keeps asking when am I putting my pool table up there!

Hi Billy,
Its a pretty nice fan moves a decent amount of air I have been pretty happy with it.

I should be working on my today Buick but got a smoking deal on a new bike frame so here is my latest project and build.

For any cyclist out there it will have a fully integrated Di2, ProVibe aerobar, disc brakes, Custom built I9 45mm wheelset and the entire bike should come in right around 15 pounds! I can't wait to ride it!

Attachments

• 0914191733.jpg
    0914191733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19