Garage Advice new Build

I also have a steel beam coming to support the 22' load bearing wall we are removing off the back of the current garage. I am just hoping the weather cooperates. My builder said 3 weeks in ideal conditions which means it could be sometime in April with Ohio weather!

Are you going to be able to have a second story entrance on the back side with it being built into a hillside? What are you planning for the second story?

The beams are engineered wood only getting steel beams over the garage doors. Might get a pulley bean put in to move engines in and out. I wanted to do a back door but they would not work with the plans and what the code was for having a door. So later on down the way I’m gonna have to get the back door cut out if I really want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a 34x30 12’1” ceiling 3500# fiber mesh and wire mesh, needed something to hold the tubing for the radiant heat just make sure you know where the lift is going so you don’t drill through your tubing

Thanks, Would I still need to be 6" thick under the two post lift?

Also, I am planning to put a trench drain in the floor. I was going to put it closer to the front of the garage maybe 10' in and slope the floor from the back and front toward the drain. This way I can wash cars inside or let snow melt off them etc. With a 40' length do you think 10' is enough or should I move it closer to the center of the garage?

I think I am just going to use a good sealer on the floor and not go with the epoxy. Here is what I am looking at
https://ghostshield.com/product/siloxa-tek-8510/
I bought a 4 post lift so i don't have to bolt it to the floor and it works with my 9' ceiling, { 11-12' is perfect} plus it is easily moved, as far as the floor drain maybe in the middle? Code enforcement made me have a 1" drop back to front for every 10', so the front is 4" lower. the one thing i wish i had done was the heated slab as that will stay at ground temp without, makes it easy and cheaper to heat as the main source doesn't have to work as hard to maintain temps.

f46f813c45159e66aebeb4efe8e9c681.jpg

Started the first coat of macropoxy on the slab today. I’ll apply the second coat after the building is erected and lift is installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 9K Challenger lift in my 30'x40' with 12' ceiling. The 12' ceiling is fine for the Buick on the lift, but if you put a full size truck on the lift you'll wish you had 13'-14'.

newpics133Medium.jpg

Nice collection you have there. That's what I was thinking. It is rare I have to lift my truck or ever work on it really I lease a new one every three years through my company.

I am probably going with the Dannmar low profile D-9x I can get it from Home Depot lump it together with the lighting, wiring and drywall I need to finish it and get the interest free financing to spread out the expense of this project.

Anyone know anything about these cabinets?
http://www.sabercabinets.com/

Don't put sheetrock in the garage. Do panel liner (corrugated metal). The sheetrock needs maintenance. Bottom is 4' high 1/2" plywood. I studded the walls out and insulated the everything. When I bought my place, it was a disaster. The previous owner did nothing it, just rented it out. I gutted it and cleaned the place up. The neighbors came over to me and thanked me for cleaning up the neighborhood.

dIrivHg.jpg

O58OqTm.jpg

gCASOI8.jpg

xe2NzIx.jpg

iq4oG6w.jpg

HFUl98d.jpg

My ceiling is just shy of 12'. As you can see what I had to do with the lift. I wanted a clear floor. Although pricey, look at the Mohawk Lifts. They have short columns and clear floors and are rated for 10K and are certified. I'm not a fan of Mohawk Lifts as they use hydraulic pressure to equalize the two columns.

Here are a few pics of my shop when I first started setting it up. I'm always moving stuff around to maximize space. My shop is 35x60 (2100 sq ft) and I wanna go bigger.

8PVM6HZ

lxDMUe9.jpg

wnyaH7W.jpg

Whatever size you wanna build it.....double it as you WILL run out of room.

w5fNGF3.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Nice garage Billy, what height are the ceilings and what model Bendpak lift?

Panel liners look nice, maybe easier to install than drywall too.

I did my walls in 7/16" OSB which I prepainted before installing . The OSB allows you to mount things directly to the wall and not have to worry about finding a stud .

Nice garage Billy, what height are the ceilings and what model Bendpak lift?

Panel liners look nice, maybe easier to install than drywall too.

Thanks.

The panel liner takes out the maintenance end.

My ceiling is 12'. The lift is a BendPak XPR10 symmetrical in the wide configuration which is certified. I personally think the BendPak lift requires more than 145". My 12' A frame ladder fits not problem.

Ceiling height is fine for a pickup truck. The 10k lift could lift any pickup truck. If you planning on lifting any long wheelbase truck (crew cab, 8' bed) you need to spec out 3 stage arms back and front. I had my 2016 dually on the lift but didn't like the arm placement. The lift is fine for my '97 truck.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

For your floor, hire a concrete floor guy, not a mason. When he goes the pour, have him polish the floor as the concrete dries. Towards the end, he should be using the helicopter and it'll be shooting sparks. Once it cures, then you can seal it.

If you decide on epoxy, stay far away from the big box store crap. Have a Sherwin Williams rep come out to your place and tell him what you want done and he'll set you up.

Also, go on www.garagejournal.com for ideas and advice.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

kirban 2 cents worth

I got photos of my 50 by 30 pole building if someone emails me direct denniskirban@yahoo.com I can forward you the photos and copy to post here as I have zero ability andknowledge to post photos. my pole building has the 12 foot ceiling and one lift heater is mounted on the ceiling so no wasted space on the floor concrete floor gn emblem mounted in the floor gnx hand painted on the wall along with some very rare other piece of artwork etc...

two cats enjoy the warmth in the winter get free food and pull rodent duty. 50 by 30 with a lift you cna park 5/6 vehicles depending on size. No question that garage or pole building is haven for anyone that tinkers with cars I do mostly detailing for a local small car dealership that we buy cars with. Works out great days of buying turbo regals like I did in the 90s and early 2000s are now past....I buy very few now.

kirban 2 cents worth

I got photos of my 50 by 30 pole building if someone emails me direct denniskirban@yahoo.com I can forward you the photos and copy to post here as I have zero ability andknowledge to post photos. my pole building has the 12 foot ceiling and one lift heater is mounted on the ceiling so no wasted space on the floor concrete floor gn emblem mounted in the floor gnx hand painted on the wall along with some very rare other piece of artwork etc...

two cats enjoy the warmth in the winter get free food and pull rodent duty. 50 by 30 with a lift you cna park 5/6 vehicles depending on size. No question that garage or pole building is haven for anyone that tinkers with cars I do mostly detailing for a local small car dealership that we buy cars with. Works out great days of buying turbo regals like I did in the 90s and early 2000s are now past....I buy very few now.

mlyonsdc1@gmail.com I will get them posted, I would like to see the GNX mural!

We saw the sun yesterday and it was the first day in the last 10!!! My GC's crew showed up to do the block work and almost finished it, but now it's freakin raining again!! Seriously if we can get just a few decent days without rain and it being sub 20* in November!!

xm1NLWB.jpg

Here is pics of Kirban's garage, from Dennis:

kirban photos garage bldg

thanz for doing this for me here are the captions

the guy that did the painting on the gnx does cycle helmets never did one on a drywall before took him days to do it. at the time I had 2 real GNXs in the building artwork is dead on accurate even down to the barely readable alarm decals in the quarter windows....this picture does not do it justice. actual artwork is probably 35% of actual size of the car.

another photo shows GN emblem we placed int he floor when it was poured 13 plus years ago.

another photo shows a huge orignal Buick tri shield lite up dealer sign bought that years ago at GS Nationls.

the bronze hat is a gift my Dad di with my first black hat I wore many years ago...

the firebird poster the top right firebird was my personal 67 ram ai r400 firebird that is on that poster.

the hurst sign is hand done probably from the 1960s very rare. The GNX banner is from Carlisle years ago...extremely rare.

one photo may show part of the 87 gn that I just sold it is going to nebraska probably in a week.

I got a small work bench and a tool box as I don't do much besides detailing in the pole building....

23swDxV.jpg

jfSyb9x.jpg

VluFChO.jpg

6B3GjIN.jpg

yzSdvoz.jpg

LsKX4nl.jpg

MfFWw1l.jpg

Looks good! I started pulling out stuff to hang on the walls. Been collecting it for years and will now have a place to hang the stuff.!

I actually have several of the 1986 bad to the bone dealership posters if anyone is interested in one LMK. I am going to frame one for the garage and I think I have like 5 of them and I am going to sell of the extras. Not sure what they are worth?
cqMUjCd.jpg

I actually have several of the 1986 bad to the bone dealership posters if anyone is interested in one LMK. I am going to frame one for the garage and I think I have like 5 of them and I am going to sell of the extras. Not sure what they are worth?
cqMUjCd.jpg
Yes, I'd love to have one of those for my garage. Let me know how much you want? Ask Dennis what he thinks they are worth. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd love to have one of those for my garage. Let me know how much you want? Ask Dennis what he thinks they are worth. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I actually have 3 total so I will have 2 for sale or one after I put your name on one. Good question on price, I cant remember what I paid for them either and I can't find any for sale right now to compare.