Gapping spark plugs tighter an 0.035?

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
I was told that gapping the spark plug at 0.032 will make more power for forced induction vehicles.

Does anybody gap their spark plugs tighter than 0.035?

I was told that gapping the spark plug at 0.032 will make more power for forced induction vehicles.

Does anybody gap their spark plugs tighter than 0.035?

i always gap my plugs to .032. i run around 25-28psi.

.030 here. When you start getting at higher boost levels the spark can be blown out. So when you tighten the gap, its less likley to happen.

Not necessarily about making more power, but like boostingbuick said, it's about the spark being able to withstand the high cylinder pressure of a forced induction car. If it has to span a wider gap it's more likely to be snuffed out.

........mine pops at .032 and at .030.......no pop at .028......might try to go back to .030 since I've went to hotter coils.......

Autolite 23's @ .32

Of course I have gapped them at .28 when I was troubleshooting a high boost miss. I left them at .28 for a month or so with no ill effect.

Dusty Bradford picked up 40 horses on the dyno by gapping his plugs from .32 to .28 :eek: . Go figure....

Each car is different.:smile:

I had the porcelain separate from the metal threaded part of the plug. Left the spark plug wire just hanging. Threaded part was still in the head. Another plug had the porcelain spin freely. It was on a set of autolight 24's, gapped at .032. Has this happened to anybody else?

I had a autolite 23 porcelain crack on the inside and slide down and covered my spark from the tip at the track. Thought i blew something.

some time's you can crack them, buy putting them in too tight and don't drop them that will crack them for sure.