Gained 90+HP on the dyno today with Boostane additive.

toomanymodz

Finally made it to the dyno today. The goal was to test a new product on the market called Boostane. Add a bottle to 15 gallons, and it turns 93 octane pump gas into 103 octane. I never put much faith in advertisements... I like to test things for myself. Dynojet dyno was used for testing. Engine is a weber stroker, 109 block, std bore, GN1 heads, 218/212 roller, stock MAF sensor, factory ECM. A/F ratio was around 11.1 for all tests. 93 octane with one can of Boostane, no alky or race gas for these tests.

1st Pull:
Baseline. 20psi boost, 18 degrees timing.
Result: 455HP and 492 TQ with no knock.

2nd Pull:
Added boost. 22psi, 18 degrees timing.
Result: 488HP and 518 TQ with no knock.

3rd Pull:
Added boost. 22.5psi, 18 degrees timing.
Result: 500HP and 525 TQ with no knock.

4th Pull:
Added boost. 23.5psi, 18 degrees timing.
Result: 520HP and 544 TQ with no knock.

5th Pull:
Added timing. 23.5psi, 20 degress timing.
Result: 542HP and 566 TQ with no knock.

6th Pull:
Added boost and timing. 24psi, 21.2 degrees timing.
Result: 549HP and 570 TQ with no knock.

By this time the RJC boost controller was tightened all the way in, so to increase boost further I tried shortening the wastegate rod, which caused the boost to spike to about 27 psi. Started seeing knock so we decided to end the testing. And that last pull was a bit of diminishing returns anyways, so that also gave me the signal to stop the testing.

I'm quite happy with the results. 90+ HP gain and 78 lb/ft Torque increase! In third gear it's just ridiculous. 2nd gear is spin city.

Last edited:
What was the AFR on the pass with knock?? That 5th pull is interesting same boost and 2* timing yielded good HP....

Really thinkin I'm going to have to buy a can and try this stuff. Anybody know if this stuff will damage sensors and coat stuff like most the boosters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I might be missing it but at what point did you add the boostane?
Adding an octane booster by itself doesn't yield any improvements. The dyno results would pretty much be the same if nothing else was changed. But it does allow for more timing and boost, and that is where the power gains are. On straight pump gas, the most I can run is about 21 psi and 18 degrees of timing. If I try to bump it up to 22, I start seeing blips of knock. With this stuff I didn't see any knock, even at 24 psi and 21.2 degrees of timing. That would never be possible with straight 93 octane. The Boostane was used for all of the above pulls.

That's actually an oversimplistic statement. If the octane booster slowed the flame rate, it wouldn't be the same if nothing else was changed. Since it allows for more timing, I would think it slowed the burn rate since it required an advanced light time. The extra dyno numbers can't be disputed. Not sure it that translates into faster ET's though.

Any chance you could re-run the same test with a jug of paint thinner in the tank? I would be curious about the results.

True, a slower burn could actually lower the horsepower a small amount. I've heard of people putting higher octane gas in their cars and losing a small fraction in the 1/4 mile. The HP loss would be very small though.

If the HP loss was small, the MBT would be about the same. Octane and BTUs are not proportional.

the Boostane chart that I have seen says that to get 103 octane , you need to mix at 40:1 ratio. 15 gallons would take 1.5 bottles to get 103 octane. They show 1 bottle to 10 gallons of 93.

Bryan

In my little street test...I bought a case of 6qts for $137, what I saw was on just 93 at 19psi I was getting 1.6kr at wot, so I put 1qt of boostane to 9/gal and went for another blast and got 0-kr at 19, then I turned it up to 22psi and I still got 0 knock but I didn't wanna push it any farther then that on just pump gas..

Adding an octane booster by itself doesn't yield any improvements. The dyno results would pretty much be the same if nothing else was changed. But it does allow for more timing and boost, and that is where the power gains are. On straight pump gas, the most I can run is about 21 psi and 18 degrees of timing. If I try to bump it up to 22, I start seeing blips of knock. With this stuff I didn't see any knock, even at 24 psi and 21.2 degrees of timing. That would never be possible with straight 93 octane. The Boostane was used for all of the above pulls.

Right. I wasn't sure if you were comparing the increase to previous dyno numbers or whether you kept turning it up until you got knock, then added boostane and continued to be able to turn it up without knock.
Obviously a product like this is great if it works, best we have around here is 91 octane. I've never tried any of these boosters manly because I was afraid of hurting the motor. Nice to see some testing done, thanks!

Peter

What turbo and intercooler did you use? Nice data, btw.
The turbo is a Precision 6466CEA. The intercooler is a custom-made front-mount. I think it's from a bus actually. I've had this combo together for a few years now and the highest I could push it without knock was around 21 psi. Now I don't see knock until above 25 psi. I'll keep it set at 23 to be on the safe side.

Oh and about the mixture. I've tossed the empty bottle already, but it did have a chart on the side. I added one bottle to 15 gallons, so I'm not sure if that equates to 103 octane exactly... I was going by memory.

On a side note, I'm getting a taste of what it's like to have an alky system. This boost and timing is what I COULD BE running with an alky kit. All I got to say is Wow! The car is a different animal at 23-24psi and 20 degrees timing! Me thinks I like the idea of adding alky, rather than having to spend $25/can and look like Dr Jeckle/Mr Hyde mixing diabolical chemical formulas at the gas station. You shoulda seen the looks people were giving me. I had the medical inspection gloves on and everything. lol.