fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor

Yes that I know...I was just wondering if the tops of the lifter bores were machined flat where the dogbones will rest just like on a small block chevy with a factory roller cam. I assume the FWD 3.8 roller block is machined the same way on top of the lifter bores.

After searching and looking at pictures on a 109 block it appears they are not machined flat from the factory. My only concern is the dogbone will not sit perfectly flat on top of the lifter bores...you can imagine what might happen should a lifter "catch" on a dogbone as it travels up. But it appears it's a non issue right now so maybe I'm just being anal.:)

But great job, I think this is a neat alternative to the expensive roller cam kits out there.

There is no machine work that needs to be done on buick 3.8's.The dog bones sit flush on lifter bore and over and down on lifters,the 84/85 blocks lifter bore is not as tall as the 86/87 which gives the dog bones even more clearance for the dog bones to sit down on the lifters.The sbc motor guys are doing the same thing to cut the cost of the roller cam parts.check your local junk yards for low mileage fwd roller lifters.The chevy guys are getting them fast.

3.3 or 3.8 Vin 3 motors, I think they started the roller stuff in '85 and lasted till 1991 when the Series I 3800 took over. However this is all rough memory, what's the official word?

fwd cam parts

This is the thread I sent out.
here is the info i dunno why it's is a secret and can't be posted.

Originally Posted by 87buickracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87buickracer
1)use lifters from 3100 v6 fwd (1994-96)chevy lumina or van,also 1992 cavalier are the same lifters.you can purchase these from autozone or local salvage yard.

2)Use pushrods from 1986 buick lesabre or park ave non-roller motor 1st year design fwd 3800 v6 or you can use adj push rod checker to get correct length and lifter pre load.

3)nose gear-if running a billet roller cam you can get most of parts from buick 350 v8 or pre 1977 231 v6 odd fire engine.

4)you will need the dog bones and retainers from fwd roller motor.

5)you will need to drill and tap 1 hole on each side of lifter valley to hold retainers.

6)use a 17/64" drill bit and 5/16"x18" tap.also drill hole in retainer.

7)use two 5/16" studs 2" long with 1" spacer and nut to secure retainers over dog bones.

8)after tapping holes on each side of lifter valley,screw in 2" studs,place 1" spacer on stud and bolt on retainer.the 1" spacer will give retainer the proper clearance over lifters and dog bones.

9)these parts are ran by one of our club members and he also runs fwd roller cam that was modified for cam sensor.

10)I will be running these parts with my buick aftermarket roller cam.

9)these parts are ran by one of our club members and he also runs fwd roller cam that was modified for cam sensor.

What engine and year is the roller cam from? Any specs on this cam?

What engine and year is the roller cam from? Any specs on this cam?

I will ask him at the next club meeting.

Are you guys running beehive valve springs? Aren't they about $200 a set?

cams?

Think it would be interesting to see which cams would really upgrade the 109.
Any good lift/duration numbers available in the salvage yards?

All the info is in the thread,just read a few posts up.:biggrin:

please send me the info too

getting ready to put a roller in and would be interested in reading this thanks