fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor w/pictures

87buickracer

The picture shows fwd roller lifters with dog bones and retainer.The 1 inch spacer will go were the holes are in the retainer.picture is display-I haven't set it up yet.just to give you idea of what it looks like.I will probably use 3 spacers bolted with studs to make sure retainer is stable and strong.Once heads and pushrods are in,I will take another picture before bolting down intake.

Attachments

• my car 842.jpg
    my car 842.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 6,296
The picture shows fwd roller lifters with dog bones and retainer.The 1 inch spacer will go were the holes are in the retainer.picture is display-I haven't set it up yet.just to give you idea of what it looks like.I will probably use 3 spacers bolted with studs to make sure retainer is stable and strong.Once heads and pushrods are in,I will take another picture before bolting down intake.

Subscribed........! :)

Are you using Buick FWD stuff or 60 degree chevy V6 stuff? Or other FWD stuff?

buick fwd stuff.check my other thread on fwd roller parts and you can save all parts listed.These parts are already proven in one of our club members gn
with after market roller cam.when I spin cam by hand,lifters travel up and down smooth withh no problem.Once I bolt down retainer,the dog bones will be secure.Roller lifters are same diameter as gn lifters(.842) and fit perfect in lifter bore.(Lifters,dog bones and retainer can be purchased from salvage yard for under$100.00)or you can buy lifters new from autozone for under $200.00. my lifters were taken apart,inspected and cleaned.

I cant wait to see how this works. im still wondering how you bolt down the retainer to the block.

picture

The procedure is listed in old thread.This picture shows the location that holes will be drilled.using ink pens to show drill marks.If you look at first picture you will see the holes in the retainer.I will use a 1inch long galvanized
coupling 3/8" diameter for a spacer,while using 2-5/16" studs 2inches long to bolt retainer to block.you can get these parts from any hardware store.Remember this is how the fwd roller motors come from the factory(general motors).I'm not really doing that much different from their set up,except putting it in a gn motor that came from general motors with a flat tappet(lol).

I cant wait to see how this works. im still wondering how you bolt down the retainer to the block.

Attachments

• my car 843.jpg
    my car 843.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 5,893
buick fwd stuff.check my other thread on fwd roller parts and you can save all parts listed.These parts are already proven in one of our club members gn
with after market roller cam.when I spin cam by hand,lifters travel up and down smooth withh no problem.Once I bolt down retainer,the dog bones will be secure.Roller lifters are same diameter as gn lifters(.842) and fit perfect in lifter bore.(Lifters,dog bones and retainer can be purchased from salvage yard for under$100.00)or you can buy lifters new from autozone for under $200.00. my lifters were taken apart,inspected and cleaned.

I don't recall the application that the retainer is from.

I am starting my parts-collecting phase. That's the one I don't have.

Great work BTW!!! Thanks for blazing the trail.

Bob

Retainer

The retainer is from the 86-87 3.8 fwd engines.

I don't recall the application that the retainer is from.

I am starting my parts-collecting phase. That's the one I don't have.

Great work BTW!!! Thanks for blazing the trail.

Bob

Just FYI - I looked at this in 1999-2000 when I was piecing together my S2 On-center. I picked up the parts out of a junkyard for something like $20.

Two problems with a stage 2 on-center:
1. the dog-bones interfered with the block above the lifter bores. I think they could have been ground to clear.
2. The sheet-metal retainer didn't align with the lifter bores. Probably could have gotten a later model retainer (I think the FWD 3800's went to on-center after '88 or so.) I didn't pursue it, deciding to go with the Comp link-bar type lifters. Good chance it'd work on an off-center S2, though.

There's an article in this month's Hot Rod (or maybe Car Craft? I get them both) about just this kind of retrofit on SBC's and Fords. Looks like the way to go for a nice, quiet roller setup. Good luck!

How did Buick handle the end thrust on the cam on the fwd 3.8 rollers? Simple spring loaded cam button, or something else?

Could we have a complete parts list with what comes off what year/engine? I've been following this but the info seems a bit spread about 2 threads. It would really help.

The 86 to 88 FWD VIN B and 3 timing chain will work on this application.....right? What do you do for a cam sensor and oil pump drive?

Unless you are using the FWD front cover with gerotor oil pump??? I'd like to see pictures of that adaptation!!