funny lawnmower story anyone?

Eticket

I didn't have too many people to tell this story to, but thought that fellow car guys would probably appreciate this.

So..... trying to relive my youth mowing yards AND enjoy mowing our yard, I went and found a 10 year old Toro Commercial Mower with Suzuki 2-cycle engine. This may be arguably the best small lawnmower ever built (even youtube videos online of these mowers). If you'd ever used one, you know what I'm talking about. The engine just is a quiet sewing machine hum with effortless power. They are still very desirable and often go for big $$ on craigslist and ebay when found.

Word is they stopped making them 7-8 years ago with this engine due to EPA compliance, but the truth is that the engines are just too damn durable and aren't prone to the maintenance issues of new engines (even hondas).

On with the story.... I bought this mower used from a mower fix-it guy out of town. It started right up on the first pull and looked to be in good shape - i was sold. I used it for about a month and then it started having problems (not starting when hot). I went ahead and ordered a carb kit I found online as it's a common problem with the mower.

I decided to go ahead and actually take it to the local toro dealer so they could determine if the engine was in good shape and salvageable before i spent more $$. When i get to the shop, i wheel the mower into their showroom and park it.. walked up the counter to check it in.

Gave the woman Norma (husband/wife shop owner for 25 years) my info and when i was done, i handed the woman the carb kit - literally a really small package with gaskets and a needle. She looked at me and said.. "that's not a carb kit for your mower, it's for a weed wacker." I told her that i bought it online and was assured it was the correct one. She handed the carb kit to her husband. He looked up, took the kit, looked at it, squinted, and said in a slow dramatic tone,"hmmm.. this is a carb kit for aaaaaaa toro suzuki commercial 2-cycle.". His wife looked at me and said, "see? it's not for your mower." I said, " that's what I have, a toro commercial suzuki 2-cycle!"

They both looked at each other and looked at me and said with amazement,"Yoooou? have a toro commercial suzuki 2-cycle?". I said, "yep!". We all smile.

The lady followed me to the front door to take a look. She stopped by my mower, smiled, and said, "wow, this thing is cherry."

- Definitely confirmed for me my efforts to find the mower I wanted.....cheers.

Funny how people jump to conclusions. I bet you had their respect when you left.

That's great. My dad had one when I was younger. That thing would not bog down ever!! I've been looking for a 2 cycle lawn boy as they are a little cheaper.

My father had a lawnmower shop for over 35 years in Hammonton NJ. 2 cycle lawnboys or any older 2 cycle lawnmower for that matter were very hard to kill. We took one with us when we sold the shop, cant kill em. My dad always suggested people put a little more oil than recommended on the bottle in the 2 cycle mix. Worst case scenario you would smoke a little and kill the nats, but your mower would last alot longer.

Back when I was a kid mowing lawns for extra money, I was just finishing up the front yard of a house at the end of my block. Well a group of kids that I did not get along with at all went riding by on their bikes. Crap, I was way outnumbered and they were all mad dogging me while going by. I didn't know what to do so I stopped mowing and stared back at them as they were going by. I was beginning to regret this decision as I began to think about how I was clearly outnumbered. I was really hoping they would keep going when suddenly the guy on the outside of the group ran straight into the back of a parked car. He went flying off and jacked himself up real bad. Still to this day one of the funniest things I have ever seen. They took off all embarrassed it was awesome. Lawn mowers are good times cool that you have a good one.

I bought a Black sears craftsmen 25hp 48" cut mower to match my Black GN. I pulled all the stickers off it ,All need now is honeycomb yardtractor wheels..8^)