Fuel system for 800hp

turboclam

Going to start collecting parts for fuel system. Want to keep the stock location fuel tank. Should I go with a double pumper with -8 lines? My combo is in my sig and plan on using my Razor Alky kit and 93 octane. I would entertain an external but which one and what lines and AFPR? Advice? Thanks

If you want to spend over a grand, Weldon 1100, pre and post Weldon filters, -8/-6 Aeroquip TFE lines (no pump gas fuel smell), RobbsMc billet anodized stock tank pickup, bunch of fittings, custom stock fuel rail adapter to -6 at the regulator from turbofabricator, Aeromotive -6 regulator, I have a parts list somewhere around here...

http://tinyurl.com/9o9slrv

So a -6 regulator would work for me? Appreciate the input. A list would be really helpful.

The stock fuel lines,fuel rail,and regulator are good to 1,000 plus hp on gasoline.
You can buy a double pumper and volt booster from Red Armstrong and drill the four Saginaw fittings in the supply line to .299" or you can spend $1,000.00. Either system will supply your motor the fuel it needs.

Thanks for the list, pretty cool set-up. Is it loud?

It's louder than a walbro 340, but quieter than a full race Weldon 2015. I can hear it at a light over my idling dual ATR 3 inch exhaust. But I haven't had any fuel issues. You can run it down to about 3 gallons of fuel left before it starts sucking air.

Red's double pumper with stock lines and stock type adjustable regulater seems to work fine in my car.

Mike, you spent a ton of $$$$ on your engine, and you are going to trust any in-tank stock fuel pump, or even 2 of them to perform and be reliable at 800 HP? :confused:

Do it right the first time, and install a 1000 HP system and never look back as you will have a good safety margin, and it will be very reliable.

How many times have you seen one of the double pumps fail at the wrong time with disastrous results? Not many, because people do not post their mistakes, but I have seen it happen many times. :eek:

Make sure it is done RIGHT the first time, which will cost very little more, and even less, if the first system does not perform to your expectations. :)

I'm using one of the Weldon 1100A pumps on my build and looking for close to 1000hp. I also have the weldon in and out filters and their regulator with some 160 injectors. Fuel system is not the area to save money.

I agree with Nick, don't do a double fuel pump setup for big power. What happens when you lose one pump in a double pump setup? You cut your fuel supply in half, but the worst part is that there is still half the fuel there to burn it up. If you loose the only pump in a single pump setup, you loose all your fuel and the motor quits running.

Mike E said:
I'm using one of the Weldon 1100A pumps on my build and looking for close to 1000hp. I also have the weldon in and out filters and their regulator with some 160 injectors. Fuel system is not the area to save money.

I agree with Nick, don't do a double fuel pump setup for big power. What happens when you lose one pump in a double pump setup? You cut your fuel supply in half, but the worst part is that there is still half the fuel there to burn it up. If you loose the only pump in a single pump setup, you loose all your fuel and the motor quits running.

They say a -8 return is recommended, can it be run with a -6 return and -8 supply?

If your running new lines, you might as well run a -8 return. A -6 might be ok if there aren't too many 90 degree fittings or tight turns in the line.

I'm going to run mine like this:

-12 from the fuel cell to a 100 micron filter, pump, 10 micron filter, -10 to a Y-block split to -8 to each rail, -8 from rails to regulator and -8 return to the fuel cell. The filters are mounted directly to the pump with radiused fittings, There will be no bulkhead fittings and I want to minimize the number of 90 degree hose ends.

Red's double pumper with stock lines and stock type adjustable regulater seems to work fine in my car.
I suppose there is the possibility that it works on your car,my car,Red's car,and many other cars and that the laws of physics are different with some other cars and they need -8 to -10 lines and dual fed rails and remote regulators on their 400 to 800 hp motors.

I'm returning a Weldon 2035 with a -6 regulator jumping right to -8 line and can regulate pressure down no problem. I agree with nick, get a great pump and forget about any worries

Yeah, big single pumps never have issues...give me a break! More components, higher chance of failure. Any components...chance of failure!

No difference between one of the doubles failing. The Weldon's just have a killer track record.

They say a -8 return is recommended, can it be run with a -6 return and -8 supply?
thats to cover those with NA (carb) that need to operate at around 7psi , with fuel injected and a minimum fuel pressure of around 37 the -8 isnt needed as the regulator is already reducing the flow to the return line to maintain the base fuel pressure

just did an areomotive eliminator/cell to upgrade an old double pumper 8an dual fed champion rails
fed two 8 AN lines from cell to a y -to a 12an 100 filter- to the pump out to a 10an inline 10mic filter, -10an line to the back of motor to a Y split to two 6an lines (existing) to dual feed the rails (could have done dual 8an but the 6an is already overkill), dual 6an out of rails to aeromotive bypass regulator to -6an return using the stock 3/8 feed (with stock fuel filter reversed) to get it back to the cell connected the stock line to an 8an line above axle run to cell 8an return port
i adjusted regulator and could get fuel pressure to below 35psi so the return is fine even with that pump that claims to be able to supply 1200hp turbo (600lb hr at 70psi at 13.5volts)

Yeah, big single pumps never have issues...give me a break! More components, higher chance of failure. Any components...chance of failure!
The items that some are afraid will fail are electronic items. If we get rid of all electronics,maybe,we could be more at ease.

The only issue I have with the bigger pumps is the idle pressure problem it creates. The only concern I have is for the unsuspecting person who buys one and wants to avoid modifications to his car. Now he's forced to fix a problem that the pump created. These pumps are being installed on cars that will never use them to their potential. Why? Because if you buy a Walbro it will fail. Every last one of them. If you buy into that,produce another type of pump that is more reliable. That's not what has been done. Another type of pump has been produced that they've claimed to be more reliable. The problem is that only time can prove this to be true. The only problem I have with these pumps is that they aren't simply a pump that is claimed to be more reliable. They are pumps that cause a problem that many are fixing with a $500.00 dollar bill. I could purchase 5 Walbros with this money. Of course they would all fail.

I'll never buy one of these 300 lph pumps as my primary pump because they flow too much.
If reliability is the issue,produce a more reliable pump that flows 255lph.
And since there is no chance of one of these failing,you won't object to me using it in a double pump set-up.
Oh CRAP! I forgot that the Hobbs switch that would activate the second pump is an electronic part that will surely fail.

Please disregard everything I've written. I was just pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Mike, you spent a ton of $$$$ on your engine, and you are going to trust any in-tank stock fuel pump, or even 2 of them to perform and be reliable at 800 HP? :confused:

Do it right the first time, and install a 1000 HP system and never look back as you will have a good safety margin, and it will be very reliable.

How many times have you seen one of the double pumps fail at the wrong time with disastrous results? Not many, because people do not post their mistakes, but I have seen it happen many times. :eek:

Make sure it is done RIGHT the first time, which will cost very little more, and even less, if the first system does not perform to your expectations. :)

Well spoken.