Fuel Sensor for XFI

bypass regulator

A bypass fuel regulator bleeds off excess fuel pressure and returns excess fuel to the tank. When some of the fuel is bled off, the pressure is reduced. There is a return line to the tank, usually coming from the pressure regulator. This is the scheme that most OEM fuel injected cars use.

These bypass fuel pressure regulators may be vacuum and/or boost referenced. The pressure reference increases or decreases the fuel pressure based on engine demand. i.e. high engine intake vacuum ( low throttle opening) = lower fuel pressure, low engine intake engine vacuum (WOT, NA) = higher fuel pressure, and engine intake pressure (turbo boost) = even more fuel pressure.

Most new cars use a returnless system. The fuel pressure is computer controlled by varying the voltage to the fuel pump.

Other fuel reguation systems simply limit the fuel pressure. Think Holley blue inline pressure regulator. The downside is they somewhat restrict fuel flow. (Definitely did on my Mopar 440).

If you need to use a -8 line as the return line, you probably have way too much fuel pressure and flow.

I might be wrong, since you may be supporting upwards of 1000 horsepower. In that case, at idle and very boost, you may need to bypass a lot of fuel. That may be especially true with an alcohol system where more fuel is required for a given power level.

At 600 horsepower or less a -6 return line should be adequate.

However, as the learned gentleman (V6UnderPressure) said, you can always split the return line flow with a Y-block. A portion will go through the fuel sensor and the rest will go around it. Both flows will return to the tank. Since the fuel is relatively homogeneous at this point, it isn't necessary to read every bit of fuel, only a representative sample.

HTH

Rangelov,
Long time! I ran -10 supply and -8 return be cause I wanted to do it 1 time and only 1 time. Bigger is better than smaller with EFI and a turbo. The SS braided hose and fittings are EXPENSIVE so once is definitely enough.
Conrad...yes Rangelov, THAT Conrad...96 Impala SS!

Wanted to check and see how everyone was doing with these. I'm considering adding one to my Syclone, so I was curious if anyone had any issues or failures with the sensor. How do you do your tuning? What about spark plugs?

Thanks!

- Matt

I cannot believe that no one on Turbobuick has installed the flex fuel sensor on a FAST motor.
Conrad

novi2000,
Great photo. What fittings did you use to plumb the fuel sensor? How is the fuel sensor working with FAST?
Conrad

i think i found the correct way to wire but wanted to verify my info

Just found this thread. Wire the signal into XFI pin A6 and supply power and ground to the other two wires of the sensor

Anyone know where I can get a pigtail for the sensor?
Conrad

i have a short pigtail you can have. just add some extra wire to it for the correct length. or you can order them online

Boost231,
Great! Thank you very much!!
Could you mail to me at:
Conrad Carter
PO Box 1760
Albemarle, NC 28002-1760.
Conrad

ps...don't send to this address if using FedEx
pss...where can someone find a pigtail online?

Without Cal i would be lost. Pin A6 =

A6 Discrete Auxiliary Speed Sensor Input Signal Orange (B)

FWIW, my former contact at FAST, David Page, is no longer there. New contact is Jay Adams (jadams@fuelairspark.com). I have sent him an e-mail inquiring about problems FAST was having with the GM Fuel Sensor not being stable or something like that (see Page 1 of this Forum).
Conrad

I have no idea but will check with the new FAST tech when (if) I hear from him. Has anyone used a Ford sensor on this board?
Conrad

I just got a reply from Kevin Winstead, CompCams ((901) 375-3461 or kwinstead@compcams.com).

His comments are:
GM Flex Fuel Sensor P/N 12570260 (late version) is fine.
Could even use P/N 12568450 (earlier version) also.
Wiring plug for sensor is P/N 88987992.

Flex Fuel Sensor wiring to XFI is as follows:
Flex Fuel sensor Pin A signal goes to Pin B of XFI shaft connector
Flex Fuel sensor Pin B signal foes to 12v switched power supply
Flex Fuel sonsor Pin C sensor ground goes to Pin C of the XFI shaft connector

Be sure to check the Flex Fuel mode found in the Fuel Calc Parameters Menu.

Conrad