fuel pump not getting power

garrett

I went to the garage to start my TR , after not starting it for a few months. It wouldn't start because it's not getting any power to the fuel pump. It cranks over fine, but I can see by the fuel pressure gauge that the pump is not working. I can usually hear it buzz for two seconds before I start cranking. I tested the plug back by the tank and it's not getting any power. The fuses under the dash are good. It does have a hotwire kit and the fuse with the kit is good as well. A friend said that it should get power from the ECM for a few seconds until the oil pressure switch takes over. It's not getting that. It's almost like the orange wire from the battery to the ECM is disconnected, but it's not. I forgot which relay is the fuel pump relay. Also, the green bypass plug which is located in the rear of the alternator doesn't turn the pump on either. Any thoughts?

Could you tell me which one of the relays on the passenger side inner fender?
I changed out the fuel pump relay with a new AC Delco relay and still nothing. Could it be the ECM? I'm not getting the 2-3 second initial power to pump.

Sounds like you going have to drop tank and pull pump and check wiring connections on holder or pump bad
No, i'm not getting power to anywhere near the tank. If I was getting power back there, then I would think it's the pump. I'm not even getting power to the electrical by- pass jumper connection.

I'm not even getting power to the electrical by- pass jumper connection.

You do know that you put 12v to that connector to power the pump , correct ?? Not check for it there .

I have no 12V power to the green jumper plug at the back of the alternator. I checked and replaced the fuel pump and ECM fuses under the dash. both were good, but I swaped them out anyways. I am getting power to the fuel pump relay on the far right pin. I have not probed or mess with the ECM yet. Are there any other simple things to check before I mess with the ECM?

You need to put 12v from battery to that connector . That will put 12v to the pump through the factory harness bypassing the underhood relay . Thats how I emptied my tank with the motor out of the car .

That may turn on the pump, but the point is that I want to start the car and drive the car, so I have to actually fix it correctly.

That would tell you if all the wiring is OK from motor compartment back . As in no bad grounds & poor connections or open connections . You got to start somewhere and eliminate things before changing out parts . I do this everyday at work . :D

That would tell you if all the wiring is OK from motor compartment back . As in no bad grounds & poor connections or open connections . You got to start somewhere and eliminate things before changing out parts . I do this everyday at work . :D
Ok, I'll make a jumper wire tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for the idea.

Sounds like you possibly lost the fuel pump signal from the ecm. Thats not uncommon.

Unplug the fuel pump relay on passenger fender. Use a small jumper to jump pin B and C. Thats the center pin on the 3 pin side with the single pin on opposite side. See if it starts.