Fuel Pump - I think I need a different sock?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I've been having a fuel delivery problem lately. When I nail the throttle, the pressure spikes up to 50 PSI (should go to at least 60 PSI) and then quickly drops if I stay in the throttle. Car falls on its face and knocking ensues.

I ordered a new GSS340 pump and did not request an installation kit because I already have a Walbro "340" installed. When I took the old pump out and tried to put the new one in things got interesting.

First I noticed that my old pump said FS20000169 on it while the new one said GSS340 on it. I thought maybe I got ripped off when I bought the old one but it turns out that the FS2000169 is a "340" pump with a different inlet. I remember when I installed this pump that the inlet stretched the rubber mount in a strange way but I put it together anyway. It's because the FS20000169 has an offset inlet:

pumps.jpg

Now this new GSS340 pump fits the rubber mount perfectly and has a bigger sock and bigger inlet which both seem to be good things. Here is old sock vs. new sock (perhaps my old sock was clogged?):

socks.jpg

Now the problem. There's no way the sock provided is going to go onto the end of the pump with that rubber mount in the way:

sock_pump.jpg

The old sock had a collar on it that sat inside the rubber mount. The sock I have now appears to be designed to go flush against the bracket which is not possible. The P/N on the bag that the sock came in is 125-157. Does anyone know the P/N for the correct sock for the TRs? Anyone know where I can get one? I just need a sock, not an installation kit.

Thanks,
Jim

Do we really need a fuel sock? I've never seen anything in my tank large enough to do any damage. Actually never seen anything in my tank but gas. I've had it out eight times in the past year dorking around with a sending unit on a double pumper. I see no need for a fuel sock. What am I missing here? There is already a screen on the bottom of the pump, then a fuel filter, then more filters in the injectors.

I guess if you really didn't need a sock/strainer then GM would have saved $1 per vehicle. And I'm positive every fuel pump I ever took out had a sock/strainer on it. :) They are always looking for ways to save $$, if it didn't need it then it wouldn't be on there.

turbojimmy said:
I ordered a new GSS340 pump and did not request an installation kit because I already have a Walbro "340" installed. When I took the old pump out and tried to put the new one in things got interesting.

Note to self.. next time order install kit along with fuel pump to eliminate streeful issues that "MAY" pop up :)

Thinking out loud.. I believe the sock is in there to help with aeration issues as the gasoline sloshes back and forth keeping the sock wet assures delivery.

By the looks of the old sock in the picture.. I would not re-invent the wheel that is round.

By the looks of the old sock in the picture.. I would not re-invent the wheel that is round.[/QUOTE]

Good point

Razor said:
Note to self.. next time order install kit along with fuel pump to eliminate streeful issues that "MAY" pop up :)

Yes - do that.

The guy was like "you can save like $6 if you eliminate the kit?". Hmmm - free lunch. Okay - I already have a 340, what could go wrong? Hah!

I'm going to have to call and see if he has a TR kit. I think this guy does mostly LS1s and Mustangs. Another note to self: do business with TR vendors.

Jim

I take it no one has looked at the bottom of the tank when replacing pumps? If you had , then you would understand why there is a sock there. :wink: Every single car ive done has had crap in the tank. :eek:

Here's another pic of the 'problem':

socks2.jpg

I can't believe it's so hard to find just the sock. I called the local speed shops and they told me they only come in the kits. I'm pretty sure that's all that's wrong with my car (that sock looks clogged up) so I probably didn't need the new pump.

Jim

So I e-mailed the guy and he says to toss the rubber thing and bend the bracket. Then the sock will fit. He says that's what they do in his shop. I figure best case is that will make the pump a lot louder. That rubber thing seems important. Doesn't sound like he has the right sock.

I'll have to either buy another pump just to get the f'ing kit or call around some more.

Jim

oddfire6 said:
www.autoperformanceengineering.com dont know if they will just sell the sock. maby we can go in "halves" cuz im looking for the hose thats rated for "in tank use" (SAE J30R10) local parts store wants $19.95 for 12 inch piece and needs to be ordered.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Kit number 27 on the "Installation Parts" page looks like what I need. He says he won't sell the kits unless you bought a pump because he's selling the kits at cost. I'll see if he's willing to accept a little margin from me. You can have the hose - I just need the sock and the rubber mount (I unsuccessfully tried to tweak mine - digging a deeper hole for myself).

Jim

oddfire6 said:
ok, i think he is a vendor for the TR sites anyway.

I've been exchanging e-mail with the guy that sold me the pump. It looks like I can get a kit from him. If so you can have the rubber hose. I'll post back here when I know for sure.

Jim

There were two socks. And there were two pumps. There was a "340", and a "340m", the 340m I thought had been machined to match the newer sock. The "old" sock is a GM sock, and the newer sock comes from Walbro. The Walbro has a bigger opening than the GM, so the 340m was a Walbro with the neck machined down to fit the GM sock. And to confuse the issue, some vendors hava a pump with right sized neck to fit the GM sock, with a new part number, which is neither a 340, or a 340m.
Some vendors sell the sock for about $10.

Ormand said:
There were two socks. And there were two pumps. There was a "340", and a "340m", the 340m I thought had been machined to match the newer sock. The "old" sock is a GM sock, and the newer sock comes from Walbro. The Walbro has a bigger opening than the GM, so the 340m was a Walbro with the neck machined down to fit the GM sock. And to confuse the issue, some vendors hava a pump with right sized neck to fit the GM sock, with a new part number, which is neither a 340, or a 340m.
Some vendors sell the sock for about $10.

The guy I got it from is telling me the correct filter is not available for the GSS340, only the FS20000169. Do you know if this is fact? If it's true, I'll need to return the GSS340 and get another FS20000169. I'm definitely getting an installation kit this time.

By the looks of my old sock I'm pretty sure that was my problem but I haven't found anyone who sells just socks. If you know of any can you PM me please? This is getting crazy.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just cut the piece of rubber down so that the GSS340 pump is sitting on a thin piece of rubber. The 'wrong' sock fits fine. No bracket bending required and it's gotta be better than metal-on-metal (pump-on-bracket). I'm anal about most things and would prefer the correct, unmolested rubber mount and the correct sock but Ernesto is finally leaving us and we're gonna get some sun today. Can't have the ass end of the car up in the air until I sort this out.

NEXT TIME I'll get an installation kit with the pump and get it from a TR vendor.

Thanks,
Jim

get the correct fuel sock

Call Precision Turbo, and talk to Patrick Rubio, he will know exactly what sock it is you need.

Phone Number 219 996 7834