Fuel needed for 2 liter turbo

Poppypaul

I have a new 2019 Regal with a 2 liter turbo. The owners manual say 93 octane fuel is recommended but 87 is OK. Should the high octane be used and why?

I have a new 2019 Regal with a 2 liter turbo. The owners manual say 93 octane fuel is recommended but 87 is OK. Should the high octane be used and why?
Higher octane gas has compounds which reduce knock. Knock is when gas ecplodes rather than burn. When gas ecplodes head gaskets fail or engine blows up. The reason for knock is the air to fuel ratio is too high. This happens when there is either to much air or too little fuel. Turbo chargers add air. Run 93 octane unless you drive like grandma or Grandpa.

Thanks for the info. I'll stick with 93 octane. Does a 50/50 mix of 87 and 93 octane make any sense?

Unlike our old GN's the computer in your car will adjust fuel and spark to keep the engine from knocking with 87 or the owners manual wouldn't have stated it. Your ECM is 32 years newer than ours. Just think what computers were like 32 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about using 87 if the Owners manual say's it's OK. GM isn't about to OK anything that would cause engine damage to a car under warranty. That being said because of the adjustments the computer makes you will make more power with 93.

If the manual states 87 is acceptable (not preferred), and the car is under warranty, fill it up with 87, and beat the snot out of it while under warranty. If it holds up, you are good. If not, you will know for sure and it will be fixed under warranty. Lol

send it poppypaul... you can save 10 dollars :ROFLMAO: ... make you holla ...Gimme dolla

here we're averaging 60 cents a gallon difference. My wife's been using 87 in her VW GTI for 11 years and beating the snot out of it. 93 recomended. I wouldn't go near it in my GN.