Fuel mileage and overall cost of burning E85

As I consider the switch to e-85 I wonder if mixing w/ gas for mileage when planning to just cruise on a longer trip. Obviously discipline on the pedal would be crucial (maybe turn boost down for the calm driving) but safer while possibly better mpg? Seems like extra work but worth it to prevent damage or........?
Any thoughts..................
When you switch to E85 you can run straight gasoline when ever you want to get mileage.

Thanks, wouldn't it be wise to turn down the boost just in case your foot gets heavy? How about timing etc., could you put street chip in for such use on gas as another safeguard?? o_O

Thanks, wouldn't it be wise to turn down the boost just in case your foot gets heavy? How about timing etc., could you put street chip in for such use on gas as another safeguard?? o_O
Of course. Timing also if you have the capability. These cars can still be fun at 17 lbs of boost and 18 degrees of timing on 93 octane. I don't think anyone who rode in your car for the first time would call it a turd at 17 lbs of boost.

I just got done burning another 1/4 tank today and it goes fast. Switching to E85 adds to the ''pain in the rear'' list for getting fuel all the time for me. I was always a pump gas alky guy and never worried about something so insignificant as getting fuel.
When your pumping 2.80 race gas in the car, it does make you giggle a little tho. I like the smell of E85 vs gasoline too. MPG has been the biggest drawback for me... I guess its just annoying.
You could always put a 55 gallon drum in your trailer, and fill that each time?

I have two 5.5 gal. fuel jugs that I fill up and keep in the garage. Seems to work well, but I dont drive my car very often or for many miles.

To and from a car show twice, I got 8 mpg this summer. That was cruising the backroads @ 40mph with a few WOT punches.

I'm basing that on the gallons I filled up with after my initial fillup at the same station divided by the miles on the trip meter. Needless to say, the wideband I bought is going to come in pretty handy to find a leaner cruise setting. No wonder I smell the fuel so strongly when I come to a stop.

I get about 7 MPG around town running a mixture of 75% E-85 & 25 % 91 oct. in my '09 CTS-V.
However, on the bright side, I get about 675 RWHP which makes up for the loss in mileage.

Garry,

Very impressive, love those cars just hate the interior. The new CTS-V is going to be impressive, just think what kind of power that one is going to be capable of.

Fun, Fun, Fun till the Gubment and weak fuel suppliers take our E-85 away.................... if there is no demand, especially since gas has gotten so cheap, the weak markets will lose E-85 !!!

Since this is supposed to be an EPA mandate and the GREAT ALTERNATIVE new fuel: WRITE YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS AND REQUEST / DEMAND A SUPPLY IN YOUR AREA...............

WE WILL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE .............................................

Fun, Fun, Fun till the Gubment and weak fuel suppliers take our E-85 away.................... if there is no demand, especially since gas has gotten so cheap, the weak markets will lose E-85 !!!

Since this is supposed to be an EPA mandate and the GREAT ALTERNATIVE new fuel: WRITE YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS AND REQUEST / DEMAND A SUPPLY IN YOUR AREA...............

WE WILL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE .............................................
E 85 is not available to us because we demand it. It is available because the government is trying to get us to use it. Why would they have to convince us to use it? Because it is very inefficient and costs a lot. But wait,it's cheaper than gasoline. No it's not,it's very expensive. The cost at the pump is what it is because they take money away from every tax paying citizen to help pay the cost. Again,your fuel mileage will suffer dramatically. This is done under the guise of saving the planet.

In order to increase availability,they will have to take more money away from every tax paying citizen to subsidize this expensive and inefficient fuel. This must and will happen if you get what you are asking for.

Just installed my 80lbs injectors and Tt chip. Car is not tuned or running correctly yet. Still has vacuum leak I have to get to but it’s running ok enough where I had to try this E85 thing. So I went to fill my 5 gallon so I can put it in my car. Geeeezus Christ! 1.99 a gallon can’t go wrong there. Finally I put it in And Took it for a little cruisE. I had to stop a few times to check under the hood cause It smelled like my car was about to blow up but I guess that’s how corn suppose to smell. After a nice cruise I was going to go get me a dog or two at Gene and Judes and of course my car threw a 51 code and I had to turn around and drive it home. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon.

Just installed my 80lbs injectors and Tt chip. Car is not tuned or running correctly yet. Still has vacuum leak I have to get to but it’s running ok enough where I had to try this E85 thing. So I went to fill my 5 gallon so I can put it in my car. Geeeezus Christ! 1.99 a gallon can’t go wrong there. Finally I put it in And Took it for a little cruisE. I had to stop a few times to check under the hood cause It smelled like my car was about to blow up but I guess that’s how corn suppose to smell. After a nice cruise I was going to go get me a dog or two at Gene and Judes and of course my car threw a 51 code and I had to turn around and drive it home. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon.

Correct the flaws and enjoy the E-85........it does take a little more tuning trials but if all is well you should feel comfortable with the octane confidence. Make sure your knock sensor is working before getting too aggressive so as to prevent damage. More and more performance gurus are using it.

Still 93 and alky on the GN but have changed my GS over to E85. In this area right now 93 is around $2.15-$2.30 a gallon and E85 is $1.47 a gallon. I'm getting 16mpg around town and 30mpg highway.
Not much different than before 18mpg-30mpg. I'm very happy. Upgrades to the car are 3.5 pulley 65lb injectors and Walbro pump.

Still 93 and alky on the GN but have changed my GS over to E85. In this area right now 93 is around $2.15-$2.30 a gallon and E85 is $1.47 a gallon. I'm getting 16mpg around town and 30mpg highway.
Not much different than before 18mpg-30mpg. I'm very happy. Upgrades to the car are 3.5 pulley 65lb injectors and Walbro pump.
I get about the same if I keep my foot out of it lol. A friend of mine has a similar setup but with a natural aspirated block and gets about 2mpg more than me on average. Almost makes me want to change my block lol

I get about the same if I keep my foot out of it lol. A friend of mine has a similar setup but with a natural aspirated block and gets about 2mpg more than me on average. Almost makes me want to change my block lol

Yep those numbers are driving normal. But we know we are not normal :)

I love running E85 on my 87 column shift white T-type! 62/62, 80# injectors, HR drag bar, 275/60 drag radials, and Husek built tranny with his 3021 lu. Motor has over 100,000 miles. Up to 28# of boost and using an AEM failsafe wideband to let me know my tune or if it goes lean. Love kicking ass with it! I run E85 for performance not mpg.

Last edited:
I love running E85 on my 87 column shift white T-type! 62/62, 80# injectors, HR drag bar, 275/60 drag radials, and Husek built tranny with his 3021 lu. Motor has over 100,000 miles. Up to 28# of boost and using an AEM failsafe wideband to let me know my tune or if it goes lean. Love kicking ass with it! I run E85 for performance not mpg.
I also enjoy the confidence of E-85 along with the careful allowance for all the fears that accompany it............... for the money & results I am open to any real in car discussion as to "Why Not" Please tell me why we all shouldn't consider!!!!