Front upper control arm Passanger side , Bolt question

fc227

1986 Grand National
Greetings all,

Anyone here replace the passenger side Front upper control arm? My Question is that the Bolts that hold the arm to the Frame. Are the splined? There is a bolt head on the inside (facing the wheel) but it will not budge. Before I start putting some real pressure on them , just want to know if they are splined and not meant to move.

If they are it presents a challenge to get the back nut off the arm. Without removing the Down pipe.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

Darn , They are splined :( anyone done this with out removing/moving the down pipe

Gee , what a PIT backside. Got all the bolts loose and the control arm is rusted / Welded to the bolt nears the down pipe. Soaking with PB blaster right now.

Darn, Darn, Darn

Will not budge, To bad they could not make a "loctite" out of this . Who ever shimmed the arm put the shims in upside down , so all the "crap" was sitting in them.. I hope I do not have to try and drill out that bolt.

I have removed many upper control arms on cars I have parted. If your situation is similar to others that were seized up...I used a huge prybar or cut the bolts off to get to the upper control arms. The issue is the bolts fit extremely tight in the upper control arm cross bar (which is good), but the down side is the bolts can become extremely difficult to get removed. And Yes the bolts are splined, and yes they can come out of the frame pads, and yes I have welded them back in.

Thank you for the reply.
Right now the one that is stuck is soaked with PB blaster. Going to work on it again over the long weekend . Good Lord Willing

Still stuck, going to try some heat and if that doesn't work. I am cutting them out.

Well , I got it replaced. I ended up with my dermal cutting the pivot bar above the stuck bolt, down to just above the bolt, stuck a pry-bar into that cut to spread it open . freed the bolt and the old one slid off. That stuck bolt was loose in the frame , slid that out . and slid in the new control arm. The oil cooler line had to be bent a little but it installed and works.

Now I am working on the Power Master :(

The splines on mine stripped out when I hit them with my impact.