Front suspension/steering gear question

PaulieB

So, being a resident of Massachusetts, I have to submit to yearly safety inspections. I took the GN in yesterday and much to my chagrin, I received a failing grade due to what the inspector perceives as "too much play" in the front end when he performs the 3 o'clock 9 o'clock tire shake. When you move the tire back and forth, you can see the entire center link and tie rods move as one. The idler arm does appear to deflect up and down a tiny bit, so maybe that's my issue. I have a brand new idler arm and center link on the way, as they weren't a lot of coin and are easy to swap out. He also complained that I had a tiny, and I mean tiny amount of movement when rocking the tire at 12 and 6. I explained that the wheel bearings in these cars arent the type that are cranked down tight like in modern FWD cars.I have them adjusted the way Ive always done it on old school roller bearings. My question is, how much play is considerd "abnormal"? It has had the exact same amount of "play" (side to side) since Ive owned it and it never was an issue until this year. The car is bone stock with 38k on her.