Front springs

vorsberg

I`m rebuilding the front suspension on my -86 GN , just to be sure ...
Square end down , tangential end up ?

I’m drawing a blank as far as the terms go, but the open coil goes on the bottom and the flatter end goes on top as in the photo.

DFDDFE66-E382-46BF-9B61-D3B1D49168C0.jpeg

I’m drawing a blank as far as the terms go, but the open coil goes on the bottom and the flatter end goes on top as in the photo.

View attachment 342259
I found an inside spring compressor

View attachment 342259

View attachment 342259
I found an inside spring compressor that fitted nicely after I cut the treaded rod down to 10 in. I used a marker pen to mark the correct position of the spring, made it a lot easier to find the right position. But I hate working with springs , I know they want to get me. One of the old springs was upside down and the other was out of position. New springs, tall lower ball joints,poly bushings. Can't wait to test it after alignment.
15609786905525747718558666930557.jpg

I found it hard to keep the spring and isolator centered on the pilot in the frame pocket at the top so I took the hooks off the end opposite the bolt head and stuck the threaded end through the frame and screwed the block on top, then held the spring tight to the frame so I didn’t have to hold the spring up while putting everything together.

I found it hard to keep the spring and isolator centered on the pilot in the frame pocket at the top so I took the hooks off the end opposite the bolt head and stuck the threaded end through the frame and screwed the block on top, then held the spring tight to the frame so I didn’t have to hold the spring up while putting everything together.
Never thought about that, I had to reposition the claws and hook an extra coil to it and compress it really tight.
It made wierd noises,really scary I hate coil springs.! After that there was no problem.
I taped the isolator to the spring with cable wrap tape ? don`t know what you call it english.

It sounds like you got it. Messing with coil springs is unnerving, it’s like they’re just waiting to come apart and tear your head off.

It sounds like you got it. Messing with coil springs is unnerving, it’s like they’re just waiting to come apart and tear your head off.

I had a spring compressor fail while I was holding the assembly in my hands once.

I threw those underwear away.

Never thought about that, I had to reposition the claws and hook an extra coil to it and compress it really tight.
It made wierd noises,really scary I hate coil springs.! After that there was no problem.
I taped the isolator to the spring with cable wrap tape ? don`t know what you call it english.
Thats the way I do it too. Plus you can get more compression on it that way and it's less likely to slip.

The only on car spring compressor I will ever use. Very heavy duty. Takes most of the terror away! :oops:

View attachment 342466
They look very sturdy, but the next time I think I will fabricate a fixture for the bushings GM factory repair manual style and leave the LCA connected at the balljoint

No need a spring Compressor,let the lower control arm connected at the balljoint,put the spring in place And Jack the LCA,replaplace the two long LCA Bolt,safe Way to do the job

Hi Jared,
Since it's still NIB and never been used....I'd say 1/2 of new price (plus shipping)
I'll eat the PayPal fee

Are you going to GS Nationals in Bowling Green ?
I’ve got a buddy going and could send this down with him .
Pics to follow