Front End Bushing Replacement

Buckshot G/N

Hey Ya'll ,having a thirty year old car ,this coming spring I was planning on getting a front end alignment and
changing out the upper control arm bushing. .After doing a little research ,it seems to be better to purchase the
front end bushing kit.The problem I'm having is to find the best quality { Prothane or Polyurethane Bushing } for
there are so many different brands to choose from. This is and unmolested Buick with low miles so I'm wanting to
keep it close to stock , only black bushing in color. So my questions to my Buick friends ,what quality brands are
folks using for replacement, and what are all the key bushing that you replace. All help would be very appreciative. ...

image.jpeg I have a kit that replaces the radiator core support bushings. I had never paid attention to that area until I stripped the car down for painting. You really can't go wrong with the kit that Kirban sells + the 2 additional GNX bushings for the stock feel. I also purchased an energy suspension black set that I will install on project #2.

Hey Ya'll ,having a thirty year old car ,this coming spring I was planning on getting a front end alignment and
changing out the upper control arm bushing. .After doing a little research ,it seems to be better to purchase the
front end bushing kit.The problem I'm having is to find the best quality { Prothane or Polyurethane Bushing } for
there are so many different brands to choose from. This is and unmolested Buick with low miles so I'm wanting to
keep it close to stock , only black bushing in color. So my questions to my Buick friends ,what quality brands are
folks using for replacement, and what are all the key bushing that you replace. All help would be very appreciative. ...

You're not going to go wrong with Prothane, Kirban's kit, or Energy Suspension's kit. They are functionally identical. Get whichever gives you free shipping.

hes talking about the control arms for an alignment not the frame .....

get the moog , they are same as what was there from factory ,
you can also buy upper from dorman ready to bolt in but they would have offshore cheap bushings and ball joints
the energy suspension kit will also replace them and you can get them in black but they are denser and need to slip on the sleeve which needs to be lubricated and over time can squeak
energy susp 3-3156G is black and services the front control arms

the most often damaged bushing is the rear upper passengerside under the downpipe which gets damaged from the downpipe heat

If you are looking for the upper and lower front control arm bushings the kits they are talking about are for the body to frame bushings. You can get front upper and lower control arm bushings from the same manufactures they are listing.

I went with the Moog problem solver bushings for the front upper control arms. I didn't want to go poly or too stiff there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hes talking about the control arms for an alignment not the frame .....

get the moog , they are same as what was there from factory ,
you can also buy upper from dorman ready to bolt in but they would have offshore cheap bushings and ball joints
the energy suspension kit will also replace them and you can get them in black but they are denser and need to slip on the sleeve which needs to be lubricated and over time can squeak
energy susp 3-3156G is black and services the front control arms

the most often damaged bushing is the rear upper passengerside under the downpipe which gets damaged from the downpipe heat
Thanks for the all tips , I definitely don't need to install Off Shore parts on my American metal if can help it.I'm leaning towards the Energy Sup at Summit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there only two vendors on the board that sells stock polyurethane bushings, I always if possible try to buy from our on board vendors. Thanks...

Plan on a fight getting the old ones out. Easiest way is to drill the rubber multiple times all around the bushing,then drive out the rubber and center sleeve with a punch/screwdriver/etc. Use alot of penetrating oil also. Afterward simply crush the shell with a hammer and pull it out of the control arm. Burning just doesn't work and it stinks. When reinstalling, get a short length of exhaust pipe and fashion some spacers so you don't crush the arm when cranking the new ones in. The Autozone tool works pretty good. Don't forget to put the shaft in the uppers first when installing; people do forget.

Plan on a fight getting the old ones out. Easiest way is to drill the rubber multiple times all around the bushing,then drive out the rubber and center sleeve with a punch/screwdriver/etc. Use alot of penetrating oil also. Afterward simply crush the shell with a hammer and pull it out of the control arm. Burning just doesn't work and it stinks. When reinstalling, get a short length of exhaust pipe and fashion some spacers so you don't crush the arm when cranking the new ones in. The Autozone tool works pretty good. Don't forget to put the shaft in the uppers first when installing; people do forget.
Thanks John, Burning the old bushing out did cross my mind ,now that you have confirmed the odor that is a no no.l still would like to know what brands of "close to oem polyurethane " bushing our members have installed, and are they please with the product.

I went with the Moog problem solver bushings for the front upper control arms. I didn't want to go poly or too stiff there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thanks SpeedRacerX ,Just watch a couple of videos on Moog Problem Solver..That's good stuff ,very cool (y)

Just did it myself, went with napa bushings and ball joints. Had control arms powder coated. Burned the bushings .It was fun. Not