front dash speaker question

Mark Brokaw

Search came up with nothing.I need a step by step on taking the front dash speakers out.Both of mine are blown.thank you in advance

Front speakers

I have done this one already. You will need a short torx screwdriver (autoparts store) to remove the dash plate. Once it is out, you can easily unscrew the speakers. I used a hacksaw to cut a short screwdriver to get into the tight corners by the windshield. If the new speakers when installed push up on the dash plate, try mounting the speaker "ears" under instead of on top of the dash.
You might want to vaccuum out the bugs and dust while you have the dash plate out :)

I use a 1/4 inch socket with a piece of paper inside to hold the torx bit in the 1/4 inch socket. I also use a 6" extension that is basically a wound spring that allows me to move it at any angle under the windshield.
I tried to find the 1/4 inch drive spring extension online but couldnt find it.... sorry

BW

If u really want it to be easier to get at those front spkr skrews run down to the local sears and pick up a skewdriver kit . It has a really nice 45deg head and will get to those skrews very easily i think i payed about $15 for mine. here's a link to what they look like http://www.spectools.com/spec.htm

Novacaine hit it on the head. Before you do this, buy the three driver kit from Sears. The drivers ratchet and they have magnets to keep in the bit.....worth every penny!

I have a skewdriver that I use almost daily at work, they are awesome. Mine is about a 95* angle and is too big to remove the left speaker. I used a screwdriver bit with a wrench that fits around the bit.

If you have a Leatherman type tool, the screwdriver is only about 1.5" long and comes out at a 90, so that, too, is an easy way to unscrew the speakers. As mentioned above, mounting on the underside or bending the metal mounting tabs on the speaker a little is a good idea. I put in an Alpine S series component system and the speaker's profile was way too high. When you remove the old speakers, peel back the black cloth-like cover and check out the actual speaker cone.....it's like wax paper and just touching it will tear it- no wonder the stockers sounded like sh!t! :eek: :D