Front Cover/Water Pump Bolt Size

lethal231ci

The Next Generation
Took off a PTE SLIC, have to replace the bolts where the PTE bracket and their supplied bolts were located, I've searched the site and asked around...need to know what the stock size bolts are for these 2 holes.

Used 5/16" x 18 x 5" on the top, not sure about the bottom since it used a spacer and washer with a short bolt for the PTE bracket. Tried screwing the top bolt in and wouldn't thread. Haven't tried the bottom one yet. Hopefully its just corroded rather than stripped....

I don't have a PTE SLIC so I have no idea what specific bolts you're talking about. All the bolts are 5/16 except the small water pump bolts and the filter adapter bolts (and the goofy metric bolt/stud thing on the WP)

Which one are you trying to mess with?...

I'm not sure if I took the stud out, as the PTE SLIC came with a standoff spacer and bolt to attach to the original stud. As for the top bolt, I can't remember which one it is but I'm pretty sure its the longer one of the 2 that I marked (the one at the very top).

Attachments

• timing cover.jpg
    timing cover.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 132
All three of the ones you marked are 5/16-18

An easy way to get close in the future is to look at what it threads into. Anything TR specific will be metric. A fastner that threads into a plain ole Buick part will be SAE.

Some assemblys can be tricky though. Like the exhaust.... The header bolts are SAE and the crossover bolts are metric.

I've tried 5/16" x 18 x 5" and 5/16" x 18 x 4.75".....it was a no-go. That was about a month ago though and the holes/threads seemed corroded beyond belief, so the bolts wouldn't grab. I'll be working on the GN tomorrow and hopefully the bolts I have will grab now.....If not, then I guess the threads are stripped! Will give an update tomorrow!