Front Coil Spring Install - Help

Silver Ghost

Today was lost failing to install stock front coil springs. The rental tool danced off the coils and proved dangerously useless. So, are there any secrets to getting this done short of spending $200 on an OTC 7045 coil spring installer?

Remove the 2 control arm bolts, reconnect the lower ball joint, insert spring(correct orientation in spring pocket), place jack(with large pad if you have one) under control arm with spring in place, jack up and align each bolt one at a time. The 2 bolts are of different length, so note which bolt comes from which side.
Easy peasy and no messing with a spring compressor. Good luck.

I tried longbedGTs way, but I’m not that talented so I bought a performance tool internal spring compressor to help.

E2DD3E26-36BD-456B-A82C-29C32C1DA51B.jpeg

I took the hooks off the end opposite the head.
Unthread the block.
Remove the lower block w/ hooks.
Work the lower block w/ hooks through the side of the spring.
Put the bolt up through the lower A-arm, block w/hooks and the shock hole.
Thread the block w/o hooks onto the bolt.
Spin the hooks around the spring as far down as you can, then tighten the bolt head through the lower A-arm. It holds the spring and isolator (if used) tight to the frame over the spring pilot.
Compress the spring as needed.

When I took the springs out to cycle the suspension to measure for and test fit some tires and wheels I tried just taking the lower A-arm bolts out, but the spring was pushing out hard enough to bind up the bolts.
I used the spring compressor to make things easier.

It may be the option that works for you too.

I am going through this right now installing new front coil springs. It definitely is not easy. It takes some time getting the tool positioned just right and compressed just enough to get them in. I am using this tool from Snap On.

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 99
Just finished up front coils springs. Bottom line it sucks. Just be patient. It takes some work but once you get everything just right they will go in.

After the nightmare that Saturday was with the lethal spring compressor, I read your recommendations, and Sunday was a breeze. Thanks, much. I just unbolted the LCA's from the frame, slid the springs in and used the spring compressor at the top. The job was actually quite easy.