Fresh build, won't start

tyson

Just built a new motor for my 87. It's got good fuel pressure at the rail(40lbs or so) gets spark. Checked injectors pigtail with noid light, all are working. Did the camshaft sensor setting with Casper tool twice. Has a new crank sensor set at about .025 gap. When I first try to start it it pops once or twice then it's done. Pulled plugs and they're wet so injectors should be working.
Injectors and chip have only a couple hundred miles on them. Reused cam sensor( was fine when pulled) replaced crank sensor with one from oriellys as I broke the old one pulling the motor.

Set up for e 85. Any ideas what's up? I'm guessing timing on injectors or spark is not correct, but not sure why. Any way of checking cam and crank sensor to know if they're functioning correctly? I assume if the light on the caspers cam tool is coming on and off then the sensor should be working???

I would post your procedure for TDC and installing the CS.

Maybe someone will spot something.

After that, Cam timing? Timing chain sprockets on right?

Two things...
Injectors plugged from sitting with e85 in them or the could pack and module need attention.
Be in your spot one time too many. Where are you located? Im sure you can find a person with a good Ignition combo to test that area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used the instructions with the tool. Brought it to tdc marked the 1.45"/25* after tdc. Rotated motor to 25* after then Aimed window of cam sensor somewhat towards drivers headlight. Put cap on connected to tool. Turned clockwise until light shut off, turned it back until light just turned on and locked it in.
I had a spare ignition module and coil pack. Changed them out just in case. Didn't do anything. I've confirmed that all plug wire s are getting spark. I know #1 cylinder plug was wet. I'll pull all them in the next couple of days and see if they're all getting gas for sure or not. Thanks

Is your crankshaft position sensor in the slot furthest from the plug? If it’s in the one closest to the plug it will do what you have described! Ask me how I know!!

Is your crank sensor set properly? By that, I mean is it going threw the right slot on the crank sensor (should be the first slot, not the 2nd closest to the harness) and it is not nicked by the reluctor wheel on the balancer? Has the harmonic balancer been tempered with? By tempering, I mean has the reluctor wheel come off and put back on? Your issue sounds like it is timing related. If you have gas and spark, it should fire. If the plugs are getting wet and it is not starting, either your spark is really weak or nothing at all. Verify that all your grounds at the back of the motor are all secured, and double check the fuses under the dash to make sure nothing is blown.

Sorry been busy haven’t had a chance to get in here. I replaced the crank sensor with an ac delco. Yes it’s in the correct slot. Same issue, won’t start. I think i have figured out what’s up. When the noid light flashes it is really dim. It should be pretty bright I’m. Guessing. So I’m guessing my voltage is low and probably not triggering the injectors?? All of them are about the same. When I get off work tonight I’m going to take voltage readings. What should the voltage read when the injectors should be firing? Full 12v? Where is the ground that the injectors harness grounds through?? I understand that the injectors have power all the time and they are triggered off the ground. thanks

Inj voltage should be the same as the rest of the system.
The "grounds" are individual wires into the ecm. It takes each inj to ground when that particular inj is timed to fire.
I've tested many injs that will fire at 9 1/2 volts, and not show siginificant flow loss. Opening/closing time accuracy is affected.
Most ecm 's have voltage compensation built in, as a part of the tune.

Did you say you went to 1.45” ATDC then 25* past that?? If so there’s your issue the 25* ATDC is the 1.45” mark .

The noid light will blink bright a couple times then get dim. That’s normal.

Make sure you have fuel pressure.
Then look at the spark plugs and see if they are getting wet. Injectors could be stuck. Open or closed.

Verify spark. Pull the spark plug wires off 2 of the coil Pak towers on the same coil. Wrap a wire or paperclip around one of the towers and bend it close to the opposing tower so there is a small gap. Crank the motor and watch the wire see if it throws spark. Then you know for sure...

Dank, no i just did the 1.45" so it's at the 25 degrees is what I was saying. I do have fuel pressure. I took voltage readings at the injector pigtail/plug last night. I'm only pulling .75-1 volt. Obviously way low. So if the injectors ground through my ecm, what ground off the ecm do I need to check? I know there is the grounds off the main harness that attach to the rear of the passenger head, would it be these?
Thanks

TurboBuRick your asshole attitude is why I barely get on this board anymore if you don't want to help don't comment

TurboBuRick your asshole attitude is why I barely get on this board anymore if you don't want to help don't comment

I told you exactly what to do to get your car started. Not only did I tell you, so did the 2 other guys. First 2 posts!!

Sorry it’s above your level of intelligence.

Last edited: