frame flex

Holdenbr

So, I have an 87 GN with T-tops and going down the road is like floating in rough seas.
I am having the brace behind the seat installed but what else can I do?
I read somewhere about a bolt on frame brace that runs from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well.
Is this what is needed or will the back seat brace be enough?
This is the first of many questions since I have no mechanical experience.

I am assuming your shocks are healthy?

That being said, I have not seen that particular brace. But go to Sc&c.com and search for GM G body front frame brace. Looks like a triangle. Looked to be very well made. Cost around $190 or so. I put that one on my GN first. Made a noticeable difference. I also put the rear upper shock tower brace on too . Made it still a little better. Also replaced the shocks with KYB's in all 4 corners and helped out still a little more. The behind the back seat brace is yet to come.
I am sure others will chime in . Good luck.

What kind of shape are your body bushings in? Did you add the missing bushings such as the 2 over the rear axle?
I am not sure where you are located or what kind of condition/mileage it has BUT......
if your cars was driven in the winter time where roads are salted, then there is a chance for rust.
My own car was taken off the road in 2003 and even though it was treated well, I found 3 of the body bushings falling through the frame because the holes rusted oversized. This will cause flex as well.

Suggest start w/ the body bushings as mentioned above. I do the bushings first, then the bracing.

Jounce bars or F41 bars that run from cross member to frame rails can be had fairly cheap, and also the underhood bars from radiator support to fenders

X3 on the body bushings. Did mine in the poly. Ride alittle stiff, but will def take all that bounce out of your car. Depending on how rusted yours, can be medium difficult job or just be a royal pain in the f---ing ass. Several venders here sell the polys and i believe kirbans has both,thepolys and the oringinal rubber mounts. Tough job but you will see def worth doing after you drive your car.

Thx for the replies
They did replace the bushings as well as instal the brace mentioned in the first comment as well as the back seat brace.
I hope to find out next week how it rides.
I also get to find out how many HP this thing will have too.
First attempt was stopped due to lean condition while spooling up. I was told it was up to 370 before they stopped.
He tells me it should be well over 400 after the new pump, injectors and performance chip.
I dont know what was done to it before I got it but he tells me it has a cam and the previous owner says he beefed it up during a rebuild 6,000 miles ago.
So, is that good and what kind of times should I expect?

Wait till you drive it,def notice a huge difference. Might wanna think about a razor alky kitt, hp is getting up there.

I agree on the ALKY if you don't have it. There is a ton of bracing you can do, sounds like you're on the way. I prefer the ride in a G body when lowered an inch or so. Doesn't ride like a boat. Eibach springs have always been my choice, and any performance shock will suffice. Tires make a difference too of course. Factory tires are like riding on balloons.

What is an Alky kit and what does it do?
Sorry to sound so ignorant but I only have the love for the car, not the knowledge

By the way you talked it sounds like someone else is doing the work. Who? Do they work on these cars and engines often? They are different than a SBC . Also what kind of gauges and monitoring equipment do you have? Not to hijack the thread but it sounds like someone is turning up the wick without much of an idea of what to do, what to watch for and where to turn. For instance, where is the chip coming from?

Also post up any known mods your car has , don't want you to buy something you don't need or not right for your goals . What are your goals , Street car only , street & track , ET goals . Where are you located . Sam

All good comments
As I have said in previous posts, I have no mechanical knowledge beyond basic vehicle maintenance.
I have to rely on others to tell me what this car needs and up to this point I haven't had much luck.
My current mechanic seems to know his stuff but his main forte is Japanese turbo's such as skylines, supra's and right hand imports.
I have kept it as original as possible and still add to the performance. I am looking for a fairly dependable street car that can still turn heads when I push on the gas pedal.
I don't know what the previous mods have been

Where are you located , someone maybe in your area that WE know that can help out . Remember these cars are unique and many performance shops don't know the "tricks" to get these cars running at their best like we do here . (y) Sam

Where are you located , someone maybe in your area that WE know that can help out . Remember these cars are unique and many performance shops don't know the "tricks" to get these cars running at their best like we do here . (y) Sam

Im located in Tulsa, OK and would love to find someone in this area that could work on and educate me on this car but so far I have had no luck so any help would be appreciated.

Im located in Tulsa, OK and would love to find someone in this area that could work on and educate me on this car but so far I have had no luck so any help would be appreciated.

Not my neck of the woods , but maybe someone else may chime in . Sam