FOUND THESE PARTS IN MY TRANS PAN ....

Boxcars

Banned
Dropped my pan to change the filter and found these broken plastic parts in the pan. This trans is stock other than a billet servo. The trans have never been apart and has probably under a 100,000 miles. It shifts very well with no issues whatsoever. Can anybody give me a heads up of what this debris is, or what they might indicate? TIA

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 250
That's the front selective washer o.d. I would pull the trans and pump to at minimum inspect that area. I can't see it being ok with most of that washer gone
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of potential damage. The front section of the trans will be thrusting around, possible damage to the back of the stator tube causing it to come loose, damage to the OD/overrun basket, damage to the overrun clutch. Pieces getting jammed in the OD planet and ring gear just to name some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't let it go. LOTS of potential for major carnage without that thrust washer.

Dropped my pan to change the filter and found these broken plastic parts in the pan. This trans is stock other than a billet servo. The trans have never been apart and has probably under a 100,000 miles. It shifts very well with no issues whatsoever. Can anybody give me a heads up of what this debris is, or what they might indicate? TIA
It is pieces of a selective thrust washer as stated. See picture of a used washer.
Thanks, but what effect will that have? Nothing at all so far.
The front end of the trans will thrust forward and back excessively. It can cause damage to the stator support and the over run clutch housing. I would inspect the sprag and the pinion assembly for wear or damage. Also check the ring gear for damage. Replace anything that is worn or damaged.
Can it be replaced without total disassembly?
The trans needs to be removed from vehicle. Remove the pan, pull the filter, remove 2 10mm bolts holding lock-up solenoid and remove solenoid and let it hang. Remove 7 13mm bolts holding the pump in. The pump can be removed using a large flat screwdriver. Whats left of the washer will be there. Clean out debris and check for any damage, it will be very noticeable. While apart, install a hardened stator support in pump. You will need a pump gasket, pump o-ring, pump sealing washers, pump selective washer and 2 new o-rings, one for end of input shaft and one for lock-up solenoid at the minimum. Installation is the reverse with new parts installed. A trans shop can do this job in less than an hour. I can supply you with the correct parts for the repair.

washer.jpg

Thankyou David for your expert and detailed information. Can I reach you tomorrow to order the parts , or if more convenient for you, order online?

I'm having a problem getting the pump out. I removed the lock up solenoid and bolts retaining the flange, and was able to move the flange forward perhaps a 1/4 to 3/8" and it won't come any further. Using two screw drivers to pry the pump forward where lock up solenoid goes in, but it just won't release. Is there something else that needs to be removed, a retaining clip or some trick to it?

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 145
I'm having a problem getting the pump out. I removed the lock up solenoid and bolts retaining the flange, and was able to move the flange forward perhaps a 1/4 to 3/8" and it won't come any further. Using two screw drivers to pry the pump forward where lock up solenoid goes in, but it just won't release. Is there something else that needs to be removed, a retaining clip or some trick to it?
Be careful not to damage anything. Seat the pump back in case. Pry on solenoid side down towards valvebody and tap with a hammer on the outside ring of the pump lightly to release it. Pump needs to come out of case even to be removed. Looks to be angled in picture. If there is damage at the stator, it may be catching a seal on input shaft and it could be difficult to remove. Be patient and think it out first as not to cause any damage. Using the proper tools is always best, but they can be removed safely this way. Even with the correct puller, you sometimes have to tap the pump to remove.

Thanks Dave. I went to a small repair/transmission shop close by and all he had was a small puller. However, it should have come right out, but something is holding it in, possibly some of those plastic fragments from the selective washer. His puller was just a fork of sorts that fit on the groove of the stator but it kept slipping up on to the splines. It'll need a more heavy duty puller to pull it past whatever it's hung up on. I'll find a better equipped shop tomorrow. Any additional input, by anyone, is appreciated.

The r
Thanks, but what effect will that have? Nothing at all so far.
The reason it hasnt shown any trouble is because oil in the torque converter is acting on the front face of the shaft seating it rearward when the engine is running. It belongs there but i have seen them run without it without scratching the od basket, This doesnt mean it is ok though.

Just to update. I ended up having to have it rebuilt. I couldn't get out the pump because there was lots of damage, metal to metal scoring and such behind the pump, and it was stuck in there. I found a trans shop locally and fortunately the 60ish tech there had lots of experience with 700s and 200s. When he got the pump out the damage was apparent and I had no choice but have the total rebuild done. Luckily I had an extra trans apart with hard parts that needed replacement. I put on about 300 miles so far, and I am quite happy with it so far.