Found another GN

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
But IMO a tad overpriced....with a red flag....

It's an 85 GN but it has an 87 GN drivetrain in it.

It needs bumper fillers, the engine is bone stock, no scan tool, nothing....body is ok (paint is thinned in some areas but interior is ok)

Here's the biggest kicker....I ask for the 8th digit of the vin....he responds with an "A". :eek:

So then I bring up the subject of "Not a real GN, vin should be a 9"...to which he responds "It's been re-vinned b/c it's a theft recovery." :eek:

Guy is asking $7500 and not much wiggle room.

Bummer...really I wanted the drivetrain/engine, not sure I want to pay that much for a stocker, and definitely don't know that I want to deal with a revinned car.

Thinking of passing on this unless you can convince me it's worth it.

Is that Oak Grove MO? Seen one on CL that matches your description perfect

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Is that Oak Grove MO? Seen one on CL that matches your description perfect

Yes it is.

3G43s73qd5E15K45Jcd67ac4548ccf6171c71.jpg

3Ed3F73J15G95r35Mcd678c33ace564bd1cc5.jpg

Except none of what I've mentioned is listed in any of the CL ad's (that I could find). I'm guessing you must have already called about it.

If he said it has been re-vin'd, it was re-vin'd by thieves. A state re-vin is an assigned plate in the door that is stamped with a quite basic number, not 17 digits like normal VINs. That car could still be reported stolen as well as the car the V8 VIN plate came out of. That sounds like one to report to the po-po.

Stolen 87 GN with a 85 NA Regal vin tag. I have seen this done before. The only thing swapped was the vin tag.

If he said it has been re-vin'd, it was re-vin'd by thieves. A state re-vin is an assigned plate in the door that is stamped with a quite basic number, not 17 digits like normal VINs. That car could still be reported stolen as well as the car the V8 VIN plate came out of. That sounds like one to report to the po-po.

not necessary true, i have had and seen state/CHP issued VIN's with the original VIN assigned to the car/bike as well as new number that started CA then a sequence of numbers.

Thanks for the tip fast86gn. When he told me the 8th digit was an A (and not a 9 like from factory) that was a red flag that either 1. a vin swap happened or 2. a clone. Hell look at the fender badges...they're in the wrong spot. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but didn't all 85 GN's have leather Recaro seats? This one has cloth seats.

Anyways I'm gonna pass...smells too much to me like a theft job looking to be passed off....bummer though, but a red flag if anyone spots a GN on KC craigslist in the Oak grove area.

Actually I saw the bad bumper fillers in the pic and figured there can't be too many 85s on CL that have the inter cooled motor AND listed for $7500. Didn't call him

Ask about the spid label on the bottom of the deck lid. See if the vin matches that.
Look it over for signs of a color change. Lots of tell tale things on a tr. Inner fender comes to mind. Look it over close and offer what you are willing to pay.

Thanks for the tip fast86gn. When he told me the 8th digit was an A (and not a 9 like from factory) that was a red flag that either 1. a vin swap happened or 2. a clone. Hell look at the fender badges...they're in the wrong spot. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but didn't all 85 GN's have leather Recaro seats? This one has cloth seats.

Anyways I'm gonna pass...smells too much to me like a theft job looking to be passed off....bummer though, but a red flag if anyone spots a GN on KC craigslist in the Oak grove area.

85 GN's had the same interior as a 86/87, the Lear siegler (I think I spelled that wrong) seats you speak of were on 84's. I noticed the badges as well but also as Rich mentioned check the sticker under the deck lid and check the vin there and see if it matches the car. Looks like to me it is a clone.

That's not true david I had a 85 with Lear seats the most comfortable car I ever owned

The Lear Siegler seats started in the 82 GN David.;) Since there wasn't a GN in 83 it skipped 1 year and then went in the 84-85 cars. I believe these were the only GM cars they were ever offered in but I could be wrong.

That's not true david I had a 85 with Lear seats the most comfortable car I ever owned

Now Brian why would you want those uguly azz seats in your car? Were the LS seats an option in '85?

Charlie, I knew of the 82's but we were talking 84/85's The 82's are just a different animal.
Everyone ask how many years did they make the GN? I just tell em 84-87 it's to much to have to explain the 82's. haha