Forged shelf pistons

Mike T

So I’ve been looking at what’s available these days. For the 3.8 there’s the Sealed Power that replaced the old TRW, JE, Diamond, CP, and DSS.

I believe that Racetec is another but I don’t see turbo Buick listed as standard stock.

I’m considering the DSS. It’s available in .010 Over, 15cc dish and 1.880 CH.
I need to do some measuring to make sure the 1.880 will work but for a shelf piston it looks pretty good on paper. The weight appears to be on par with JE at 536 grams and the rep told me for a fee we could move the CH to wherever I needed. Not sure if they have pin offset or not but that would be preferable to me.

Anyone running DSS? Price is in the low 500 range + rings.

I know the JE has pin offset but not sure about the others.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
That's because the Racetec stuff is my slugs. There's no 'shelf' pistons because I maximized them make the dimensions exact for every build.

Mike T

Is pin offset standard with the Racetec? What about Diamond?

A piston with pin offset and valve reliefs would also be bank specific.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
No piston pin offset and no valve reliefs on my slugs. They can go on either bank.

No idea on the Diamonds. I wouldn't run them in my lawn mower. The unnecessary valve relief makes for a VERY thin area at the crown where they like to break.

Mike T

DSS doesn't have pin offset per the rep. If you happen to have pictures I'd like to see how they look in general, in particular around the pin area. Pretty sure the DSS website is showing a generic photo

Mike T

Thanks for posting pics of the racetec. Not many pictures on here since the crash and I’ve always found visuals invaluable. Hope to get a few of the DSS if available