For those with the AVC Dash - Has anyone changed your speedo cable to a one piece?

MCF87GN

I have the AVC dash in my 1987 GN and my upper portion of the two piece cable is worn out. Am I able to change the 2 piece cable to a one piece and run right from the transmission up to the back of the VDO speedometer and avoid the box in the middle?

Advice from those with insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Nope, the AVC dash uses a speedometer cable operated VSS sender , hence the two piece cable. You will need a 2 pc cable in order for the Vehicle Speed Sensor to work.

It can be done. Get a feed through speedometer sensor made by several companies like Autometer with a 7/8-18 input and output thread. Most of these sensors are 16 pulse per revolution so you will also need a pulse converter made by Dakota Digital like the SGI-5C to convert to the proper pulse count per mile. You mount the sensor directly onto the transmission then connect the cable to it. I just installed one on a '86 GN with a GNX style dash.

I just purchased a 2 piece replacement (upper & lower ) speedo cable on ebay, will post a link.

It can be done. Get a feed through speedometer sensor made by several companies like Autometer with a 7/8-18 input and output thread. Most of these sensors are 16 pulse per revolution so you will also need a pulse converter made by Dakota Digital like the SGI-5C to convert to the proper pulse count per mile. You mount the sensor directly onto the transmission then connect the cable to it. I just installed one on a '86 GN with a GNX style dash.

FWIW The TR ECM and Cruise use 2000 PPM and the Dakota digital interface works well. This spring I installed a 4l80 and the PPM is 168000 and teh box allows me to drop it to 2000 PPM and ecm and cruise works great.

Last edited:
Of course if you wanted you could eliminate the cable all together. Convert to an electronic speedometer.

Looks like the vendor of the replacement 2 piece speedo cable is asking me for each individual lengths of (both upper & lower) speedo cables! Guess he makes them to order. Can anyone confirm upper & lower lengths?

Of course if you wanted you could eliminate the cable all together. Convert to an electronic speedometer.

You still need a VSS for the cruise control. Mine is mounted on the side of the transmission where the cable used to attach and I have a GPS sender for the speedo. The green VSS buffer can be eliminated as well.

I think I understand that. You use a modern VSS attached to the transmission and then The box converts it to what your speedo and/or your cruise control needs?
The Dakota box is used for the computer and cruise control only. The electronic speedometer can be calibrated for what ever speed sensor you use. It does not need the Dakota box.

Looks like the vendor of the replacement 2 piece speedo cable is asking me for each individual lengths of (both upper & lower) speedo cables! Guess he makes them to order. Can anyone confirm upper & lower lengths?
The one I have measures: Upper 35 inches , Lower 49 inches

Don't mean to hijack, but I have the avc dash and my cruise control sometimes cuts out and then comes back on later. Any thoughts?

Hope you can help me, I have the Dakota digital SG1-5C, question is where do I connect the 2000 pulse signal coming out of the SG15C to? Do you know the wire id to connect it to? Thanks in advance, Garry

Hope you can help me, I have the Dakota digital SG1-5C, question is where do I connect the 2000 pulse signal coming out of the SG15C to? Do you know the wire id to connect it to? Thanks in advance, Garry
under the dash there is a green box, the VSS buffer. On one side there are 3 wires going into it. Tap the 2000 pulse sensor into the green and black wires. The red one isn't used .. You can also eliminate the VSS buffer and tap into two other wires which is what I did. I'll have to check under my dash to see which ones and post.

under the dash there is a green box, the VSS buffer. On one side there are 3 wires going into it. Tap the 2000 pulse sensor into the green and black wires. The red one isn't used .. You can also eliminate the VSS buffer and tap into two other wires which is what I did. I'll have to check under my dash to see which ones and post.
Thanks, I actually have the SGI-5E bit C if that matters.
so I cut off the photo eye pickup and use the green and black wires. Where does the black wire connect to.? The input from the pulse sender has 2 wires, one goes the the SGI sspeed input signal, the other is ground and appears it goes to the SGI sensor ground? The output from the SGI goes to the green wire, where does the black get connected to? Ground?

thanks for the help

I may have steered you wrong here. I think you need a converter to change the 2000 PPR to 16 PPR for the cruise control. I think Caspers has something like that.