For Gun-Control Advocates (long)

gun controll?

gentleman i was born a long time ago in the mountains of tennessee where hunting was a way of life, so was making a little white lighting, shooting squirrels and bunny rabbits, wild boar, with a 22 cal, single shotand a 16 g single shot shot gun, i have 46 assorted guns in my home ,i quit hunting back in 78. in my opion any american citizen that dont have a criminal record should have the right to own a full auto weapon without buying a federal stamp, i spent 4 years in the military, if you have never fired a full automatic, try it it makes you feel good shakes a little, almost as good as my stage 2 race car when you realse the trans brake, i carry a hand gun in the console of my truck at all times, i have a permit to carry a hand gun in indiana, and if some one tries to steal my horses, farm tractors. or any thing else that i worked for i would defend my property and worry about what is legal after it was over, thanks a old republican hillbilly,:cool:

Originally posted by BlownZ
Yes a gun is designed to kill things.

Just want to offer a quick clarification...

In the strictest sense, guns are NOT designed to "kill things". They are designed to fire a projectile, no more, no less...It's entirely up to the human being in control of the gun as to WHERE he fires the projectile. Guns just happen to be a very proficent tool for killing things...

And the vast majority of all projectiles are fired at inanimate objects.

Most knives are used in the kitchen...but try telling that to Sharon Tate & Nicole Brown. No amount of gun control could've ever helped them...

It's way past time to quit trying to lock up guns & start locking up a few criminals instead...
:mad:

Strict sense or real world...it's only a question of semantics. Gun go boom....thing fall over dead.

Originally posted by BOOSTD

-There are 10million resedents in Canada
-There are 7 million guns in Canada
-Canada has very fiew murders annually and very little violence involving guns.

So...Why does Canada have so little trouble with guns?
Laws?
Society?
Education?

BOOSTD

If you do a search on the subject you will find that the statistics on Canada and their gun crimes are very misleading and not very accurate. Canada is an entirely different society than America. Their is FAR FAR more gun activity in Canada than the statistics show and even the Canadian government will readily admit it.

America's problem is that we don't enforce the gun laws that we already have. Liberals try to treat a gun as though it were evil and had a mind of its own rather than admitting that our problem isn't a gun...it is the criminal using that gun.

Drunk drivers kill people but we don't outlaw alcohol?

Smoking kills people....but we don't make tobacco illegal?

Car accidents kill people....but we don't outlaw cars?

People die jumping out of planes....but we don't make that illegal?

Cocaine is illegal but you can still get it anywhere.

Marijuana is illegal...you can guy that in any high school in America

Why are we so retarded to think that by making a gun illegal that criminals won't be able to get them still? They Will....so the only ones that are armed WILL BE THE CRIMINAL!!!

You get the point...I would hope. Guns don't kill people....people kill people. The gun isn't evil...the person is.

Originally posted by Jebadias
Right now one of the best varmint rifles on the market is a 24" barrel AR-15 varient......

Kinda like the one on top of my car???? ;)
267013_91_full.jpg

After seeing the documentary "Bowling for Columbine," I would like to ask this question; not because I am being argumetative but because I am truely perplexed by this fact...

-There are 10million resedents in Canada
-There are 7 million guns in Canada
-Canada has very fiew murders annually and very little violence involving guns.

So...Why does Canada have so little trouble with guns?
Laws?
Society?
Education?

BOOSTD

i wouldn't go so far as to call "bowling.." a documentary.it's obviously biased in it's approach,and much of it's logic and timeline is flawed.a documentary states facts,not opinion,rhetoric and propaganda.

i don't have the national crime rates for us/canada handy,but i'm betting that a per capita comparison would show that canada isn't the crime-free utopia that michael moore would have you think it is.i remember a couple of years ago there was a thurston/columbine type school shooting in canada.anybody remember hearing about it?didn't think so...:rolleyes:

compare canada's # to:

-60-65 million gun owners in u.s.
-over 200 million guns,including 65-70 million handguns

we have more people,so naturally we'll have more crime.i'd be interested to see a per capita comparison.i'd be willing to bet that there's still more crime here,but not by the huge margin some would have you believe...

OK, lets say, I agree with you guys (Shhh! don't say that!!!) What do we do about lowering the crime in our country? If taking the weapon away fromt the fellon isnt an option, what, then, do we do to keep every person with a gun and an attitude from holding up the local 7/11 for a pack of gum?

Education? - well yes, but who here remembers their DARE program? I don't. Gun programs will have the same affect. (or lack there of)

Harsher Sentences? - How many people do you think would think of the consequences before they hold up a bank? For most of those people, that little voice in their head has been gone for quite some time.

More Gun Regulation - Well this is the topic of our discussion so thats out of the question.

So my question now is, what do we do to keep gun related crimes from happening? What things, other than what I have mentioned, can we do to lower the crime rate in the US?
Since we cant regulate guns, what are we to do about the crime in America?

BOOSTD

originally posted by BOOSTD
maybe thats the reason why Im for gun control. I've only shot .22's and 12 gauges. Well...one time I shot a mini 14. I think thats what its called. So, my experience with guns is somewhat limited

So tell me BOOSTD, what did you think of the mini 14?

As far as comparing crime statistics, every country reports them a little (or a lot) different. The US reports 1st and 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, and some others in a lump sum, while some other countries only report 1st degree murder for these statistics. It's really not fair to compare THOSE kind of numbers.

Something else to think about- Switzerland, Sweden, and Crete have some of the lowest crime rates in the world. Many of thier citizens have fully automatic weapons in thier homes.
The Austrailian Provence of Victoria had a crime rate increase of over 300% the year following thier almost total ban on firearms, with about a 50% increase nation wide. International statistics do not prove that gun laws reduce crime, despite what some groups would have you believe. People were killing each other long before anyone thought to put some exploding powder and a rock in a pipe and light it.

Originally posted by Carman83ss454
Kinda like the one on top of my car???? ;)
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/267000-267999/267013_91_full.jpg

Uh... yep. What are you holding? M1A1? Almost bought one a little while ago. Still debating on that or the FN FAL

Originally posted by WFO
i wouldn't go so far as to call "bowling.." a documentary.it's obviously biased in it's approach,and much of it's logic and timeline is flawed.a documentary states facts,not opinion,rhetoric and propaganda.

bowling... WFO is right. There has been so much critisism about this so called "documentary" that I really don't know where to start. Look at this.

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

So my question now is, what do we do to keep gun related crimes from happening? What things, other than what I have mentioned, can we do to lower the crime rate in the US?
No one has ever been able to come up with a cure-all for crime. No nation in recorded history has done it, and it is not going to happen in our lifetime. The best thing that I can do is to try to live my life right, and try to instill a sense of morals on my children and the people I come in contact with.

The mini 14 was cool, but not something I would write home about. Im just not that interested in guns. I can finaly see where you guys are coming from though. I wouldnt want someone to pass a law that would make it illegal to own a car that could exciede 65mph.

So, even though Im NOT a gun advocate, you have my support (sigh).

BOOSTD