For Gun-Control Advocates (long)

There's nothing like a good debate to stimulate the mind, and nothing like talking down to someone to close their objectivity permanently.

RealFastV6, while I am certian that you and I are on the same side of the political spectrum I feel compelled to offer some criticism as to your tactics of persuasion. I completely understand your frustration in regards to this topic, especially considering the fact that logic and rationale overwhelmingly reside with our perspective. However I must be blunt when I say that your methods are less than desireable. Simply put... you just ain't helpin the cause. You arent gonna acccomplish anything by telling someone that they are ridiculous or stupid. If anything you're gonna piss them off and probably validate the misconception that us gun owners are a bunch of redneck hicks with some kind of fetish for firepower. Instead, why dont you show a little patience and tolerance for those who probably havent had the opportunity to fully understand the importance of the second amendment. Like it or not you are representing a community of individuals.

Now then.... with that off my chest....

BOOSTD, you bring up several concerns and Ill try to address each of them.

First, let me start with the premise that gun, like a hammer or a buick, is an inanimate object neither good not bad. People who would tell you different are inherently biased. Why? Well, if a measure of an object's "evilness" is how many people it has killed, then cars, as the number one cause of deaths in America are far far more evil than guns.

That might surprise you, and so it should as the people that are opposed to firearms usually fail to tell you that guns are 7th or 8th on the list of things that claim the lives of Americans every year. Remove gun related crimes from that list and the number would drop even further. Furthermore, this number does not take into account the MILLIONS, yes MILLIONS of times that firearms save lives every year, in many instances without ever having to fire a shot. It is very likely that overall guns save more lives than they claim. But this is another fact that the anti-gun crowd leaves out... I wonder why.

None of this however addresses your point of whether or not me and you have the right to own a gun which I will cover now.

You pointed to the second amendment, specifically the part regarding "A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State." You are correct in commenting that too often people forget to include this part when talking about the second amendment. I find that highly ironic considering some of the strongest evidence for individual gun ownership comes from this phrase. To show this, I will need to go through it step by step.

Your first objection says that we have a militia today because we have the Army and police and so on and so forth. If you look at the definition of a militia however you will find that a militia is specifically a group of citizens that have banded together to serve a military function. A militia is NOT an official military organization. You might be surprised to know that you yourself are a member of the militia. You enlisted the minute you turned 18.

Furthermore, back when the Bill of Rights was written they too had an army and a navy and police. The common allusion to the national guard is also false as the national guard was not established till 1918, not to mention that it is a governmental organization. With all this the founders still felt it necessary to include this right. Why? That is answered with the second part of the phrase "the security of a free state". They understood that the last line of defense against a tyrannical government was an armed population.... specifically the people. Juse as freedom of speech and religion is granted to "the people" so is the right to bear arms.

This single reason is the entire purpose for the second amendment. Its not for hunting or protection or sport. It is to allow the population a means of defense should the government overstep its power. It is because of this reason that law abiding citizens should have the freedom to purchase powerful rifles with standard capacity magazines. If you deny them the right to adaquately arms themselves as they see fit then you are defeating the entire purpose behind the amendment. You cannot protect your freedom unless you have the proper tools.

Please understand that this is only the briefest of explanations and doesnt really cover every pertinent point... but it is a start and hopefully one that makes you think.

Like I said before, I am still young and am constantly learning. You provide VERY good evidence that supports your argument. Since I first read this thread, I have been researching gun control. Interestingly, my stance on this subject is no longer as rock solid as it used to be.

I have a question though. When is enough, enough? This is one of the main reasons why I am not sure about where I stand. Lets say that we get and secure the right to own ANY gun we want, since the 2nd amendment gives us this exclusive right. What next?
A silencer?
A hand granade?
A rocket launcher?
Mines?
Tanks?
I know Im being kind of drastic, but seriously, where does it end? All of these can be considered "arms," can't they? Please enlighten me.

BOOSTD

Innocent until Proven Guilty

Boostd and others,

Who's to say that having a tank, grenade launcher or any other arm to "too" much? I like the comparison to the automobile as this is in your intrests or you probably wouldn't be here. Who's to say how fast or quick your personal transportation should be? Who's to say how big or luxurious your home should be? I hope these things make you think. This is the GREATNESS of this country. You are in control of your personal goals and the way you persue them. If you wish to drive a beater import and pour you assests into a tank or halftrack from WWII that is your choice(I know people like this). If you wish to drive a new HummerH2 and live, let's just say, not so high on the hog, that is your choice also. What I'm getting at is this is a free country and you may live as you chose. That is why I encourage everyone to vote. I rarely will tell anyone who I support, just be sure to go to the polls and exercize your rights as an AMERICAN citizen. Vote people and a bunch of the sorriness will be voted out of office. As my grandfather used to tell me believe none of what you hear and half of what you read and form your own opinions. I think it's great that you have taken the time to research the subject of gun control and I hope it doesn't stop there, because politicians love unarmed, uneducated peasants. Good Luck.

Rich

BOOSTD,

I knew you were gonna ask that :D Heres the kicker. The 2nd guarantees the righyt of individuals to keep and bear arms. There is a strict distinction today as well as back in the late 1700's between arms and ordinance. Arms are almost always considered to be weapons carried/used/intended for individuals on a one on one basis, specifically pistols rifles, and even machine guns. Ordinance on the other hand accounts for everything else... today that would be tanks grenades C4 and all that good stuff... 200 years ago it was cannons, expolsives and such. Therefore the government has no right to prohibit individuals from purchasing AK 47's m16's or your grandfathers 60 yr old WWII rifle. What It can legally prohibit is the sale and possession of those other things that I mentioned.

There are some people that will probably dispute this suggesting that grenades and such are fine as long as you dont break the law. Whether or not I agree with them doesnt change the point however about what is written in the constitution and the specific rights that are granted to the people. This cannot be disputed if one is to be consistent and true to the intent and word of the second amendment. Just like those people who dislike guns must come to terms with the fact that it is a specific right, those of us who think it would be really cool to own a tank or any of that other stuff, and would never ever use it to harm anyone, must come to terms with the fact that the government has the right to prevent us from doing so.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, the second amendment does guarantee the right of individuals to bear arms, and there is a clear distinction between arms and ordinance as Stage 2 so eloquently stated. It is the intention of gun grabbers in this country, mainly the far left, to eradicate the second amendment. Such a large number of Americans are gun owners, that this cannot be done overnight. I am reminded of the movie "What about Bob" in which Bill Murray plays an emotionally disturbed individual that seeks help from a psychiatrist played by Richard Dreyfus (or maybe it was BFH not really sure). The good doctor starts Bob on his recovery program named "Baby Steps", the same title of his new book. The concept was to achieve the ultimate goal of total serenity gradually, and in small increments. A very bright strategy, and quite a funny movie to me at least. Theres nothing funny about this strategy being used to attack the second amendment as it is a deceitfully gradual yet cunning maneuver. First outlaw the sks and hi capacity magazines, then institute waiting periods and background checks, then?? Its all about baby steps.

"Now that all the guns in the country are registered, there will be less crime." -Adolf Hitler...1933.

Originally posted by BOOSTD
If the intent of a certain gun is to kill people, then why would a law abbiding citizen have the incredible need to own one?

Yes a gun is designed to kill things. Guns don't kill people...People kill people. Get it! If I am defending my life from a criminal you can sure as hell bet I want a gun that will kill someone.

Speeking of owning a gun... lets take a look at the 2nd amendment...shall we?

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

From the way I interprite this amendment, it looks like the only people who are allowed to own a gun are those who are in the Militia.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that you are wrong. They have interpreted the Second Amendment to mean that a militia has nothing to do with it...people have the right to keep and bear arms. They are probably more in tune with the constitution than you..no offense.

Maby we should stop fighting for the right to own a AR-15 and just be glad we have the right to own ANY gun.

Yes maybe we should stop fighting for our rights. That's good thinking...I see you are on the cutting edge. If the founding fathers had your attitude we would be eating crumpets and drinking tea and all have bad teeth.

Guns don't kill people...people kill people. Simple. True. If I am a law abiding citizen then me owning a gun won't matter. If I am a criminal..I am going to own the gun anyways...you just won't know about it. It amazes me what a simple concept this is but some cannot understand that the friggin criminal mind doesn't obey the stupid law so making it against the law...is retarded now isn't it. :rolleyes:

Well, Hitler did achieve gun control, and when he had them all registered, he came in and knew exactly where to go to take them all. It was a masterpiece of disabling a country and him becoming a fascist leader. Well. Our forefathers saw this situation way back when they put together our Constitution. The second amendment gives us the right to bare arms and the government has no right to abridge those right in ANY way. They charged us, the owners of this country and government with the responsibility to use those arms to overthrown and disband any government that became so oppressive to us that we deemed it unfit to lead. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ARMS, PERIOD. Now if you wish to support the right for the press to so invoke first amendment privileges, you can't diminish our rights to invoke the second amendment. Yes, criminals and kids should not have guns, yet with all these unconstitutional laws already on the books, we are being shot and killed every day by those very two groups. The fix is not to further gun laws, it's to use the laws we already have and PUNISH those that break the laws. Prior to all our modern era of legislation on guns, we had more than ample limits already in place. The trouble was that the judicial system started to think more liberally and not fully punish those that broke the laws. They always found some mitigating circumstance to lessen the law’s provisions.
It is our right and duty to maintain guns in our homes and that is guaranteed by the Constitution. That right also shall not be abridged as it has been so blatantly in recent years. If you argue that the forefathers had no idea about the types of weapons available these days, I say that is true, but it doesn't lessen the fact that they had the foresight to realize the greater harm is in disabling the American public from being able to protect itself, either from a criminal or the government.

Mark :D

This is the exact wording in the Constitution. If you have any questions as to the intent, I would say you have a problem with admitting what the meaning of is, is. The forth amendment covers our right to secure and protect our properties as well. The two kind of answers everyone doubt as to why you should be able to shoot a burglar.

Amendment II
1. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment IV
1. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Looks pretty clear to me. Only problem is, if you are a lawyer, I'm sure you have trouble seeing black and white.

Boosted, that comma makes it two seperate items, the militia and the people. not the people of the militia. Those founders were very careful and wise in wording their items. Not much confusion there unless you want there to be.

The 4th gives us the right to protect ourselves against unreasonable search and seizure. What can be more unreasonable than a robbery? I don't think a robber will try going to court to get a warrant to come in and steal your stuff.

Holy $#!@, Im still getting bashed for my beliefs five months after I stated them! WTF? Crumpets? Tea? Bad teath? Do you make generalizations about all people? All blacks are lazy!? All Mexicans are dirty!? All Arabs are terrorists!? All liberals eat crumpets, ride their bikes to the forest, and go hug a tree?!?!?
You know, thats the reason why we started this little country: to escape persecution!
Why is it that some people cant argue a point in an intelegent and mature manner?

I still stand behind my beliefs! :mad:

BOOSTD

P.S. The 4th amendmet aplies to the government, NOT an individuall acting on his own accord! Of course, Im not in tune with the constitution, so my words mean nothing.

Wow. Is our educational system really this bad?

The Tea and crumpet comment was referring to the fact that if our forefathers had not fought for their rights then we would still be part of the British Empire. The English are well known for drinking tea each afternoon. The American Revolution.... geez...where did that turn into a bash on liberals or Mexicans? You are totally off track my friend....not even on the right planet.

Im tired of arguing! Isnt it funny though, how you demand me to see things your way while calling my views stupid? In fact, you take it a step further and call ME stupid! Yeah, I have no idea why I was accepted to college; I cant even add 2 + 2...

NOW WAIT A SECOND!!! Who has the power to control the educational system? I sure as H@!! havent for the last 17years.

Anyway, why wont anyone support my views? I realy dont enjoy being the ONLY lamb to the slaughter.

BOOSTD

P.S. I took astrology in hischool, but I can't seem to remember what planet Im NOT on? :rolleyes:

?????????????

DAMN! and all along I was under the impression that gun control was hitting what you are aiming at!!
It's amazing how many $hithouse lawyers we have on this board!:rolleyes:

Oh Boy. Where do I start. I read about half the post and then just skipped to the end, so if anything I say is already covered, deal with it. Oops, I better be politicaly correct, so if it's covered I'm sooo sorry:p

First off, excellent story. And way too true. Lots of good quotes from very respected people too. Especially the one from 87blackbuick

originally posted by TylerDurden
...hell some states you cant get that until you are 18....yet you can own a gun at age whatever??????

the whatever age is 18 for rifles, shotguns, and airguns. 21 for hand guns. That means that I was carrying a handgun in the line of duty for three years before I was able to own one or go to the range and practice with one.

originally posted by Carman83ss454
Why is my Colt Ar-15 an "Assault weapon", and my single shot .22 is not??

The Brady Bill is the accepted definition of an "assault weapon".

Bayonet lug (attachment point): If I have a rifle, why the hell do I want to get close enough to stab someone?

to add my .02...
As far as your Colt goes, how is it 'less dangerous' than my post ban Bushmaster XM-15? I never could figure it out either

The Brady Bill is not the universally accepted definition of assault weapon either. It's just a mean name the gun control advocates use to make certain firearms sound scary. An actual assault rifle is a select fire weapon firing an intermediate round. Select fire weapons (able to fire on automatic) have been strictly regulated since the '30s and it has been illegal to register new ones since around '87 or so.

And as far as the bayonet, didn't you hear about the rash of late night banzai runs on 7elevens a few years back? j/k. ;)

The brady bill is an absolute rediculous piece of scare legislation suitable only for placing in the roller next to my toilet.

I can see where you are comming from on the issue of assult rifles. To me it seems very easy to distinguish a normal gun from an assult rifle. Think, "was this gun designed to kill people?" I highly doubt that the inventer of the Tommy Gun or the AK-47 was ONLY trying to find a better way to hunt deer!!

Right now one of the best varmint rifles on the market is a 24" barrel AR-15 varient. It really dosn't matter what an object was originally designed to do, or what the inventer had in mind. I'm sure the Wright brothers didn't think "what a wonderful way to drop bombs on people" any more than the people who developed the jet engine were looking for better ways to enhance civilian aviation.

In order for the military to adopt a rifle or any other piece of equipment they put it through very rigorous testing. That means that you can be pretty sure if you buy a product like that you are getting good quality. That is one of the reasons why the Hummer is so popular.

Originally posted by 68 Stang
The first step in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come is to teach men to shoot!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmm... the exact reason for my owning an AR-15. The military will not give me an M-16 to train with at home. Ask as much as ya want, it's just not going to happen. I get 50 rounds per year to train with, under ideal weather conditions at a known distance under range coach supervision. Expecting someone to be trained for combat after that is like expecting someone to go to a drivers training course and then being able to win the Daytona 500. Many of the Seabees recalled with me for Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom had never used a weapon until thier recall. At least I know my squad gets the best possible training that I can afford.
Oh, BTW, they want to take my weapons as much as anyone elses.

Originally posted by Stage 2
Furthermore, this number does not take into account the MILLIONS, yes MILLIONS of times that firearms save lives every year, in many instances without ever having to fire a shot.

That is an FBI statistic. An average of 2m/year

Originally posted by BlownZ
If I am a law abiding citizen then me owning a gun won't matter. If I am a criminal..I am going to own the gun anyways...

So, are you saying that if they made drugs illegal then people would still be able to get them? :confused: :)
I agree, some people just don't get it.

Like I said before, I am still young and am constantly learning. You provide VERY good evidence that supports your argument. Since I first read this thread, I have been researching gun control. Interestingly, my stance on this subject is no longer as rock solid as it used to be.

I hope that you continue to research into gun control. It is easy to just believe what the loudest person is preaching, but if you dig deeper into this, researching both sides with an open mind, I am sure that you views will change even more. Of course, they might not. And that's fine too, just remember that as much as it is your right to say what you think, I also have the right to own my firearms.

Interesting... about 4 more posts since I started writing this. What a popular thread. Don't bash BOOSTD for his opinion. As he already stated he is doing more research into this topic. Why don't we instead encourage him to become more educated on it.

One last thought though... More people die every month in drunk driving accidents than from firearms in a decade. When there are laws to license a person to buy wine, or they implement a 7 day waiting period to buy a six pack, or make you register yourself if you own a bottle of Jack, or just outright ban alcohol (and it works) then I'll consider gun control. Oh, wait a miniute, they tried abolition already. It dosn't work either

P.S. I took astrology in hischool, but I can't seem to remember what planet Im NOT on? :rolleyes:

If you took astronomy you would know what planet you are on...if you studied astrology then that is a bit different. I am not trying to bash anyone so I'm done. To each their own.

Here's my 2 cents...

However, I don't see the need for anyone to own an AK-47, AR-15, M-1, 50 cal sniper rifle, or any other assult rifle.

well, i am the same age as you... so maybe my views are just as limited as yours are... but have you ever shot an AK-47, AR-15, M1 or a .50 cal sniper rifle?

i have (well not the .50 cal, but i sure as hell would like to try..) and i think it is fun as hell... dont know how to explain it, but its fun... i am looking at purchasing my first M1 Garand and some time in the future a M1A1 Thompson SMG... why do i want these? well to me its kinda like owning a peice of history.. you are right, the Thompson is not good for hunting, but its what i want.

just my two cents, but dont worry, i probably wont have my thompson any time soon...

this is why..

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976365367.htm

i'll have one one day...

-Neil

I'm sure the Wright brothers didn't think "what a wonderful way to drop bombs on people"
LMAO:D Don't know why, but that hit me just right.
Thanks for your support

I know what astrology is, I was being sarcastic.

Vender- maybe thats the reason why Im for gun control. I've only shot .22's and 12 gauges. Well...one time I shot a mini 14. I think thats what its called. So, my experience with guns is somewhat limited. WOW, 14g's! You could get a kick @$$ GN for that money!

After seeing the documentary "Bowling for Columbine," I would like to ask this question; not because I am being argumetative but because I am truely perplexed by this fact...

-There are 10million resedents in Canada
-There are 7 million guns in Canada
-Canada has very fiew murders annually and very little violence involving guns.

So...Why does Canada have so little trouble with guns?
Laws?
Society?
Education?

BOOSTD