Fitting TA race headers

LIL6cyl

Hey all, Quick question fitting TA race headers. I’m setting up everything on the engine stand to try to alleviate any figment issues with the cross over pipe during final install.
I’ve read a few different suggestions, but nothing concrete. What is the best way to mock them up? Leave headers loose install crossover then tighten? I have everything assembled finger tight, tapped the crossover with rubber mallet to relieve any binding. Should I tighten the headers tap the cross over and weld the connection? I see there is a place to run a bolt or spring in the crossover.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I put mine on engine in the car. I put each side on & kept bolts loosish(threaded a bit but still allowing for movement).

I then connected the V-Band clamps(again not tight) to one side of crossover. Slid crossover just a touch into DS header “slot”. Then connected DS crossover to V-Band.

Then I slowly tightened some of the header hardware to make sure they seated on the gaskets. This allowed me to make sure that the crossover, headers, & V-Bands seated correctly.

The race headers have the “slot” that seals it when it heats up so no clamp needed.

P.S. make sure to use two studs on the DS front header holes. This will allow you to connect your A/C brackets if you still have it. Run a few cycles & re-tighten hardware.

I’ve never had any issues installing the crossover on headers that are already tightened up.

Put the headers on the motor and tighten them up. Leave the crossover off until the motor is in the car and hooked up to the transmission. Get the converter cover back on too.

The crossover is easily put back on under the car.

Put the headers on the motor and tighten them up. Leave the crossover off until the motor is in the car and hooked up to the transmission. Get the converter cover back on too.

The crossover is easily put back on under the car.
this^^^^^

Reggie, why install the convertor cover? Leaving it off helps cool the trans. As a matter of fact some GM convertors had fins and a tin shroud to cool the trans oil!
TIMINATOR

Reggie, why install the convertor cover? Leaving it off helps cool the trans. As a matter of fact some GM convertors had fins and a tin shroud to cool the trans oil!
TIMINATOR
Yeah I wasn’t going to put the cover in! ;)

That was for Reggies benefit.
I live in AZ so no one here runs the cover, but I sold a car that went to NY and a week later (winter time for them) he called an called me everything he could think of because the motor locked up while he was at work. Apparently if you plow thru the snowy parking lot and park in deep snow, the melted snow packed around the convertor and it ice locked it up! It cost him a tow! The guy did call and apologize when the shop put it up on the rack and saw the ice! The shop guy thought it was the starter before he saw that...
I guess back East/ north guys might need the cover! In AZ we need the cooling...
TIMINATOR

That was for Reggies benefit.
I live in AZ so no one here runs the cover, but I sold a car that went to NY and a week later (winter time for them) he called an called me everything he could think of because the motor locked up while he was at work. Apparently if you plow thru the snowy parking lot and park in deep snow, the melted snow packed around the convertor and it ice locked it up! It cost him a tow! The guy did call and apologize when the shop put it up on the rack and saw the ice! The shop guy thought it was the starter before he saw that...
I guess back East/ north guys might need the cover! In AZ we need the cooling...
TIMINATOR
Ha that’s funny! I’ve used a Beretta as a snow plow, but never a TR….

Apparently if you plow thru the snowy parking lot and park in deep snow, the melted snow packed around the convertor and it ice locked it up!
That usually results in snow packing in the wheels then the next time out the car starts shaking from the wheels being unbalanced . Ask me how I know !!

TIMINATOR
Its not necessary but it might keep the converter from getting damaged running over something on the road. I have seen the trans take the hit for road debris.

Besides how else are you going to mount up the drip lip thingy to keep the rear main from leaking??

No cover on anything I own that is raced and driven on the street.
And I am in the northeast

Reg, the convertor is much higher than the pan. If you could hit the convertor, you would rip everything off at the pan rail!
You gotta be careful listening to Mr. Spool, his shit is so fast its gone before the snow hits the ground! LOL!
TIMINATOR

Before installing the race headers, look up inside the passenger side header from the turbo inlet. You're gonna need a die grinder with a 6" bit, preferably a grinding wheel to clean up where #2 tube comes into the main pipe, and to grind off the O2 sensor and wideband bungs that hang into the pipe too. You bought the headers for the flow, why not get all of it possible.
I'm just anal, I don't install anything before inspection, modification and detail. My obsession started early in my racing career when I was beaten by inches, and I stayed awake for a few nights wondering if I would have won if I did all of the little things that I didn't think would make enough difference to bother with when I noticed them. Or mebbie I wouldn't have made it to the race anyway 'cause I was too busy obsessing.....
TIMINATOR stressed and obsessed....