fitech and 6-btm

jimski

In over my head
Hello everyone.....I am tired of qaudrajets stock junk computers, was thinking 6-btm and a 400hp fitech setup. I think these two items are all i need to keep it simple. No more check engine lights for spark control fails and poor fuel mileage from the qaudrajet. Its gonna cost me money but i think its bringing the drawthru into the future.

let me know what u guys think.

I did a good amount of research on this type of EFI set up.
And Holley was the one with the best results and customer service

You planning on integrating any type on knock sensor with your new system? It opens up an additional can of worms, but it is strongly advised to have something.

You planning on integrating any type on knock sensor with your new system? It opens up an additional can of worms, but it is strongly advised to have something.
Good ideal !

Last edited:
I'm looking into a throttle body EFI system.

I've have a 6-BTM and don't recommend it. A good EFI system with laptop control should let you control the timing and make the BTM unnecessary.

I'm looking into a throttle body EFI system.

I've have a 6-BTM and don't recommend it. A good EFI system with laptop control should let you control the timing and make the BTM unnecessary.
Just curious why is there no recommendation for the 6-btm

It would be useless with an aftermarket EFI system that lets you control timing. Want less timing at boost - then back off the timing in the EFI tables. I don't know about the fitech, but if it doesn't let you control timing based on rpm and engine load (MAF or MAP), then you may want to look at another set up.

Without EFI, it still doesn't do much. It's dial is set up to pull up to 3 degree per psi of boost. If you running 15+ psi, i hard to pull just a few degrees. I'd say go without it and get it only when you know you need it. I bet you'll find you're better off with less boost and more timing than vice versa.

The whole esc system went down. Tore the whole harness apart trying to find the failure. Replaced computer and all the components related to the system esc, knock sensor u name it.basically I had to buy the 6-btm to manage timing as I had nothing.

Running the 6-btm for a few days now and running perfect. Any thoughts.

The base Fitech doesn't have timing control but the upper level ones do. That would be the better route.

The base Fitech doesn't have timing control but the upper level ones do. That would be the better route.
I figure I'll use 6-btm and just go with lower fitech. Turning a dial is easier to adjust timing retard than messing with laptops

It's not that hard. It's just chart with rpm and vac/ boost.
ScreenshotofSparkTable_zpse0687fa6.png

Find you a stock timing map and use those #'s as a reference. My friend has Megasquirt ECU on his 91 turbo Stang and we built the ign map using a stock map and built off that.

Those BTM's can be a pain. I would peel the numbers off the knob as they rarely line up in the correct position. Plus you still have to have something else controlling the advance functions. If you want to be accurate you need to use regulated shop air to approximate how much boost you are running. You will need to have someone else assist (one person to apply the air to the sensor port on the BTM and one to operate the timing light to see if you are getting the proper amount of retard). I mount the knob in the engine compartment so no one messes with it. Trust me that is a problem! Personally I prefer a load based programmable ignitions system as pictured above. Even MSD has a 6AL2 box (pn# 6530) that provides a load based programmable system. Load based systems eliminate a lot of variables such as the need for a BTM or mechanical centrifugal advance and vacuum advance canisters. All functions such as crank, base/idle, part throttle, wide open throttle etc are done in the box. If you pick an EFI system that has the programmable ignition integrated you also get the additional benefits of timing adjustments based on temperature and possible knock sensing.

FiTech has a unit that is made just for boosted applications. It will adjust fuel pressure and timing based on boost pressure and is, for the most part, self learning once you have the initial setup complete. It's not expensive either, and handles up to 600 hp. That being said, I've heard some negative things about customer service with them, and so it might not be the best choice for an uncommon application.

Reviving an old thread... Looking for info/tech help w/ a 600HP Fitech on a customers car.
I recall seeing a recent thrad, but the search is showing no new hits.
AIRC, someone on here is involved w/ this system. Who might that be?

TIA,

I have info on: Fitech, Holly sniper and retrotek.
What data are you requesting?

I am looking for some info on the initial set up.
We can find no info on the various screens, numbers on the sides of the various set up items, descriptions of such.
I know there are some basic "tunes" in the handheld, but don't see the descriptions of what's in them, or how to retrieve them.

The app is a 347 Ford, in a street rod.
Customer supplied the system, complete w/ pump, filters, etc, and put it in the car.
One of the items is the fuel pump control. We know there's an issue w/ that being setup wrong. PWM settings?
Fuel psi is 60.
I understand that we can link the hand held to a laptop. Y/N?
Looking on their website, we find no software to d/l. We'd like to be able to view this on a much larger format.
Any help is appreciated. My email addy is codymspt@bellsouth.net, in case you may have some info I can download.

TIA,
On a side note...
I see you are a Corvair guy!
I was a Chevy field engineer when Ralphie Nader tried to undo the Vair. I was on a massive attack "team", ay GO, that went after him, big time! One of my "company cars" was a turbo Vair! Wish I still had my notes on our team's efforts.:cool:

Your car should not get bad mileage.mine gets mid to high 20s on the hiway.throw away quadrant run a holley

I am looking for some info on the initial set up.
We can find no info on the various screens, numbers on the sides of the various set up items, descriptions of such.
I know there are some basic "tunes" in the handheld, but don't see the descriptions of what's in them, or how to retrieve them.

The app is a 347 Ford, in a street rod.
Customer supplied the system, complete w/ pump, filters, etc, and put it in the car.
One of the items is the fuel pump control. We know there's an issue w/ that being setup wrong. PWM settings?
Fuel psi is 60.
I understand that we can link the hand held to a laptop. Y/N?
Looking on their website, we find no software to d/l. We'd like to be able to view this on a much larger format.
Any help is appreciated. My email addy is codymspt@bellsouth.net, in case you may have some info I can download.

TIA,
On a side note...
I see you are a Corvair guy!
I was a Chevy field engineer when Ralphie Nader tried to undo the Vair. I was on a massive attack "team", ay GO, that went after him, big time! One of my "company cars" was a turbo Vair! Wish I still had my notes on our team's efforts.:cool:
Sent a pM