First track runs with turbo 3800 Fiero

SlowFiero

Wanted to thank everyone here for all the information and help I have gained. I don't think my car would be where it is now without this board.

Setup consists of:

2001 L36 from a Buick regal with 130000km (80000 mi)
installed 130lb PAC springs, ZZP modified steel retainers, comp retainers, 3/8 pushrods
replaced rod bolts with ARP
Stattama ST1 cam (206/206 0.512 lift) double roller timing chain
L26 aluminum intake with Northstar Throttle body & HV3 insert
SFI balancer
Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors (approx 108 lb/hr)
Other than that it is a stock L36, heads have never been off.

ZZP Stainless "Powerlog" for front manifold, stock wrapped crossover, ZZP ported rear manifold
Built a adapter from the stock manifold outlet to the T3 turbine flange, with a smooth transition exit for the Precision 46mm wastegate running a 9lb spring

Transmission is a 2002 4T65E (non HD) from a Venture van, ZZP 300M input shaft, chromoly pump shaft, Triple Edge Perfomance 2.93 single chain gear set and clutch packs, 3rd gear is a Z-pack. ZZP 3250 stall converter.

Turbo is a Precision billet 6262SP in a T3 0.63 housing, 3 inch stainless exhaust into dynomax muffler and out (total of about 2 feet including muffler)
Turbo feeds Precision PT1001 air to water intercooler, fed by Meziere 20GPM water pump from a Canton Aluminum reservoir (replaces battery on Cobra Mustangs), coolant is routed from intercooler to Fluidyne Cobra Heat exchanger and then returns to the tank.
Car runs on 235/60r15 M/T drag radials, and weighs 3135lbs with driver.
This setup is far more drivable than my old M90 setup, it idles smoothly at stoich (id1000 injectors are awesome), no surging ever, just all around nicer to drive.

Started out running on the wastegate only, about 10lbs, first run was an idle launch, no brake boosting at all. Hit gas on 3rd yellow, 1.986 60’ and ran 12.01 @ 118.56 mph, a new best MPH.

Next run brought it up to 3lbs before launch and ran 1.751 60’ and 11.796 @ 117.37 MPH.

Turned on the ISAC boost controller, set to 13.5lbs (as I have been street driving it), forgot to let off of Bailey 2 step until 20-30 feet out, ran a 2.013 60’ and 11.364 at 126.38 MPH, a new best ET, and MPH.

Next run broke a CV joint.

Saturday morning got another CV, and a boot kit to fix my other good CV. Installed the new CV.

Again running street trim, 13.5lbs ran a 1.535 60’ (new best), and 10.622 @ 128.69mph both new bests.

Next run the new CV broke.

Installed my last CV, it has been in my car for 7 years, no failures, other than the clamp coming off on Thursday night. I had greased and re-clamped the inner that morning, and was hoping it would be good to go.

Set the boost controller to ramp the boost in over 1 second, and to run 15.5lbs boost, iced the intercooler, and staged. Ran a 1.640 60’, and 10.600 @ 131.48MPH. Boost came in a little too slow, but definitely more power on the top end, was eliminated from the race I was entered in on that run.

First test and tune run, set the boost controller to bring the boost in over 0.75 seconds and slightly more aggressive at the end of the ramp. Also set to run 18 lbs. 60’ was a 1.543, 10.307 @ 134.44 MPH, I was in shock, I was only hoping for a high 10 and maybe 130 MPH for the day.

Got setup for another run, iced the intercooler, set the boost for 19lbs, and made the boost ramp rate slightly more aggressive. Staged, brought the engine up on the 2 step, waited for 7lbs and launched. Car spun slightly then took off, ran a 1.499 60’, 6.594 @ 106.12 in the 1/8th and 10.263 @ 134.44MPH.
All in all, an awesome weekend, I am absolutely blown away by the performance of the car, after years of fighting the M90 setup for a tenth or two, being able to knock over a full second off of my previous best was amazing. I should have gone turbo back in 2004, when I first started looking at this board and seeing how well the cars run. And to top it off, drove it into the trailer and will be able to drive it to work tomorrow in high 10 second trim.

Video a friend shot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxDI4ceMiZQ
Big thanks to Dave at Triple Edge Performance – without him my trans would not shift as well or put up with the power I put through it.

That's very impressive! Is there some other strong CV joints from some other vehicle that can be adapted?

Thanks!

There is lots of steel under all that plastic and fiberglass :)

I have also added bigger brakes and a roll bar. The only weight reduction I have done is the spare and jack, it doesn't fit over the brakes anyway. But raced it the way I drive it around.

I think with a bit more time and another couple of passes, might have squeaked a 9.9x out of it, but I will probably wait to go to a different track for that, don't want to be kicked off this one, it's 1.5 hrs away, and the next closest is 5hrs.

9 seconds on 235's is pretty crazy. Why the narrow tire? Fitment, that's all you need, sleeper status?

I was going to run 255/60, but the 3.29 gears didn't last, might try 255/50r15 on next set, but this is what has been on my car for years. Think I'm on my 3rd set.

Was kind of thinking the same thing, but I'm sure I'm not really pushing this too much. Drive around on the street with the 13.5 psi setting, and spool up is about perfect. Only track it a couple of times a year, nice knowing the power is there though :)

Uploaded another video of the run, my wife filmed this one.

Looking at the data logs, 10.5-11.0 AFR, 28% converter slip in 3rd gear at the traps.

Thanks!

Had some settings wrong, so TC slip was actually only around 20%. Hoping to go to another track(airstrip) that isn't so tight on the rules at the beginning of August, hopefully with the changes to the tune/shifting I've made, it might run into the 9s.