First time what to purchase

PNYKLR

Oh guys gals long story short I have never fired a gun,rifle shotgun etc...

I have recently applied for my pistol permit but I anticipate it will take a while to get an answer (I figure about a year )

In the meantime I figured I could purchase a rifle or shotgun see how that works out.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like I am just learning to drive 24 years ago

And before you drove you learned a little about them then took a class and then you practiced driving before you bought a car of your own..

So at least look for a range that rents weapons and gives a little training or take someone well versed in weapons training to assist you. If you are contemplating CC you and those around you want you to be confident and competent. I wouldn't purchase anything until I got a feel for what is right for you and your needs.

Remington 870 for a reliable pump shotgun. Handgun for the money the best bang for your buck springfield xd 9mm is very user friendly. Comes in many diff sizes. Around 450-500 for a super reliable handgun.just my 2 cents.

My county doesn't require a class but I will start doing some homework. Thanks for the help :)

What are you looking for ? Any ideas? Does any particular gun have your interest? Old guns? New guns? Semi auto? Lever action? Bolt action? There are many types of guns. I suggest don't buy anything !!! Go into lots of gun stores and just look !!!! See what catches your interest then go home look at videos on YouTube and look at owners reviews on google. Then go on gunbroker.com and see what you should expect to pay before you buy. Try to do private deals

I have recently applied for my pistol permit but I anticipate it will take a while to get an answer (I figure about a year )

In the meantime I figured I could purchase a rifle or shotgun see how that works out.

i am in the same exact boat.

I am going to join a range in the Poconos and start trying things out until i get past this NY BS.
I am also going to sign up for just about every safety class available.
I don't see my self getting a CC permit in LI but i am still going to take every available class in that department.

Since you're in New Yuk the don't expect to get much. Move further south and make some friends and most of the time they'll be more than happy to open up their arsonals (sp) so you can experince some firepower an have some fun. As long as you supply the ammo most of them will be willing to let you "blow off some steam". ;)

Texas seems like the place the place to be if you like guns from what I'm seeing all over the news. I have lived in CT most of my life and we have tons of gun manufacturers here my whole life . In my lifetime colt, mossberg, marlin, Winchester,Remington, stag arms, ruger,high standard , and there was at least 1 other small manufacturer here . Well last night was the first time I ever remember seeing a commercial for a gun manufacturer . Stag arms in new Britain was saying they have 200 employees and several other vendors in this state which means a couple thousand jobs in total. Long and short of it was they made it sound like leave us alone or we might move and take the jobs with us!!!! The other gun manufacturers also in a newspaper said Texas, Oklahoma and a few other states offered to pay their moving expenses to move!!! I know magpul in Colorado said if things got passed there they would move and looks like laws are getting passed there.

A little ol' .44 S & W with a 6.5" barrel would be a nice little gun to "use.":rolleyes: As long as you aren't afraid of sonic booms, ground shaking, and have strong bones in your shooting hand, you'd like it.....easy to conceal:rolleyes:, just a fun little gun.....go out and try one.......and take lots of aspirins...complaints from neighbors optional. I've only got one complaint from a neighbor of mine two counties over....:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

The best to do is talk to your friends. Have them bring there toys out and let you shoot them. Renting from a gun store with a range works well too. If you can test drive a car then test drive a gun. Thers guns you will like, and buy, then shoot them, and well you find out that it just was not what you wanted.(been there) Spend the rental money it will save you more in the long run. Ask guys that you work with as well.

H&K for handgun.
FN for rifle (if you could find one)

And like Bruce said 629 .44 Magnum all the way.

If you want lots of bang for the buck, the Russian Mosin Nagant Rifles (M44s and 91/30s) are hard to beat right now, rugged, reliable, and very powerful with the 7.62x54r round. They are still cheap, but not a cheap as they were a few years ago when they were $80! Its addicting, kinda like SKS's!

Go to a range and test and see what feels right and works well.

Then do what I did, buy 1 of everything, hey it works

Seriously though, find yourself a gun Buddie. Someone you feel comfortable with and whos has some experience.

The go to a range that lets you rent different firearms and test a few. Find something that you like.

For some basics in weapons systems her are a few.

Shotgun, point shoot in the general direction. If it does not get them they usually are not willing to come back for round 2.
These com in manual, usually pump action or semi auto. Pumps are cheap, ammo to shoot is cheap and they make great all around home defense.

Revolvers, usually dead nuts reliable. Shoot anywhere anytime. The best calibers for carry in my opinion is a 357 magnum. You can use 38 special, +P or magnum ammo
the 357 is a proven man and animal stopper. I carry one when ever I am out on the trail.

The semi auto handgun comes in huge variety of makes models and calibers. That discussion could go on for almost ever. The thing to know is that a semi auto has more moving parts and is more susceptible to failures

No matter what you look at get training, more training and keep training. During the summer my wife and I shoot 2 to 3 weekends a month when we are not racing.

Practice makes better and this is no exception.

If you are in my area let me know.

Well what the guy told you is right, If you don't understand the gun you will hurt your self or someone else or worse and the gun will be usless to you, What will the gun be used for, Meet people and talk about and look at guns but DON"T even touch one till you are trained, I am from the south and started hunting and shooting in grade school but when I went in the army we didn't shoot a gun till we could field strip it in the dark in a set time, I am a combat veteran, There is just to much to read about what is best for you

great feedback Double-L , you must train with your weapon, any firearm can be effective as long as you train, don't buy one then just have it in your drawer. you and your woman both need to
learn how to use the firearm effectively, you might not always be nearest to the weapon, or you might even be in a struggle? I know it sounds far fetch, but it happens more than you think
I train with my weapons once a month, ( I have to, I do security for DHS) but once a month is good , you don't have to spend tons on ammo, 100-150 rounds keeps you sharp,
that's 150 rounds that can teach you, look for shot placement, don't just load the mag and shoot, ( spray and pray ) shoot 3-4 rounds see where they land, mark them and repeat
until you get centered. sorry I baffle a lot ( love to train ) as far as a firearm it all depends on your budget , great suggestions on here HK-SIG-S&W all good firearms. ruger has a
SR9C for about $399 good firearm decent price, 2 mags 10rd and a 17rd. yes it's a 9mm. 9mm is what we carry, a 9mm with 127+p+ or 147 grain is very effective.
good luck , whatever you decide on, train with that weapon.

PNYKLR said:

Get lots of range time before carrying. Try starting out with the classic 10/22

Pistol grip 12 gauge pump for home defense.

Buy the pistol that when you pick it up and it fits your hand and feels right. Then runs some rounds through it.

All the top names are good. Go with a 9mm or 40 cal to start.

I am going to check out the local store next weekend that was recommended on the NY firearms board see how it goes and I will report back