first time out. 12.5 @ 111 on street tires.

HouTX87

The weather in Houston was too nice last night. It was too tempting to take the car out to the track and see how she would run even though I don't have drag radials yet. I only made 2 passes. First pass I stalled it up a little but did not get into boost and rolled into the throttle still spinning before I could get my foot to the floor 12.5 @ 111. Second pass I got into it a little harder and it seemed to hook, then wheel spin like crazy, had to let up completely, and came out with a 12.9 @ 110. All in all im very happy with a 12.5 on street tires, first time out with no seat time. Hoping for some 11's soon with some tires, tuning and seat time. My TT alky chip is on default settings, alky gain set at 6, 22-23 psi, no knock.

apparently the 1/8 mph clock was broken in the left lane. it shows 27 mph.
IMG_20130201_185856.jpg

A set of DR's and your in the 11's with no tuning. Very nice. Congrats

Thanks. I wish I would've unbolted the front sway bar but I didn't think about it until I was already there and I didn't bring any tools. I've gotten my powerlogger installed but haven't logged any runs yet because I always seem to be fixing something. I'll try to post some logs soon and see if you guys can help me find some room for improvement. I'd like to see some more mph at the end of the track next time.

'87 GN 52k miles. G80, Alky Control, Scanmaster, Powerlogger, Gauges - Boost, FP, Knock, Coolant temp, Oil pressure, Caspers knock alarm. TA stock replacement headers, TA60, Cotton's stretch slic, TT 5.7 alky chip/42# inj combo, Accufab AFPR, Walbro 340/Racetronix hotwire, Comp 980 valve springs, 160 t-stat, Alradco, TRcustom parts dual spal fans/turbo protector, B&M trans cooler, Century trans 9.5" 3200 billet lockup/shift kit, RJC power plate/ boost controller, Kirbans 3.5" cold air/rear seat brace/front frame brace, 3" THDP w/dump, GN1 dual 3" exhaust, HRparts poly motor mounts, Gbodyparts Vac. brake conversion, Eibach pro kit springs, dual rear air bags, rear control arms, Hotchkis rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks, 16x8 Torq Thrust D's.

Get some Mickeys launch with some boost and high 11's is doable on default settings!!! You have some good mods there so some tuning will yield even better results!!

Get some Mickeys launch with some boost and high 11's is doable on default settings!!! You have some good mods there so some tuning will yield even better results!!

Sweet! I'm hoping to get back out there friday with some drag radials. Anyway this time I'm planning to remove the front sway bar, launch with some boost and lock the tcc using the paperclip trick (Did not lock the tcc last time. Just read about this trick the other day). Boost is set at 23 right now. I'm tempted to turn it up to 25 but afraid to push it too far. The chip is burned for 23-25. I hope my mph will improve also with a stronger launch? I forgot to mention that the car weighed 3715 with me and a half tank.

I remember using that paper clip trick with my 86GN back in the early 90's......Use that power logger to log your runs that should tell you if you can bump up a pound or two of boost or itleast what you'll need to do to go up safely......Also having the 1/8 mile clock working will tell you how much your picking up at the top of the track...Good Luck!!!

Good point. I'll have to remember to bring the laptop and record my runs. I will keep you guys updated.

On second thought I think I'll hook up a switch to lock the tcc manually after it shifts into third. I did a search and allowing it to lock in 2nd with the paper clip might be too rough on my transmission.

Thanks. I wish I would've unbolted the front sway bar but I didn't think about it until I was already there and I didn't bring any tools. I've gotten my powerlogger installed but haven't logged any runs yet because I always seem to be fixing something. I'll try to post some logs soon and see if you guys can help me find some room for improvement. I'd like to see some more mph at the end of the track next time.

I get 1.6x and even a handful of 1.5x 60's with the front swaybar still connected. I personally don't think it's necessary when you are still @ a 2.0x 60'. Are you watching air/fuel ratio? I picked up 40rwhp and almost 100 lb/ft torque just leaning my car out. At those boost levels, I'd be looking for a bit more mph and afr might get you there without any more boost. Sticky tires alone will get you into the 11's but try for your best launch with swaybar in and THEN disconnect it to see if you can best your 60'.

Good call on locking your TC in 3rd with a switch. Even at 111mph power, it's hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd with TC locked. Not sure how your TC works, but I LOVE hitting the lockup switch in 3rd; it's almost like hitting a nitrous shot on the top end.

O2's on the scanmaster are 780's in 3rd. I will log my runs with the powerlogger and post them for review before I make any adjustments. I don't have a wideband yet, still on my wishlist. The 2.0 60ft was peddling it on street tires and still spinning. I'll try running with the sway bar attached first like you recommended, I know it would probably be foolish to change too many things at once and wonder what worked or didn't work? I'm definitely hoping for more mph. My torque converter is a multidisc lockup, trans is healthy but stock with a shift kit and additional external cooler. I know the trans is a weak link. we4Mateo, I found most of the tcc switch info in one of your threads. Looks like you had been having trouble finding answers. Glad the info was easy for me to find.

Oh I understand what you meant. That unbolting the sway bar wouldn't have helped on street tires because my 60' was so bad anyway. I think you're right.

HouTX87 said:
Oh I understand what you meant. That unbolting the sway bar wouldn't have helped on street tires because my 60' was so bad anyway. I think you're right.

I run mt drag radials but leave my swaybar attached; maybe the bushings are bad and it works loose anyway but I've always had good 60s even with it in. I just so it bc I want a true street approach. I suppose the dr's make it not street but that's the only thing I change besides oil when I go to the track. You should be fine locking your tc especially with it being multi disc. At your power level though, I think a trans build may be in your future. Best of luck! Keep us posted.

I didn't quite get there. 12.12 @ 112.8 first pass. Tried to launch in boost but the car would push (stock rear brakes). I put bfg 255/50-16 dr's on it thinking they should be a little more street friendly since I drive the car regularly. I'll probably get the MT's next time. They spun a little and the launches felt good but I am still disappointed with the 60'. Only made two passes because I don't want to beat on the transmission too hard. I also ran out of the house and forgot to bring the laptop. The o2's were right around 790 in 3rd gear, is this a little rich with alky/pump gas? This week I'm going to look into getting a wideband so I can start tuning. LS1 maf is also on my list. Sorry the image is blurry.

2_8_13.jpg

r/t .128
60' 1.848
330 5.056
1/8 7.776
mph 90.37
1000 10.133
et 12.127
mph 112.83

Your getting closer!! Ya those Mickeys will work best....Are you heating the tires up good in the burn out box?? Your going to have to get a pair of s-10 wheel cylinders that will keep the wheels still while you build boost!! Stay with it!!

Your getting closer!! Ya those Mickeys will work best....Are you heating the tires up good in the burn out box?? Your going to have to get a pair of s-10 wheel cylinders that will keep the wheels still while you build boost!! Stay with it!!

I heated the tires up but maybe I should've done a little longer burnout. Before I go back I'll have to get the s10 wheel cylinders and work on the tune. Plan to get the lc1 wideband, ls1 maf and translator in the next few weeks.

I drove it in D, should I have run it in OD? At what speed would it make the 3-4 shift? 3rd gear was screaming by the end of the track and I don't have a tach.