First time building a GN motor.... Need help

ThatTurboKid

Hey guy I need some help in here with building my motor. I have never built a GN motor only v8s. I have found some upgrades when I pulled the motor apart. It has a Comp cam, looked to be ported stock heads. Done by parrot? I found out the cam is 10 years old and same with springs.It has 60lb injectors. I have a Percision intercooler with a precision turbo. The TT chip said on the back 25+psi. Any recommendations on a new cam, springs, heads or possibly a bottom end? The car is a street car just looking to make it fun and reliable. I have never had this motor running. But it was running before I bought it with all these parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 340
Allocate the funds to go with a roller cam (and matching springs). Flat tappets just aren't worth the risk.

What was the reason for tearing the engine apart?

The cam was wiped out. and the one head gasket was blown apart. And wanted to check the bearings because don't want to have to pull the motor apart again.
Allocate the funds to go with a roller cam (and matching springs). Flat tappets just aren't worth the risk.

What was the reason for tearing the engine apart?

With a wiped cam, you have to pull it all the way down to the block, remove all galley plugs and clean the hell out of the block. Make sure to toss any and all oil coolers to keep from having a repeat failure.

With a wiped cam, you have to pull it all the way down to the block, remove all galley plugs and clean the hell out of the block. Make sure to toss any and all oil coolers to keep from having a repeat failure.
Thanks for all the info. I already pulled it all the way down to the bare block. I am having a machine shop check everything and clean up the block. I am having janis transmission do the trans over here in Akron Ohio.

Well you are off to a good start. I agree w/earl, or go all roller if it's affordable. You will have more reliability along w/an increase in options for cam choice. Not familiar w/parrot, but a ported set of stockers will go a long way for performance and reliability a well.

Another thing to do would be to see if you can find anyone that knows how to mod the front cover for improved oil flow. There used to be a DIY write up from a guy named earl around...some searching may yield that. I built my last motor a little looser than some (around .023/.023 if I remember correctly) with a cleaned up front cover, TA cam bearings, comp roller cam, and I opened up the bearings to match the oil passages. That engine still has solid oil pressure with 0w-20 oil.

Be diligent on machine work. There's very good technical threads on here about what tolerances you're looking for on every part of the engine. I have 2 thousands of an inch main and rod bearing tolerances, an Earl Brown front cover, 3/4 groove main bearings and run 20w 50 vr1. Oil pressure hot at idle in gear is 23-25 psi. Driving it's always around 60psi or higher. DEFINITELY replace the oil cooler, my car had a wiped cam and a smoked turbo I found metal everywhere!

Swap to some thinner oil Mark. You're just making extra heat and loading the timing set and front cam bearing unnecessarily.

Swap to some thinner oil Mark. You're just making extra heat and loading the timing set and front cam bearing unnecessarily.

Not to mention giving up cooling of your bearings by virtue of reduced volume of oil being moved across them.

Another thing to do would be to see if you can find anyone that knows how to mod the front cover for improved oil flow. There used to be a DIY write up from a guy named earl around...some searching may yield that. I built my last motor a little looser than some (around .023/.023 if I remember correctly) with a cleaned up front cover, TA cam bearings, comp roller cam, and I opened up the bearings to match the oil passages. That engine still has solid oil pressure with 0w-20 oil.
You mean ummm Earl Brown as in the Earl Brown thats already commenting on this very post lol!!!!!!

Definitely go for roller cam! Weber has a roller cam kit for 750 dollars and front cover ported with a pressure release don't remember it's costs though. Also if ya have money for it billet mains help with that although not nessacarially a have too but yeah!