first time at the track with the GN

Found a couple pics someone took. The rear squat is painfully evident with the 2" A-body drop springs. Air bags are definitely needed.
its not the squating in the rear thats the problem its how it unloads,that has to be controlled,and sometimes its controlled by giving it more power /sometimes less. traction needs to be controlled by the suspension thats shocks and springs in the front and rear.the front needs to come up fast and go down slow to keep the weight on the back tires longer while you gain wheel speed.a slick car and a radial car needs a different approach.something needs to take the hit tire and suspension,more sidewall can be your friend here,but progressive control over the cars suspension will get you that 60/330

How wrong was I in expecting a tire(275/45/16) to perform the same on the track as they do on the street? Seems there is no one size fits all...if there is, I sure haven't found it.

Ive had the best results with 275/60 Mt pro's with 18 psi of air in the tires and with airbags 15# in left bag 30# in right
Find 2 15x8 welds and buy these tires just for the track, they dont last long on street driving.

How wrong was I in expecting a tire(275/45/16) to perform the same on the track as they do on the street? Seems there is no one size fits all...if there is, I sure haven't found it.
Drag radials wont perform exact,in reality no tire does.i have touched on things that make a difference above.others have also brought up going with a 15 inch rim,and putting more sidewall in,this a good idea.

That 45/16 sidewall isn't helping you hook . Look closely at my sidewall after a run at BG . 1.45 - 60' . 275/60-15

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 130
That 45/16 sidewall isn't helping you hook . Look closely at my sidewall after a run at

That 45/16 sidewall isn't helping you hook . Look closely at my sidewall after a run at BG . 1.45 - 60' . 275/60-15

Wow! So I guess this is why top fuel uses tires with so much sidewall huh? Never thought about the contact patch being elongated...just thought width was the only factor.

Yes, that's one reason I'm not such a fan of 275/50s. They don't flatten out as much even though they are wide.

Just want to make sure this is the tire everyone is talking about before I get a pair. 275/60/15
Planning to go with 15x8 wheels with 4.5BS. Good idea?
Already got the air bags.
mtt-3754x_xl.jpg

Just want to make sure this is the tire everyone is talking about before I get a pair. 275/60/15
mtt-3754x_xl.jpg
That is a very good tire but on a 15x8 4.5" backspace you probably need spacers to keep the tire from rubbing the frame. If you do need spacers, get longer studs as well.

mtt-3754x_xl.jpg
thats the pro,the r tire in the same size can be driven legally on the road.if you just want it for the track then get the pro

thats the pro,the r tire in the same size can be driven legally on the road.if you just want it for the track then get the pro

This is the R, correct? They only time I'd drive on these is to/from the track. If I changed the tires at the track, I'd have nowhere to store the tires while I run the car as I go by myself.

s-l1600.jpg

That is a very good tire but on a 15x8 4.5" backspace you probably need spacers to keep the tire from rubbing the frame. If you do need spacers, get longer studs as well.

Yep, I have 12mm spacers with longer studs. With the GTAs on a Ford 9", the 275s are pretty close to the frame, but do fit with enough room. Someone also clearanced the frame on the passengers side where the rear end of the tire came close.

Also...something I've been thinking about is the HP the car is making. From all I'm reading here, 500RWHP as needed to crack into the 10s, and if this car is capable of a mid-low 11, wouldn't that mean that it's dangerously close to the limits of the stock bottom end(525ish at the flywheel)? I don't want to blow this thing up and really really don't want to blow it up at the track and have a possible oil down. Any thoughts about this?

Yep, I have 12mm spacers with longer studs. With the GTAs on a Ford 9", the 275s are pretty close to the frame, but do fit with enough room. Someone also clearanced the frame on the passengers side where the rear end of the tire came close.
You might be ok then. If you do decide on the MT Pro’s I believe their sidewall to sidewall (section width) measurement might be slightly wider than other 275’s of the same size, if I correctly recall my research before I bought my set. So if you were close to the frame before, something to keep an eye on. Might be one of those situations where you just have to get them on the car and see what’s what.

This is the R, correct? They only time I'd drive on these is to/from the track. If I changed the tires at the track, I'd have nowhere to store the tires while I run the car as I go by myself.

s-l1600.jpg
Yes they drive nice!drive them to the track air them down and let it rip.

Also...something I've been thinking about is the HP the car is making. From all I'm reading here, 500RWHP as needed to crack into the 10s, and if this car is capable of a mid-low 11, wouldn't that mean that it's dangerously close to the limits of the stock bottom end(525ish at the flywheel)? I don't want to blow this thing up and really really don't want to blow it up at the track and have a possible oil down. Any thoughts about this?
Your not near where your going to hurt on the stock bottom end.driving to the track and running 10s and 11s with the right tune can be done.

You might be ok then. If you do decide on the MT Pro’s I believe their sidewall to sidewall (section width) measurement might be slightly wider than other 275’s of the same size, if I correctly recall my research before I bought my set. So if you were close to the frame before, something to keep an eye on. Might be one of those situations where you just have to get them on the car and see what’s what.
I don't have the Pro's but my buddy does. They do seem to be slightly wider sidewall to sidewall.

Yes the pro's are slightly wider then the et streets, im not a fan of spacers but i did have to use one on the drivers side to not rub on the frame,
Keep in mind the the fender lip might have to be rolled also for the launch squat. inmo the pro's are the best hooking tires out there,close to slicks