first time at the track with the GN

6gunn

high on gas fumes
I'm heading out to test and tune in a little bit. This will be the first time at the track with the GN. Not sure what to expect but am thinking it should atleast throw down a mid 12.
Mods:
-Te-44 with hard MAF pipe and cone filter
-25psi with alky
-3" RJC downpipe/test pipe/2.5"Hooker super comp mufflers and tail pipes
-Powerlogger with TT 5.7 WB chip and 60# injectors
-Husek built 2004R with 2800 LU
-Nitto 555R DRs 245/50/16

I'll update this thread later with the results. Haven't been to the strip in 5 years. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Subscribing. Very similar to my setup. Kit rn mine last week for first time.

The GN ran like a champ! Drove there and back...not a single problem. I aired the Nittos down to 24psi(maybe I should have went lower) and it hooked well, but the 2nd gear shift would break them loose for a second. A longer burnout seemed to cure that.
I made 6 passes...all with 2.0+ 60foot times. I just can't hold more than a few psi without breaking the DRs loose. No matter what I tried, the 60ft times were horrible.
Results(best of the 6):
60ft.....1/8(mph).....1/4(mph)
2.0...8.1(88.0)...12.6(108.2)
2.2...8.4(88.0)...12.9(108.5)
2.1...8.2(89.0)...12.7(109.5)

Despite the horrible 60ft times, I can't be more impressed with this car. I don't even mind that it 60fts like crap. It's just a fun cruiser anyway...and now I know it's a mid 12 second car. I'm ok with that(until the bug bites me even worse).

Very cool. I have Siamese setup besides I have factory trans and factory downpipe. I just ran 12.9 @107 with 2.3 60 ft time. Seems similar times to yours. I'm hoping to get back there this week and shave some of that 60 ft off. I launchrd at 0 boost FYI.

The GN ran like a champ! Drove there and back...not a single problem. I aired the Nittos down to 24psi(maybe I should have went lower) and it hooked well, but the 2nd gear shift would break them loose for a second. A longer burnout seemed to cure that.
I made 6 passes...all with 2.0+ 60foot times. I just can't hold more than a few psi without breaking the DRs loose. No matter what I tried, the 60ft times were horrible.
Results(best of the 6):
60ft.....1/8(mph).....1/4(mph)
2.0...8.1(88.0)...12.6(108.2)
2.2...8.4(88.0)...12.9(108.5)
2.1...8.2(89.0)...12.7(109.5)

Despite the horrible 60ft times, I can't be more impressed with this car. I don't even mind that it 60fts like crap. It's just a fun cruiser anyway...and now I know it's a mid 12 second car. I'm ok with that(until the bug bites me even worse).
Air the dr down they won't hook at 24psi start at 18psi and leave with boost use the brake to hold the car.should be 60 ft in the 1.6 range. These cars can 60ft great and It drops a ton off the et the fun factor of a good hook will make that grin even bigger:D

Air down, good 5 second burnout and try more boost at launch to hit the tires. A 1.7 60 will feel good, a 1.5 is a grin.

What kind of 60ft would it take to get in the 11s? I didn't even think to air the tires down more...the powerlogger wasn't saving files for some reason and I was too focused on that. I didn't get a single log saved. Maybe I'll have to hit the track again and try 18psi in the tires. Also had some time adjusting to wearing a helmet. I couldn't hear a thing that the motor was doing and one run I broke the tires loose at the line while trying to build boost. I still had a blast either way. This is the fastest car I've ever owned(or ridden in), so this is one heck of a learning curve.

Last edited:
Time to go again. Take your time to start a routine. Make sure you know how to log and save a run with the Powerlogger.

What kind of 60ft would it take to get in the 11s? I didn't even think to air the tires down more...the powerlogger wasn't saving files for some reason and I was too focused on that. I didn't get a single log saved. Maybe I'll have to hit the track again and try 18psi in the tires. Also had some time adjusting to wearing a helmet. I couldn't hear a thing that the motor was doing and one run I broke the tires loose at the line while trying to build boost. I still had a blast either way. This is the fastest car I've ever owned(or ridden in), so this is one heck of a learning curve.
I may be wrong but in my opinion it would need at least a 1.7x 60ft to crack the 11s . Congrats on the times. It's definitely fun and the bug will definitely bite you. When I first got my car I just wanted a 7 second 1/8 mile... then it turned into 7.50s...then .30s...then 7.0x... see where this is going? Lol

With cooler weather and a 1.60 60 foot i bet that car runs 11's @ 111-112

Just set a routine and practice a bit.. 11's all day

What ets are guys running with a 108 trap speed. Just curious I ran high 12's with a launch off idle 2.4 6o ft. time.

Might as well bump this thread because I'm going back this Friday for another try. 2 years later but...better late than never. :oops:
Last test & tune of the season and nothings changed on the cars setup...but the two things I'll be doing differently is airing the tires down to the mid teens or so, and writing down the steps to save the datalogs so I don't forget in the heat of the moment like last time.

Didn't get a chance to run the car again after the track was shut down the next two times I tried...due to a timing system problem and a rain out the following week. That was in the '86 GN.

After getting the '87 GN sorted out(mostly), I hit the track once so far(last season). A mismatched turbo(6776) and tires(245/50/16 Nittos) netted a best time of 12.4 best MPH of 117. Was again plagued with a 2.1 60'. Main issues were building boost on the Nittos, lag from the 6776, and 2nd gear traction problem. Now, I have a better suited turbo(6262) and better tires(275/45/16 Toyo Proxes). Will hit the track when it opens back up for the season and see what she'll do. Hoping to finally be able to make a decent launch. Wastegate set at about 27-28psi
Mods:
-Quick Performance Ford 9" rear w/11.120 drums 35 spline axles 3.40 gears
-adjustable upper control arms
-Alky Control methanol injection
-75lb Lucas fuel injectors
-Precision turbo(6262JB)
-Accufab throttlebody & upper plenum
-3" RJC downpipe w/test pipe
-BeCool aluminum radiator
-Gbody parts front mount intercooler
-4" MAF pipe
-Husek built standard plus trans
-2800-3200 stall 3521LU converter
-MAF translator
-TurboTweak chip 6.1
-powerlogger
-vacuum brake conversion
-ARP head studs
-headers and crossover pipe
-TA heavy duty rocker shafts
-TA rocker shaft studs
-rocker shaft supports
-PTE turbo saver
-Hughes deep trans pan w/7004R filter
-3" steel driveshaft sonnax slip yoke 1350 u joints
-HR parts poly motor mounts(both sides) and trans mount
-Toyo Proxes 275/45/16 DRs

Last edited:
How is it now for spooling? The only thing I try to do is find a set of lightweight 15" rims and get some MT drag radials for the track.

Much quicker than the 6776 for sure. It makes 2nd gear traction worse, but the wider tires definitely help. Also tested out the 275s and they can hold 8psi at 3100RPM before they broke loose. Tires were cold though and at 35psi, so aired down and heated up from a good burnout should make them stick pretty well. Also, I used the E-brake to help it hold...but have since read up on that. Not sure I'll try it again.