First LS build--Fishing for ideas

TurboDetroit

For those of you that have done this...

So after long debate..... (and money) ive decided to put an LS engine on the stand and build it up in hopes of ditching the turbo 3.8.

The Goal is to have a stock block 6.0 capable of running 9.90's on a SAFE tune. I understand that any stock block car is being pushed to its limits running 9's but I'm not gonna push the car too hard anyways. Its mostly a street car.

This is big: i want my engine/turbo setup to look just like the 3.8 setup (front mount turbo/full exhaust/front mount precision intercooler)

The thought:

6.0 Lq4 stock block
4788 turbo
317 heads
ls9 gaskets
victor jr. intake
edelbrock elbow (to mimic the 3.8 setup)
80 lb. injectors
Arp head studs
Arp rod bolts
precision front mount intercooler (have it, mines well use it)

what size cam? (i like those texas speed kits a lot)
which throttle body?
pro charger big red BOV?

for fueling i plan on running dual in-tank walbro 340's to mimic a stock setup. I plan on running a th400 trans with a 9.5 ptc converter and out back with moser axles and a 3.23 eaton posi which is already in the car. I had planned on running the stock ecm with a hp tuner.

Those of you with a g-body has anybody used the ford headers setup for clearance?

Also i currently run an alkycontrol kit from julio spraying M1. Anybody flip this around to work with an LS engine?

how does my build sound.... suggestions welcome, this is my first turbo LS build and i want it to look good. I have a fresh car outta the paint booth and i want to do it justice on the streets....

For those of you that have done this...

So after long debate..... (and money) ive decided to put an LS engine on the stand and build it up in hopes of ditching the turbo 3.8.

The Goal is to have a stock block 6.0 capable of running 9.90's on a SAFE tune. I understand that any stock block car is being pushed to its limits running 9's but I'm not gonna push the car too hard anyways. Its mostly a street car.

This is big: i want my engine/turbo setup to look just like the 3.8 setup (front mount turbo/full exhaust/front mount precision intercooler)

The thought:

6.0 Lq4 stock block
4788 turbo
317 heads
ls9 gaskets
victor jr. intake
edelbrock elbow (to mimic the 3.8 setup)
80 lb. injectors
Arp head studs
Arp rod bolts
precision front mount intercooler (have it, mines well use it)

what size cam? (i like those texas speed kits a lot)
which throttle body?
pro charger big red BOV?

for fueling i plan on running dual in-tank walbro 340's to mimic a stock setup. I plan on running a th400 trans with a 9.5 ptc converter and out back with moser axles and a 3.23 eaton posi which is already in the car. I had planned on running the stock ecm with a hp tuner.

Those of you with a g-body has anybody used the ford headers setup for clearance?

Also i currently run an alkycontrol kit from julio spraying M1. Anybody flip this around to work with an LS engine?

how does my build sound.... suggestions welcome, this is my first turbo LS build and i want it to look good. I have a fresh car outta the paint booth and i want to do it justice on the streets....
hi, im also in the process of finishing up a 408 tt build i have it running tunning it now, for the engine i wouldnt use the stock rods, go with a h beam or good aftermarket I beam, also you will have to use aftermarket pistons as well those stock ls cranks are very strong...but i used a callies just to get more cubes eventhough it isnt needed with a turbo motor, im running a holley hp control unit and all i can say is it is NICE!! as far as your cam is considered im using a cam motion grind 242-238 .050 on a 115..fully ported 317 heads that will probably be swapped for some aftermarket heads as the boost comes up... all arp studs ect, upgrade your rocker fulcrum if using stock, comp cams sell a trunion upgrade, i used the edelbrock intake and elbow as well, but as far as trying to make it look like a 3.8.....good luck... even though my setup almost looks like it belongs like factory....its a beast....and looks it...

hi, im also in the process of finishing up a 408 tt build i have it running tunning it now, for the engine i wouldnt use the stock rods, go with a h beam or good aftermarket I beam, also you will have to use aftermarket pistons as well those stock ls cranks are very strong...but i used a callies just to get more cubes eventhough it isnt needed with a turbo motor, im running a holley hp control unit and all i can say is it is NICE!! as far as your cam is considered im using a cam motion grind 242-238 .050 on a 115..fully ported 317 heads that will probably be swapped for some aftermarket heads as the boost comes up... all arp studs ect, upgrade your rocker fulcrum if using stock, comp cams sell a trunion upgrade, i used the edelbrock intake and elbow as well, but as far as trying to make it look like a 3.8.....good luck... even though my setup almost looks like it belongs like factory....its a beast....and looks it...

By looking stock I just mean have the turbo placement and piping mimic the 3.8 setup with the elbow. What kind of pistons would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

By looking stock I just mean have the turbo placement and piping mimic the 3.8 setup with the elbow. What kind of pistons would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes any good fabricator can put the turbos almost anywhere...as far as pistons go i like CP

Check out Brian tooley racing for all your valve train parts I have his springs pushrods and cam in my motor and couldn't be happier. He also sells his own trunion upgrade that is the exact same as the comp but a few $$ cheaper.

A forged rod/piston 6.0 handle the power you are wanting no problem.

I used a eBay 90mm tb and it works just fine after getting the tps oriented correctly.

For you methanol I used a rpm window switch to turn on my pump its not a variable pressure setup like a controller but it gets the job done.

I have the old hotside off of my car for sale and it orients the turbo similar to the 3.8 setup. Pm me for details if you are interested.

I would also recommend stepping up to dual Walbro 450 pumps same setup just higher output- you can never have to much fuel system with FI.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Check out sloppy mechanics on fb. I believe they have a wikki too.they build their boots on bottom budget. They guy running Matt does a lot of neat things w a basic stick motor and turbo. Worth checking out

If you want to save some money,You dont need to buy an intake and TB.The stock truck intake will take you pretty far. You also dont need allot of cam. I will find you the link to a build that is like what your looking to do. He is also the guy you might want to talk to about a cam. He runs lows 8s @ 160 with a mild 6.0L with a little 218 cam.

KBracing made the right side manifold for me.. truck manifold on left side and I made a cross over pipe, just like the stock Buick set up.

I will be remaking cross over pipe in full stainless. I just could not wait for delivery of stainless pipe. As I am impatient
There is always time to do it twice,LOL

Attachments

• 5.3 turbo 027.JPG
    5.3 turbo 027.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 5.3 turbo 022.JPG
    5.3 turbo 022.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 291
  • 5.3 turbo 028.JPG
    5.3 turbo 028.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 366
Keep the truck intake if you have the clearance....it's actually better flowing than the LS6 intake. You don't need to touch the bottom end either. LJMS stage 2 camshaft and BTR dual springs, VSracing Billet s480 turbo and 210 lb Bosch injectors with the fuel system to support it. Matt made 1076 whp on a totally stock bottom end, stock head junkyard motor, even reusing the stock headgaskets and head bolts. Then he detuned it back to 800 something to be safe and ran mid 9's in his Colorado, which is probably about the same weight as our Buicks, if not slightly more. I live in "sloppy central" and see him and the truck on a fairly regular basis. He drives it, often. It's his work truck and hauler.

I went with KB racing manifold log on my 5.3 LS single 76mm swap in my GN , it for perfect

Attachments

• IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 168
I'm just finishing putting a 6.0 in my 86. No need for an intake, the truck intake is fine. I used the holley mounts and the hood clears just fine. I used the stock driver side truck manifold and made my own log style passenger also, with stock turbo v6 exhaust from cat back. I'm using the 4l80, with holley mounts it fits perfect. On3 78/75 turbo. JFR Isky turbo cam, pac valve springs, stock throttle body, single walbro 400, 80lb injectors, f body throttle cable, front mount ebay intercooler. get the holley pan, I messed around with truck pan for months and finally tossed it. check out lt1 swap website. there's a step by step on reworking the truck wire harness. save $$ I copied a tune from sloppymechanics.

Attachments

• on3.jpg
    on3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 170
  • buick2.jpg
    buick2.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 204
20170104_084656.jpg
20170104_084649.jpg
this is my built. Stock location . I was able to use the pipe from turbo to intercooler but the other pipe have to be shorten.