finding previous owner using vin#

racer5252

how can i find the previous owners name with just a vin # ? i am getting ready to buy a wrecked 2007 truck but would like to talk to the previous owner first.thanks

I searched 2 hours and could only find 1 thread without an answer,thats why i posted my question.
Can i do a title search online or at the title department?

Head down to the DMV. They have forms. Piece of cake. Can take a month or more sometimes.

They will really give out that info??
Would love to get in touch with the original owner of my GN.

Do a search on yahoo for ohio state title search. It will show history of changing owners, dates and mileage. Like a carfax report. It wont show private owner names, only dealership names. Laws were put into effect that prohibits owner's names to be given.

From the Ohio BMV website:

I need to get a title history done on a vehicle. How is this done?

Visit your nearest county Title Office, or download the BMV 1173 Title Request form from our Web site. You may also call to request for a form at 614-752-7671, or write in to the Ohio BMV, Title and Vehicle Information Services section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-6520. You will need to supply the Vehicle Identification Number, the year and make of the vehicle. There is a $5.00 charge for each individual listed in the title history. This history will reveal all previous owner information if you meet the requirements according to the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). Otherwise, you will only receive vehicle information.

What is the DPPA?

The Ohio BMV no longer releases personal information from an individual’s driving record to bulk mail distributors for surveys, marketing or solicitations.

Under House Bill 600(effective June 1, 2000) and the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), personal information to be protected includes the person’s name, date of birth and address. With the "opt-in" policy, a driver’s personal information will only be released if the individual whose information is requested completes a form giving express written consent for disclosure.

A driver’s photograph, social security number, telephone number, and medical or disability information is never released. Information pertaining to a vehicular accident or driving violation will, however, be provided if requested. The list of traffic convictions and points, for example, will not be blocked under the new law.

With the "opt-in" policy, personal information will still be available for situations involving local, state and federal courts or government agencies and insurance-related activity while investigating claims or preventing fraud.

So, for $5 you can see how far you'll get.....