Finally!

RTCarlin

Well, I finally made it to a darned race track tonight. Tried to go up to Richmond last Friday. Checked Weather.com and everything looked good to go. I made it 70 miles up I64 and it started pouring! Had the wife check weather.com on my phone and it said "cloudy"... Wettest damned clouds I've ever seen....

So today, Richmond and Outer Banks aren't running. So checked the weather down in Hertford. Supposed to be rain and scattered thunderstorms. Called the track around 5pm and they said it was perfect weather. Gathered up the wife, laptop, and car and headed down.

Got to make 4 passes. I left the car in street trim... 21# boost, 93 octane, alcohol, MT Radials. I took the tires down to 17# and hit the staging lanes.

Run #1: When I shifted from trans-brake, something let loose in the shifter. Didn't come out of the brake. Managed to get it into gear and putted down the track... boo.... upon investigating, found i had ripped the shifter cable in half! boo!!!!! Luckily, the column shift linkage is in the car. I was able to grab the steering column and shift that way.

Run #2: Foot Brake no boost. 60' = 1.86 1/8=7.495 @ 95.776

Run #3: Foot Brake 2# boost 60' = 1.707 1/8=7.23 @ 96.799

Run #4: Same as #3. 60' = 1.701 1/8=7.20 @ 96.983

So, I guess i'm overall happy with the day. Nothing major broke and the car turned some decent times. I'm pretty sure if I was able to launch at around 7-10# with the trans-brake, I could have got into the 1.5's for 60ft's... At this point I think my goal is a 6.9 without moving up to race gas or increasing the boost.

Hertford isn't such a bad track. I seemed to hook great... though, 1.7 60's aren't exactly amazing... Everyone seemed nice and was willing to lend helping hands..

I'm ordering a new shifter and am going to have to replace the cable I guess. Anyone changed out the cable before?

---Ron

Pull out the console have at it. Note end of cable hookup to trans for alignment purposes.
While your there replace shifter indicator lite. 2 weeks after replacing cable my lite burned out.