Finally swapped in new PTC converter

I was told not to use Dex 6 as well by a very well known builder. Dex 3 or type F. I have been running type f in my trans since 2011. Finally changed it last year to try hy gard.

I was told not to use Dex 6 as well by a very well known builder. Dex 3 or type F. I have been running type f in my trans since 2011. Finally changed it last year to try hy gard.
Yeah I ran the type f for a while too. Very firm shifts. I liked it but then one of the most respected trans builder on this site recommended Dex VI so been running that ever since. Many ways to skin the cat I guess and everyone has their favorite fluid. To each his own I guess...

Yeah, not trying to start anything but I don't feel that is very good advice. But to each his own. I'll leave it at that. Tons of threads here on that subject already...
That's fine. No problems here bud. Just what I heard from my trans builder. I wasn't recommending not using it.

I need to play with the TV I think I left it where it was, but it seemed to short shift 1-2 else it just spun hard and shifted. It was hard to be sure it did spin some but just a little in second kicking the rear to the side. No smoke just some short black marks when I hit it off idle as a test.
Car really looses power when the temps hit about 80 outside .

For the money the old converter was pretty darn good I think looking back.
I am hoping for about at .3-.5 and 3-5 mph gain with this unit though.
Hate to get my hopes up. Lol
23-24 psi go from 12.55@110.33 to 12.0 @115-116.
Anyone want to hazard the guess the et game ? 60 foot was 2.026 1/8 was 8.129@89.25, 1000 was 10.51 in od at that point . I think I got at 12.45 with a 109.8 on a 1.94 60ft on the second pass.
Don't know when I'll get to go race though.
Removal video attached playing with time elapse.

It's never a good idea to leave it in OD under full throttle. I run mine out in Drive till I hit the finish line. Then shift to OD to relax the drivetrain while slowing down. You will see your ET's drop quite a bit by running it through in D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rpms on a level flat road believe it or not is 1700-1850..(60MPH) have seen 1600-1650 occasionally at 55 mph. but who drives that slow...LOL> mines 3000 ptc NL/U..only up slight grades/ hills or briskly on the throttle steady will it get 2000-2200..

following, interesting and have had recommendations about what type fluid to run. Is it what type based on climate for those Trans builders? Or is it like I've been raised on Ford or Chevy or Dodge and that's all that I will touch? I've seen the recommendations and it probably is the discretion of the tranny builder, Now, not to get off the original subject I am going to be following this because I may be in the market for TC, currently running a pink Vigilante. best I've been is 12.08 in 1/4, but I feel car has more in it and the TC is not pulling hard enough to the end.

currently running a pink Vigilante. best I've been is 12.08 in 1/4, but I feel car has more in it and the TC is not pulling hard enough to the end.

I've also got a pink vigilante multi disk converter, too. I've got down to a 12.1x in the 1/4, and i think mine is also just giving up on the top end. I just got a 3021 HF from Husek, so I'm curious to see what mph I can gain. Does your car usually have a high cruise RPM like mine does?

I went 11.55 @ 119.5 with the stock unlocked D5 converter and unopened longblock like 3 years ago. I think the stock converter is underappreciated.

Edit: very good air. Like -1800 DA

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Went 120 with my stock d5, went 124 with a PTC nlu and building boost/launching was sooo much easier. Stock motor with valve springs and a 6262.

Not track time, but a true first drive.
I tightened the TV cable 2 clicks for the drive and the shift points seem spot on now and much firmer.
I do have to lift a little to let it shift to OD and it has to be over 45 mph which is ok with me just taking some getting used to .

I could really feel the tighter coupling at cruise. 60 mph on the scanmaster with the cruise set it was steady 1950 to 2000 RPM .
on some pretty good hills I saw about 2200 where the old on would go to 2500-2600.
just felt tighter and the engine rpm was almost like it was a lock up... I really had to look rather than feel or hear it change going up hills.
I am liking it allot... if it picks up at the track I will be tickled pink !

Curious if you ever got any times with the new converter. I've always used Type F and ran in the high nines with mine until it broke. Still use Type F. They say our kits aren't completely compatible with Dex VI. Keep us posted on that. thanks!

Fyi I have been using dex 6 in a really fast gn for over 25k and hundreds of passes in a duel fed billet 200 from Dave husek.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I wouldn't have bothered with a nl converter to begin with. I went 11.7 with the stock D5 and later went 11.3 with a Pat's 12" lock up. Your 60' suck, that's where to you need to work on. The right converter would help there too.

I've also got a pink vigilante multi disk converter, too. I've got down to a 12.1x in the 1/4, and i think mine is also just giving up on the top end. I just got a 3021 HF from Husek, so I'm curious to see what mph I can gain. Does your car usually have a high cruise RPM like mine does?
What pump "Vigilante" converter you running. I used the "0" pump 5 disk LU vigilante with stock cam heads crank etc and have ran many 11.XX passes and locking the converter at the top of third i would always see a 700-900rpm drop when locking the converter, usually picked up 20+ mph on the big end. Ive always used Amsoil super duty atf and Dex 6. Sorry a bit off topic.

Last edited:
Sorry, changing jobs kinda has me out of the car game right now.
I'm sure there are others going way faster than I with even less invested. I got in with some turbo Buick guys and they steered me toward the non lock trans when my factory one started to get soft on the shifts. I did drive the GN this last weekend though felt good hope to get a track pass in 2018 in May.

Oh and if you can tell me how to get the car to hook on a 275-50-15 drag radial I'd appreciate it too !

Oh and if you can tell me how to get the car to hook on a 275-50-15 drag radial I'd appreciate it too !

What's you rear suspension look like, and how much PSI you have in those tires? You should at least box the control arms and have decent bushings. I like to run about 18-19 PSI. When I fill them to 24 PSI for long travels I get immensely less traction.