File fit ring question

file fit rings have more ring than you need and may require file just to get them in with zero gap , from there you file to get your desired gap for each ring and for each cylinder
non file fit are rings that should have the proper gap, usually for a cheap rebuild , but i would never assume that they would be good out of box , check them in the bores and if your gaps are too tight they need to be filed to fit .. if too big a gap you may want to order a different ring set

I was wondering just in case I couldn't get file fit rings and the only option was buy non file fit rings.

There is no difference between a file fit ring and a non file fit ring. What 'file fit' means is that it's actually sized for a bore .005" bigger than rated. Basically a file fit 3.830" ring (.030" over) is a 3.835" ring.

Since we use much wider gaps than N/A a lot of time a non file-fit ringset is the ticket. Keep in mine gap increases at a rate of Pi. Every .001" of bore size is 3.14 thou of ring meat that needs to be removed.

Last edited:
There is no difference between a file fit ring and a non file fit ring. What 'file fit' means is that it's actually sized for a bore .005" smaller than rated.

Since we use much wider gaps than N/A a lot of time a non file-fit ringset is the ticket. Keep in mine gap increases at a rate of Pi. Every .001" of bore size is 3.14 thou of ring meat that needs to be removed.
3.14159265359....:woot:

There is no difference between a file fit ring and a non file fit ring. What 'file fit' means is that it's actually sized for a bore .005" smaller than rated.

That's the answer I was looking for thanks.