fiberglass hoods

jlat

hello people: how many of you have one? I don't race so I know it's not needed but my hood needs paint and every time I open the hood I say to myself " this hood weighs a ton" It's got to be the most weight saving you could do. Do you think engine heat would affect the FH? Then different hood parts would be needed. I wonder why the Spool don't do one? What would be the pros and cons?

IBBY

Last edited:

Mr.Spool

hello people: how many of you have one? I don't race so I know it's not needed but my hood needs paint and every time I open the hood I say to myself " this hood weighs a ton" It's got to be the most weight saving you could do. Do you think engine heat would affect the FH? Then different hood parts would be needed. I wonder why the Spool don't do one? What would be the pros and cons?

IBBY
there are different levels of fiberglass but in general fiberglass hoods are alot lighter,takes the weight off the front of the car.the cal hartline one is the best one i have seen and is closest to stock appearing. fiberglass stuff needs more prep work and usually will not come out from paint as good as a steel hood.but i will say i had one done 2 years ago and it came out great and is going strong.the lightweight stuff will but wavvy and will flex especially as you drive the car.the hartline hood is heavier but the quality is much better and it shows when painted.consider the cost and goals before you buy,there is freight,the hood,paint etc.it gets up there fast,plus you need different hood shocks.

Here are a few pictures of mine...

Claude.

DSCN6113.JPG
DSCN6114.JPG
DSCN6115.JPG
DSCN6116.JPG

jlat

hello people: And hello to TFFY. I think your car was at Cottons when mine was in the past? Maybe not? But do FG hoods need hood pins? I think I see insulation but would it be smart to have it? How do you like?
IBBY

Yes it's quite possible you saw my car at Jack Cotton's shop... About the hood, it's a Token Fiberglass hood which I bought used from Jack and had it restored meticulously. I'm not saying this because it's mine but there ain't no other fiberglass hood like this one anywhere. My friend put countless hours (cost me a bundle... Ouch!) to make it smooth as glass both on top as well as under it, adding a colored "turbo 6 turbocharged" logo buried in clear. All the seams were filled and sanded smooth and I added a set of "Quik Latch" flat black hood pin kit. It still has the factory hood latch but I wanted the pins for both appearance and also better safety at the track.
Claude.

jlat

hi: I never met TFFY but our cars were both at Cottons as the shop had to do some ugly work to get the body bushing to work due to rot I believe TFFY had said something. My car is the black and grey one. Any way I don't think his car stays outside much and that has nothing to do with heat but more just a little talk...
IBBY