Fiberglass hood spring- where to get?

VtheGNMan

I am looking for a source that sells softer hood pop up springs for a fiberglass hood. Hartline sells the hood but does not sell the spring. They recommend just a sprinkler pop up spring from the hardware store but my local stores do not carry anything like it.
Does anyone have a good source for getting them?
Thanks for any direction you might provide.

Best bet is a set of worn out factory ones. I may be able to get you a set. My old man's car has a good that doesn't stay up. I'll ask him next time I'm out that way.

I think your asking about the spring on the front of the hood correct? I am also looking for one as well. I'm going to attempt to cut my oe one? Also I remember the tta rear decklid had 2 spring/ adjusters that may work??

Yes, I am looking for the spring, not the shocks. Shocks are the easy part.
When I did a search on here I couldn't believe the amount of fiberglass hood owners that had no place to get the spring.

I am looking for something also, the sprinkler spring is a good idea, never thought of that. I have seen guys run springs on the hood pins (if you have them) but never was able to figure out where they came from.

Ace Hardware usually has a good selection of compression and tension springs.
I picked up a small compression spring for the fuel adjustment screw on my snowblower there, they had larger ones as well.

Ace Hardware's are a dying breed unfortunately. Closest one to me is having a going out of business sale. I'll see I can swing in though.

Vince, I had a friend who was sending a few old cars to the junkyard and I gathered a few hood springs from them to see which one worked best with my fiberglass hood and the one which had just the right tension and I decided to use was from a Chevy Citation. Here are two pics of it below… Hope this helps...

Claude. ;)
Fiberglass hood #1.jpg
Fiberglass hood #2.jpg

Claude that helps a lot! How'd you attach the spring?
I like the logo painted on the bottom side of the hood too!

Claude that helps a lot! How'd you attach the spring?
I like the logo painted on the bottom side of the hood too!
Vince, I made two small clips out of aluminium which have a hole in them so you can screw them into the fiberglass using two short screws. I'm including a picture but it might not be 100% clear though…

Claude. :)
Fiberglass hood #3.jpg

There is an old thread somewhere that Holly @ Hartline says to get a starter bendix from a Chevrolet. Anybody go this rout?

I rolled the proverbial $9 dice and bought a Jeep Wrangler hood pop up spring off fleabay that looked promising. While I don't get my Hartline Hood back from paint for at least a couple more days I think this spring shows real promise. Almost just as tall, quite a bit easier to compress and even has a built in mounting tab and contact pad. Picture with both springs shows the Jeep Spring in comparison to the stock spring at the top.
It was part #55176732AD

Once I get my hood back and mounted I will update the thread again with the results if this is a good spring or not.

Attachments

• 102_0926.JPG
    102_0926.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 197
  • 102_0927.JPG
    102_0927.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
Update. The spring I mentioned above works great on a fiberglass hood. I'll take a picture how it's mounted and post too but this is a great option for those looking.

Here's a picture of the spring mounted. The spring has a little tab on the back side that probably fits into a slot on the Jeep it's made for. I needed it sit flat so I ground that off. I put a double sided 3M emblem tape on the back too as there is only 1 mounting screw and I wanted to eliminate the possibility of it twisting off center. I lined up the pad of the spring to sit into the dish on the radiator mounting plate too.

Sits great in the pocket, compresses nicely, latches easily and still has a good "pop" to it when you pull the hood release.

Attachments

• 102_1011.JPG
    102_1011.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 297
Thanks for that picture, I'll be ordering one up for sure for my hood. The rubber pad will protect the powder coat on my aluminum radiator support too.

Thanks again for sharing.

I am just glad to have found a great solution for this spring. Hartline should stock these and offer them to the people buying new hoods. Easy add on sale for them.

kirban 2 cents worth

this issue we addressed years ago when we made the first fiberglass hoods. the easy method is don;t mount the spring on the hood instead mount it on the core support look at the small half moon area and I believe I recommended cutting down the original spring and simply slip it under the half moon lip on the core support. presto nothing else needed.

My description may not be accurate but you will clearly see somewhere on your core support not the hood this half moon area simply pry it slightly and loop the spring into it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com