FAST Classic sequential vs Bank to Bank

Whut

Addicted to Boost!
Hey all, I have a FAST Classic sequential that I am having repaired. In the interim I am running a FAST Classic Bank to Bank box. Has anyone done this change before? Is there anything I should change in my tune? I will be racing again soon and just want to make sure I am running safely.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The program will be close but you will need to tweak the ve tables for sure.

Classic FAST ESC ?

Abe:
Not to hijack your post but I was hoping you would ask about the knock retard, Bank box VS Sequential box. How is the knock retard shown. Is there a difference? The Phyiscal dimensions of the box and the number of in /out connections didn't change, yet there are more features in the Sequential box with the individual cylinder control. Was there compromises made to some other areas like knock retard. What about how the actual spark advance is shown? This is the area of your box that we have in question. It seems that I remember with the Bank box upon install the engine wouldn't run without the ESC signal wire connected. I think I remember that the Sequential box didn't require this.

The program will be close but you will need to tweak the ve tables for sure.

Thanks, should I trim or add? I ask because I was just at a show, dang near 100 degree ambient temps and the cops let us run a quarter mile laser speed test on a run way. I logged the pass and things looked really good, a little smoke out the back from sitting at idle for almost 20 minutes. Single digit o2 correction, everything looked good. I hit 120 MPH with a soft start and letting out a bit (its weird going WOT right at a squad all lit up). The less I bother Cal the better :D

Tom, I did some searching before I posted this and it seems very few SFI boxes read KR. Thats all I could find, maybe Norbs knows more as I am also interested in this. It would be nice to be able to read KR with my original box and get yours back to you. Thanks for letting me use it BTW.

Some of those questions your asking are beyond my scope of information, Cal hartine would know. All i do know is only a few experimental sefi boxes were made with knock retard and the batch boxes had knock retard standard. As for the knock showing up and showing the reduced timing I do not recall if that worked like that. I know you want to use this to prevent engine damage but the whole system is in my opinion not going to save you in time from hurting it, it is just electronically too slow. I am having good results with my js knock box, but its over $600 and you have to decide if you want to spend that kind of coin to save your motor in the long run. It can detect knock that you would never see or even hear, and react before the piston fires again. Sorry to knock your hopes down.

Some of those questions your asking are beyond my scope of information, Cal hartine would know. All i do know is only a few experimental sefi boxes were made with knock retard and the batch boxes had knock retard standard. As for the knock showing up and showing the reduced timing I do not recall if that worked like that. I know you want to use this to prevent engine damage but the whole system is in my opinion not going to save you in time from hurting it, it is just electronically too slow. I am having good results with my js knock box, but its over $600 and you have to decide if you want to spend that kind of coin to save your motor in the long run. It can detect knock that you would never see or even hear, and react before the piston fires again. Sorry to knock your hopes down.

There is something to be said about mashing it and going without worrying about blowing anything up. I will look into this device.

Its not the cure for being totally wrong with your tune, more of an insurance policy with limited coverage.

Abe, you're not bothering me. The tune should be very close when switching between the two boxes. On your 6 cylinder box, even though it is called a B2B, it is actually firing the injectors sequentially, albeit out of phase. This is not the case with B2B boxes for 4 & 8 cylinder applications. This is why Buick B2B boxes run larger injectors better than the other applications that are cutting the p/w in half and firing twice as much. As for the ESC, etc.. it varies from box to box. There was only so many things the old FAST boxes could do. Most of the ones I tuned, had fan and fuel pump control, and IAC control. They didn't usually have ESC or NOS control. On my own SEFI box, I had "O2 ignore" which would turn the WBO2 correction off when the ESC wire was grounded. I used this when I was on the 2 step.

Thanks Cal, it looks like things are working pretty good. I am getting my t-brake fixed tomorrow so racing should be good now that its getting cold here. If you have a moment can you try and get in touch with Craig Smith? I am up and running now so its not a huge hurry but I would like to get my box looked at and make sure everything is A-ok before next spring.

Thanks for all your help Cal.

Hi everyone,

I just responded to Abe in a PM about this but I believe the SEFI Buick boxes did have ESC control available, just as the B2B systems did. As Cal mentioned there were some options at some point (for the SEFI) that allowed that input to be used for other functions such as inhibiting O2 sensor operation, which is a nice feature to enable when a 2-step is activated. That required different firmware though.