FAST classic and windows 10

robert duncan

I'm thinking about replacing my rear end housing bushings with new urethane units. Has anyone done this job? Can you do it in the car and what is the procedure?

I did mine with the housing out of the car, although I imagine it's possible in the car, just more difficult. The HR parts tool made it a breeze (again, out of the car)

I'm not familiar with that tool. Does it just push the old one out? And if so, how do you install the new one?

I did it with the rear still on the car, using the HRPartsNStuff tool.
It went smoothly, but make sure that you stop half way and back the tool out and reposition it.(Mentioned in the directions.)
I bent the threaded rod on my tool by getting too greedy and trying to pull the second old bushing out with just one shot. (Since the first one came out so easily using the pull halfway, then reposition method.) Live and learn!!

I was able to use the tool to install the new bushings, even with the threaded rod slightly bent.
Lube up the inside of the ears with Anti-Seize and they went in like butter!

Good Luck & ENJOY !!!

I replaced mine while the axle was in the car as well with the tool I borrowed.
I replaced the upper control arms one at a time with UMI urethane units at the same time.

I believe using a 1/2” treaded rod, heavy duty washers and large sockets would accomplish the task if you have access to them.
You would be pulling the old one out into the larger socket and pulling the new one back into the housing.

Thanks very much, all of you. Yeah, it's a job we don't often do, and in my many decades of working on both A bodies and G-bodies, I never replaced these rear end mounting bushings. :D

Do not put poly in the UCA locations.

replace them with new rubber bushings.You can sort of get away with poly in the lowers, but not the uppers.

The rear suspension requires the UCA to change length in order to not bind and cause a loss of control. The only way that can happen is if the UCAs are rubber bushed.

Been there, done that, almost put it into a tree. Snap oversteer trying avoid something is a bad thing.