Fan is not kicking on at all, overheating.

Nic87gn

My 87 Gn's radiator fan isn't kicking on at all. I know about the 3 relays on drivers side under hood, relay #22 coolant fan delay relay, #23 low speed fan and #24 high speed fan relay. Any ideas before I start spending money?

Could be the radiator fan switch. Search on Advance's website for it. It has one wire and is located on front of the intake manifold, driver side.

Run some test leads directly from the battery to the fan itself first and see if it still works. If so, get a volt meter and see if you have power going to the fan relays. I seem to recall that they are fed through a fusible link.

Go into vortex buick. There's a whole fan diagnostic section. I had same problem a few months ago. It walks you through it.

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113

Could be the radiator fan switch. Search on Advance's website for it. It has one wire and is located on front of the intake manifold, driver side.

That switch is more of a failsafe. It comes on at 215 on with the fan on high. The ECM usually turns it on at a lower temp on low.

For a quick test of the fan pull the wire off that sensor and ground it to the block the fan should come on

Go into vortex buick. There's a whole fan diagnostic section. I had same problem a few months ago. It walks you through it.

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113
Thanks for the info! Thanks for the help guys can't wait to figure out the problem this weekend.

That switch is more of a failsafe. It comes on at 215 on with the fan on high. The ECM usually turns it on at a lower temp on low.

For a quick test of the fan pull the wire off that sensor and ground it to the block the fan should come on
Thanks for the help!

I disagree. My fan was coming on when the temp was around 215 and then shutting off around 200. Turned out that switch was at fault. Drove me crazy because I knew the fan worked. I thought maybe a gremlin got into the chip or something and only commanded the fan to come on at 215.

Modern computer chips (or most older ones for that matter) turn the fan on sooner than 215. My fan switch is not connected but the harness is connected to a toggle switch inside I use to cool the engine down in the pits at the dragstrip.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Happened to me too. That's why I mentioned the fusible link in post #3. I moved the fan relay feed to run directly off the back post of the alternator and relocated the fusible link into that new connection. Easier to check and service that circuit now.